Options

I won’t be renewing my Good Sam Roadside Assistance

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

I won’t be renewing my Good Sam Roadside Assistance

It happens to nearly everyone at some point in his or her life. That humiliating realization that you have run out of gas as you coast to the shoulder of the road. If you are lucky, it does not happen on a busy road, like I-80, but that is exactly where it happened to me.

It all started around Sidney, NE, where I stopped to fill my tank. Every once in a while, I come across a pump that does not like my capless gas tank and the pump keeps shutting off, long before the tank is full. This is likely what happened to me in Sidney, and I did not notice, probably because I was busy washing the front and rear windshields and cleaning out trash while the tank filled, or so I thought. The lack of a full tank might not have done me in, alone, however, but driving into a strong headwind, was the second blow against me.

I noticed the low fuel warning, just past Cheyenne, but by all accounts, I had enough gas to reach the gas station that my Jeep showed in Buford, Wyoming. I remembered this gas station, I had stopped there in 2013, and that it had a population of 1. I had even recently seen it featured in a story somewhere. But, to my dismay, as I pulled off of the interstate, cleared the underpass, and turned into the parking lot, this gas station was now boarded up.

“I think I might be able to make it to Laramie”, I half though and half hoped, but soon after returning to the I-80, I could sense the car running out of gas and coasted to the shoulder. Though less than ideal, I knew what the problem was and had 2 different roadside assistance plans, so I was confident that although this would cause a delay, and some humiliation, those would be the extent of my inconvenience.

After digging through the stack of cards that never get used in my wallet, I located the Good Sam Roadside Assistance card. I spent a long time on hold. I don’t remember exactly how long but the entire call length was over 23 minutes, per my call history. Here is how that call unfolded.

After the lengthy hold, the less than friendly customer service representative started by asking me routine questions. She kept pressing me on whether I felt safe or not. I did feel as safe as one could feel on the side of I-80 and that is essentially what I communicated to her. She seemed bent on trying to get me say that I felt unsafe. When she finally elicited some version of that from me, she put me on hold. After a lengthy hold, she returned and informed that she had contacted local law enforcement and than begin to end the contact. I interrupted her and asked if she was sending someone out with gas. She indicated that they were not and that essentially Good Sam was off of the hook after they called the police. I tried to continue the conversation and she hung up on me. You can imagine how thrilled I was at this point. I tried calling back and got the same woman who immediately hung up when she realized it was me. I had not been rude, impatient, or difficult with her. This was all her. Thankfully, I have roadside assistance through Nationwide Assistance, as well. I sent a request through the app, someone contacted me with 2 minutes, and I had gas within 39 minutes, with the driver contacting me regularly to keep me posted about his whereabouts. I also met a very nice Wyoming State Trooper in the time I was waiting for the Nationwide assistance.

I have had three instances where I called Good Sam. The first one was when I was a new owner and had a little difficulty with my ground wire and lights. The experience was similar: they were useless. I gave them another chance and when I needed a flat tire changed, my experience was decent. This last experience was all I needed to know that I will not be renewing my roadside assistance.

But, like I mentioned, this was a small bump, on an otherwise great trip and I have learned that if I expect a couple of things to go wrong, it is not very disappointing when they happen. Rocky and I pressed on and arrive at the KOA in Rawlins, WY, just as the sun set over the Red Desert.

Rocky Stretching His Legs In Rawlins

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @jkjenn
    I cannot recount the numerous times someone has told me about a poor experience with Good Sam (or their parent RV stores).  I am amazed they manage to still stay in business.
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I also had to wait for Good Sam and guess what they had to call TRIPLE A! So I am now with Triple A to eliminate the middle man Good Sam! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    110 degrees in Phoenix. Flat tire on the freeway. Call GEIGO roadside assistance. They say “help” will be there within 40 minutes. They give me the phone number of the tow company. At 55 minutes with no “help” in sight, I call the tow company who informs me they never change tires on the freeway for safety reasons. They stated that to the GEICO rep. Tow company would be willing to tow my vehicle to a safe location so that the flat could be repaired. Estimated time for the tow, another 45 minutes. Did I mention it’s 110 degrees? Decided to fix the flat myself using my spare tire.  Called GEICO to complain and find they couldn’t care less. What if I was a parent with three children in the vehicle with no water? That also fell on deaf ears. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    You wouldn’t think you would need to ask your roadside assistance provider if they change a tire!  We need a list of key questions to have answered before paying for a membership.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    Interesting, I had just joined Good Sam club and was considering signing up for their roadside assistance thing, but on the Good Sam forum there's several similar complaints. Is there a better alternative like AAA?
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    grsiepka said:
    Interesting, I had just joined Good Sam club and was considering signing up for their roadside assistance thing, but on the Good Sam forum there's several similar complaints. Is there a better alternative like AAA?
    My Nationwide assistance was very responsive. Check with your insurance company. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I have had AAA for many years. Every once in a while, I've needed gas, or a tow (radiator hose), help with a tire lug nut that was frozen, locked car, dead battery in someone else's car....  All over the country, sometimes waaay in the middle of nowhere and they have come through every single time.  Due to a sale sale discount I could get, I recently picked up a Good Sam membership. Sounds like they will be the last people I'll call. Actually won't need to.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    AAA roadside assistance varies from area to area, and it doesn't depend on the area you break down in, but the area of where your membership originates. Our AAA offers no coverage for trailers whatsoever. If we break down with our trailer, they will tow the vehicle and leave the trailer by the side of the road. That's unacceptable to me, so I've taken a chance on Good Sam membership. I hope I never have to try it out! 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My sister has AAA+RV (same as myself). Her Class C’s transmission went out in British Columbia. AAA towed her to the closest garage which was 50 miles away. No charge. 

