Options

SPARE TIRE UNDER TONGUE ON 320

gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
edited October 2019 in Modifications & Upgrades
I see in the new video that Nu-Camp might be putting spare tire under the trailer tong in the 320 like the 400 does. Anyone tried this? Art
2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge

Comments

• Options
    robvasirobvasi Member Posts: 10
    A moment-arm analysis of the impact of moving the spare wheel and tire two feet forward revealed that this will more than double its contribution to the tongue weight.  Something to consider. 
    2019 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge.
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with 5.7L Hemi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ...not to mention ground clearance...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2019
    I have a skinny donut spare mounted under the tongue box, that utilizes a wind down/up mechanism.  I find it to be a very practical modification to our 320, that solves a lot of issues.  I have previously posted details for anyone that may be interested...
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I think the ground clearance would be the problem. I'd immediately move it, if it came to me that way from the factory. We've already bashed the tongue jack shaft twice on two high driveway entrances.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    ChanW said:
    I think the ground clearance would be the problem. I'd immediately move it, if it came to me that way from the factory. We've already bashed the tongue jack shaft twice on two high driveway entrances.
    I agree with you -I'd remove it to

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • Options
    marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    Just bought a 2021 T@B 320S and the spare is under the tongue. Not anxious to crawl under there in the event of a flat. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @marjamr, If the tire lift works like the 400’s, you use the manual tool provided to lower the tire from under the tongue. When done, raise it back.  I think the mechanism is on the door side, the passenger side of the tongue. 

If you have it, read the caution—do NOT use a drill to raise and lower the tire. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    Verna, thanks. I’ll check that. When I peeked under the tire it looked like a large wing nut was holding the tire on. Similar to the spare tires you see in many car trunks. I checked the tongue box but didn’t see any tire lowering device in there. 
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @marjamr
    Look on the right hand side of the frame rail just barely aft of the tub.  There will be something looking like a 19mm hex nut with a label saying which way to turn it to lower or raise the tire.  BTW, when the tire lands on the ground you still need to lower the winch some more in order to get enough slack in the cable to remove the "wing nut" from the tire.
    You should have received a small ratchet wrench with your trailer.  Use that to raise and lower the tire.
    OK, having said that last and adhered to the official school-approved solution, let me add that you actually CAN use a battery powered drill to operate the spare tire winch as well as the stabilizers.  The caveat being that you USE A SLOW SPEED ON THE DRILL.  The idea of the drill is not to do it faster but to avoid (for us decrepit old geezers) all that hand cranking.  If you try to use a drill at high speed on the spare tire winch I can almost guarantee you will end up with a snarled cable.  And unsnarling it is worse than trying to undo all the knots in a three year old's shoelaces.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Thanks, @falcon1970. It’s hard being a recliner chair pilot at times!😂😂.

I have two choices to get to the T@B and both of them entail a 30% grade either in my yard or 2nd driveway😂. It’s too steep for these knees after dark!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    JimSter48JimSter48 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone tried to find a compact spare for a 320??
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited September 2021
    On my 320S 2021 the spare resides within the tongue "A" and hangs down only a few inches. If this hits anything there will be other issues. I've found lowering the tire to use isn't real hard but getting it lined up to return requires some work. I much prefer this location as it allows other uses for the front deck than putting a (rarely used) tire there. Tongue weight change is valid for moving from the back but should be about the same as mounted on the front carrier. I'm glad I never had to deal with clearance and accessibility issues of the former low back position.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    pmfarrell099pmfarrell099 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks. Makes sense. I also have a 2021 320S. You say that lowering the tire isn't real hard. I don't understand what the procedure is. An earlier post mentions "a 19mm hex nut with a label saying which way to turn it to lower or raise the tire." Not clear what TAB model is being referenced. There is no such thing on my trailer. What I see lying on my back is in the attached image. There is what looks like a big wing nut in the middle that appears to be holding the tire in place. Am I really supposed to loosen that and risk having the tire fall on me? 
  • Options
    Yoshi_TABYoshi_TAB Member Posts: 372
    edited July 2022
    Hi,  On my 320, the access point to  lower the tire is inside the front center tub at the bottom.  There is a hole that you place the tool (same one that lowers the stablizers).  You place the tool through the hole and crank.  The tire will lower.  Best wishes...
    2021 TAB 320 BD
    2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Southern Maryland
  • Options
    CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 439
    edited July 2022
    I also have a 2021 320 @pmfarrell099 and the access to lower the spare is in the cargo box; it uses the same size nut as the stabilizers, just as @Yoshi_TAB describes. It's near the front wall and just to the passenger side of the propane tank. Here are some photos that may help.
    The bolt on the retaining ring for the propane tank should face the opposite way from the above photo for easier access - here's a shot with the bolt in that orientation.

2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • Options
    pmfarrell099pmfarrell099 Member Posts: 5
    Very helpful. Thank you.