Options

Considering adding the Outback Aluminum Platform

We've seen that the Outback Aluminum Platform is for sale at theTeardrop Shop.  While we love the look of it, we're curious to how functional it is.  We want to hear from Outback owners how they like it?  What do you store on it?  Anything you don't like about it?  Also have read discussions regarding issues with the plastic LP covers cracking so were already considering the Diamond Plate LP cover.  Want to know if we should also get the platform.  Feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    abenteurerabenteurer Member Posts: 72

We ordered our 2016 with the Outback platform.  We like the color of the LP cover but kinda wish we'd ordered the diamond plate cover for durability. 

2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

We ordered our 2016 with the Outback platform.  We like the color of the LP cover but kinda wish we'd ordered the diamond plate cover for durability. 

That looks really sharp! I hope my box lasts because I also love the accent colors on the propane boxes.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    R&DAndrewsR&DAndrews Member Posts: 116
    abenteurer:  Looks nice,  thanks for posting the pic.  What do you store on it?
  • Options
    I'm planning to use one side for a Honda 2000i generator and the other for an extended generator fuel tank after I figure out how to secure them and how to operate the generator in bad weather.  The generator and tank will be removable.  Right now, just having the platform with nothing mounted on it has been nice.  As you might imagine, it's convenient to sit things on it that would otherwise be temporarily balanced on the frame or plopped in the dirt.  It's sturdy enough to sit on also.
    2016 T@B M@x S | 2015 Grand Cherokee 5.7L HEMI (awesome) with factory tow pkg | 2017 Wrangler Sahara (awesome) 4-dr with factory max tow pkg
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Does it affect your turning tightness at all?
    I make quite a few really tight u-turns out in the boonies - looks like it might affect that.
  • Options
    I'm planning to use one side for a Honda 2000i generator and the other for an extended generator fuel tank after I figure out how to secure them and how to operate the generator in bad weather.  The generator and tank will be removable.  Right now, just having the platform with nothing mounted on it has been nice.  As you might imagine, it's convenient to sit things on it that would otherwise be temporarily balanced on the frame or plopped in the dirt.  It's sturdy enough to sit on also.

Good to know.  Never thought about using it for a table or to sit on.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    I make quite a few really tight u-turns out in the boonies - looks like it might affect that.

Never thought about this, also would be interested to know about the answer to your question.
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Have you considered tongue weight?  The generator is about 50lbs and gas is about 6 1/2lbs a gallon, not counting the container.  How much does the platform weigh?
  • Options
    PXLated said:

Yep, I'll bet you make a few quick U-turns too - no time for backing up with farmers in close pursuit...

I was concerned about the turning radius when I ordered the platform but it hasn't affected turning or backing at all with my Explorer which has a tight turning radius.  I haven't done any tight U-turns but I've backed into some bad angles while trying to regain my backing skills and those tight angles were still not close enough to touch the TV and platform.  With my 2012 4-door Wrangler, the turning radius isn't that great (41.2 ft.) (okay, I looked it up) so I doubt I could do anything in the forward direction to make contact with the platform.

• Options
    abenteurer - Pursuit - Never happens. In fact, a few days ago a farmer brought me cookies and a hand drawn map where all the old schools/churches were located and yesterday two farmers stopped (they'd heard about my shooting) and wanted to see my pics - Evidently people here are friendlier than in VA ;-)
  • Options
    RadRad Member Posts: 516
    Patti said:
    Are you talking about putting the generator and fuel there only when camping, or when towing, too?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use the generator without it sitting in the open? I always worry about somebody walking off with it, even though I know that's unlikely.
    I'm new to the separate generator scene.  On our last trip I used my new Honda one.  I have no reservations about it being out when running because we are around.  When it is not being used it lives in my TV.  

There are locking systems made for the generators.  
  • Options
    I bought a carbon fiber security cable (Walmart) and lock mine to one of the handholds on the back of the T@B when I'm away.
  • Options
    gilbutlergilbutler Member Posts: 169
    PX ( hope you don't mind the nickname), I share your concern about turning radius.  I've relied on a u-turn as tight as my Pilot can make to get out a park that surprised me with a road terminated with a gated ending and rocks lining both sides.  I can easily make a u-turn on a standard residential street.  The slope made a disconnect to turn around more than risky.  I wasn't sure I could make the u-turn, but was quite relieved when I finally did. I'm not concerned about quick get-aways (and don't think you are either), but don't want to give up that turning radius advantage.
    Gil Butler, Folsom, CA, 2015 T@B M@XX CS - White with Yellow tim
  • Options
    Patti said:
    Are you talking about putting the generator and fuel there only when camping, or when towing, too?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use the generator without it sitting in the open? I always worry about somebody walking off with it, even though I know that's unlikely.