I have checked with a Hoosier AAA a few times since I signed up for the RV coverage when I had my Silver Shadow and they still promise that if the truck needs towed, the T@B will be towed also. I’ll stick with my AAA. I also have coverage through Ford and State Farm, but I have not used them.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    AAA has worked well for us over the years. When we purchased our T@B we added their Plus RV service to our subscription.
    http://www.aaa.com/aaa/115/benefits_comparison.pdf
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I use AAA. I had it for my companies fleet, and thus I got it too. Used it once so far when I had a front rotor seize. They have 100 mile free, plus the app keeps you up to date on the status, not to mention I got a call from the driver. I’ll have to look into the +RV feature...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Be careful with AAA. That RV version is not available here in Central Massachusetts. They straught out told me that if I broke down with the trailer, nothing concerning the trailer would be covered, including a flat on the trailer, or towing it if out TV broke down. Other AAA clubs do have this coverage, but it's not universal. 
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, @jkjenn, for the heads-up about the cap-less gas tank, since we just got one in our new CRV (not for towing).  Hope we'll remember to check our gauge to make sure it's full after getting gas.
    We added roadside assistance to our USAA insurance on our T@B.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    We get the same info from our local AAA. Even with the Plus RV plan, the trailer would be left by the side of the road if we broke down. The Plus RV plan is for self powered RVs... At least  if you purchase here in Western New York
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    Perhaps it varies by state or region but here's what it says in the PDF I posted above.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Wonder how the AAA RV works if you are in a different region and need service?

I have had AAA for a few years but haven't added the Tab coverage. It is available in my state.

I actually want to check into the FMCA plans, they sound good and I have yet to hear any issues.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    My understanding is that your AAA coverage is dependent on what region your coverage is in, not your breakdown. So if your coverage is from AAA in Central Massachusetts, or Western New York, for example, and you break down in wherever they do provide coverage for trailers, you are STILL OUT OF LUCK.  That's what I decided to take a chance on Good Sam, because supposedly they'll cover trailers no matter where you are. Hopefully, if I ever need to check it out, I won't be disappointed. 
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Deb55 said:
    Be careful with AAA. That RV version is not available here in Central Massachusetts. They straught out told me that if I broke down with the trailer, nothing concerning the trailer would be covered, including a flat on the trailer, or towing it if out TV broke down. Other AAA clubs do have this coverage, but it's not universal. 
    Nor in Western NY. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @dragonsdofly thanks for the info, that is how I figured it would work and good to hear 1st hand it does work that way. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise if it was only good in your state.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    SunbumSunbum Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the info, glad I didn’t was my money or time
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I had to chuckle to myself as my friend Tom gave me one if his extra Good Sam cards back in 2015 while we were driving up to Alaska.  He told me to try it at the gas pump at Flying J or Pilot as I would get 5 cents a gallon discount.  I still carry that same card and have been using it since that day and still receive a discount!   Tells you something about their record keeping as I’m certain he hasn’t signed up since then.  😂

And sorry about your unfortunate incident Jenn as I’ve had close calls like that before.  We were pulling the trailer through Oklahoma back in July, talking away as we traveled and suddenly the fuel light pings on!  I was literally coasting down big hills and feathering the gas pedal for nearly 20 miles sweating bullets but did manage to coast into a gas station along a long stretch of desolate highway.  Some of those long stretches out in Nebraska and Wyoming are desolate and the same goes for Texas as you could easily find yourself stranded having missed the last best chance at getting gas.  Scary times for sure!!!
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