Options

Hail Protection

DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
We were going to take our T@B out for a getaway overnighter today, but some pretty gnarly cumulonimbus clouds were building up north where we were headed so we backed off.  Not that we were concerned about rain, after all, one of the nice things about the T@B is its a LOT nicer in the rain than a tent.  But, we've had a lot of up hail storms lately, unusual for here (vs, say Denver)...messed up our early basil and tomatoes...and we didn't want to mess up the T@B roof.  

Has as anyone run into this issue, and if so, offer any suggestions to mitigate it?  I'm thinking we should carry a cheap blanket or quilt for summer monsoon camping, and throw it on the roof with a tarp if hail is likely.

Deductably yours...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

Comments

• Options
    twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    I was thinking about this, too, earlier this evening when a storm came through that threatened hail.  It didn't hail, but had the same idea of a blanket/quilt with a tarp to reduce damage.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I know a couple of folks have mentioned hail damage to their T@bs this year. Where you are would be a tough call, without getting into something expensive. I am afraid an aluminum roofed carport might collapse under the weight of snow. Perhaps a wooden pergola? It wouldn't be a solid roof, but could help.

PXLated had mentioned using an old manual self serv car wash as a shelter if you are on the road and I think that sounds fairly solid.

My T@b sits out and I think about this as well. We don't generally get the storms you all get in the west, but it only takes one to cause a lot of damage.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Being on the road, my only choice is to run and hide under an overpass, in a car wash or under trees. Not a whole lot of any of those where I am so I'm not sure what I'd do other than head in the opposite direction. I had to outrun one a couple weeks ago, found some trees in a Muni campground. Still got a little hail (pea sized) but no damage. The damaging hail was from where I'd been, golf ball +.
  • Options
    Yes, you need to get way off the highway and tucked tight or you're a danger.
    There are no overpasses out here in the boonies. Haven't seen one for two weeks - even on the freeway.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I put my outdoor patio rugs over my truck a couple weeks ago with a hail forecast. None, that time. I did use ratchet straps to secure the rugs so they wouldn't be blown away. . I put them on the chain link fence the next morning to dry. I figure they will have enough cushion to protect anything under them. These were the kind made from recycled plastic. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    When I was at the Durango KOA and left the T@B parked to go to Mesa Verde, it hailed enough in the campground to pile up and still be there when I returned.  Luckily, the T@B was parked under cedar trees, and although there many cedar needles on the T@B, I did not see any hail damage.  Whew!

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RZRBUG - That's what I had in the little muni camp - ground covered but trees protected the T@B and TV.
  • Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Most helpful comments...

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    OzT@bOzT@b Member Posts: 39
    Our T@B lives outside as it doesn't fit in the garage.  I had been thinking of getting some swimming pool covering that resembles bubblewrap to cover it for hail protection.  I think it would be too bulky to take with & store when camping, but it may work at home.
  • Options
    sgttikisgttiki Member Posts: 92

This will work. a good tarp + tennis balls (halved) + very fast reflexes!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    JustJohn said:
    Here on the coast hail is pretty common. I keep my SS stored out side under a Paha Que cover. I slide pool noodles under the cover on the roof, three on each side of my vent cover, and it creates a cushioning space between the cover and the top of the trailer. I plan to do the same with my T@B when I get it in September. So far it's worked great.
    I like that idea, John. I need to pick up some noodles. Thanks!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    With all this wicked weather, just thought I would share what we just did.  Our TaB is typically stored indoors, but it is now in our driveway in preparation for uCamp.  Wouldn’t you know that they are predicting possible severe thunderstorms and hail.  So, we placed 2 self inflating camp mattresses covered with multiple moving blankets on top of the TaB and down over the galley hatch.  Then we covered it with our Classic Accessories cover.  That should help fend off any hail.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @JustJohn The cover with pool noodles to increase gap sounds like a very light weight solution that could be carried along and deployed when needed... I like that idea a lot

It just occurred to me.. I assume one does NOT drive with the cover on though right?

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @JustJohn The cover with pool noodles to increase gap sounds like a very light weight solution that could be carried along and deployed when needed... I like that idea a lot

It just occurred to me.. I assume one does NOT drive with the cover on though right?

The turbulence would be havoc on your cover.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jpb0001jpb0001 Member Posts: 15
    anyone have experience with TAB 400 "stargazer" window surviving (or not) a hail storm? I ask because the positioning of the window would seem to make it particularly vulnerable to hail strikes.