When towing too.  Don't want the gas smell in the T@B or TV.  I'm thinking of mounting a box for the generator and fuel tank that will open in a way that will allow the generator to run in wet weather.  The generator would be secured so it wouldn't easily walk away.
  • Options
    The GPS took me up an incorrect road last year and it was too tight to turn around. I had to back down a road as few hundred feet. I was not that good at backing up yet, but that went a lot better than I expected.

I went to the wrong part of a campground earlier this year (very poorly marked) and there was very little room to turn around so it was a multi-stage K turn. It was ugly, but I didn't hit anything. I am always amazed at how far you can turn without jackknifing a T@b.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    abenteurer - The Honda generators as well as some gas cans seal up tight so there are no fumes. I haul mine in the back of the TV with no problem.
  • Options
    gilbutler - PX is fine - That campground didn't happen to be up the winding, curvy hill from Sadona, AZ did it? I hit one there that you couldn't see the locked gate until you got around a curve. Had to back out slightly uphill, around the curve and then jackknife into a small parking area without encroaching on the busy road skinny road from Flagstaff.

Jenn - Surprises me also. But thank goodness it can or I'd have to have had me, the TV, and the T@B airlifted out a couple times - would totally blow my budget and there's nothing in my AAA policy about helicopters.
  • Options

PXLated said:
    abenteurer - The Honda generators as well as some gas cans seal up tight so there are no fumes. I haul mine in the back of the TV with no problem.

I put the gassed up generator in the TV this weekend and was amazed that there was no hint of any smell.  Still going to mount it on the tongue but inside the TV is also an option now.
  • Options
    BWidgetBWidget Member Posts: 35
    I was thinking of either just strapping on or getting mounts for Jerry cans. Might also think about toting another LP tank.
    Bill from Los Angeles Arizona
    2015 T@B S Maxx Outback
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The only caveat that my sister says regarding the Outback platform is that it makes it a little more difficult to access the gray and black tank connections and the hand crank won't rotate fully (on the Outback) for the front stabilizers.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    The only caveat that my sister says regarding the Outback platform is that it makes it a little more difficult to access the gray and black tank connections and the hand crank won't rotate fully (on the Outback) for the front stabilizers.
    I wonder if it would be ok when using a drill or socket or is it the jack itself that gets in the way?

• Options
    BWidgetBWidget Member Posts: 35
    The platform itself gets in the way of being able to turn the crank. I put extensions on my crank to work around this problem, it's also nice that I don't have to get under as much for the rear stabilizers.
    Bill from Los Angeles Arizona
    2015 T@B S Maxx Outback
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for the input/picture, had not thought about this, but glad there is a solution.
  • Options
    As useful as the platform would be, I can see how things easily start to get crowded down there. Truthfully, it might be easier for me to pick up a couple of Action Packer containers and strap them to the roof rack of my Jeep before adding any additional obstacles to my tongue. I recently moved the spare to my tongue and will be adding the Jack-E-Up.

• Options
    RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    Any problems attaching your sewer hose?
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Ramrod said:
    Any problems attaching your sewer hose?
    Not really. But it's not nearly as convenient as without the platform blocking your view and access.  Also, the Zamp solar connector is hard to reach withe the platform.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    Dave28Dave28 Member Posts: 40
    Not sure I would recommend getting the platform. We got the Outback for its other features. We don't haul anything with the platform...concerned with something vibrating loose. Don't like adding tongue weight.  Also, access to the jacks and plumbing is more difficult.
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    We put one on ourselves on our 2016 Max S. Went pretty smoothly ...make sure you have lots of batteries for the drill or use an impact drill. We have no problems with the crank handle getting in our way. We use it to carry our Honda Gen,gas can and outdoor chairs. Love it. We did put extenders that you can change the angle on for the Black & Grey discharges.
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    John_and_KrisJohn_and_Kris Member Posts: 302
    Oh ya we ordered ours from Elsie and she was great
    John - Kris & our Golden "Blossom"
    South Carolina
    Live simply,Love generously,Care deeply,Speak Kindly,Leave the rest to God
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We put one on ourselves on our 2016 Max S. Went pretty smoothly ...make sure you have lots of batteries for the drill or use an impact drill. We have no problems with the crank handle getting in our way. We use it to carry our Honda Gen,gas can and outdoor chairs. Love it. We did put extenders that you can change the angle on for the Black & Grey discharges.
    Do those extenders for the black and gray tanks stay on all the time? Any need to take them off when you're traveling?
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York