changing a tire / flat?

catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
Now that we are home, been reading about moving the spare for lots of practical reasons...but HOW do you change a flat on the road? I'm leaving AAA out of the equation on purpose.

I read the owners manual and it says to lower the tongue all the way, remove spare, lower rear stabilizers to the max setting, then raise the tongue as high as possible to raise the wheels and remove the flat tire.  Reverse order to complete.  Does this sound right?

I'm confused because other recommendations say NOT to use the stabilizers to level the trailer.  Can the trailer and stabilizers hold the weight of the trailer while changing a tire?

Any first hand experience?
Nate & Cheryl
Seabrook, TX
2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    That won't work for the Outbacks.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    jk....how do you change the tire?
    if you use a jack, where does it go on the frame or axle?
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

This is how I would change a tire.  I have an 8 ton bottle jack from Harbor Freight.  I would place it just in front of the flat, under the frame.  NEVER raise the body of the T@B using the axle.  Don't let AAA do it either. 

Make sure the other tire is chocked, and have the T@B hooked up to the hitch on your tow vehicle.

Loosen your lug nuts, raise your jack, remove the lug nuts, remove the tire, put the spare on with the lug nuts loose, lower the bottle jack, tighten the lug nuts. 

Put the bottle jack and lug wrench away, put the flat away, remove the chocks from the other side, verify that everything has been put away.  Check your lights to make sure they're working.

Now, slowly pull away, making sure once again you have everything.

I had a blow-out on I-70 at 9 pm on a Saturday night last year, and thank goodness for AAA. The semi truck traffic was terrible with their wind draft blowing, and I sure would not have wanted to use the stabilizers to hold the Silver Shadow in place, and now certainly wouldn't want the same for the T@B.

This is my personal opinion, and yours may vary. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I have not had to change a tire, but would put it under the frame.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    While I agree with Verna and Jenn that I would prefer using a jack under the frame, I know from personal observation at the factory that the rear stabilizers will hold the weight of the T@b while BOTH wheels are off the trailer.
    gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

many thanks!  I think I would do the bottle jack route under the frame if the time arises....and it is cool USWildflowers that the stabilizers will hold the trailer.  We are very grateful for this forum as new owners, and hope to be able to contribute more as we gain experience.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2015
    Yes catnda, I've used the stabilizers as they describe in the manual. It worked ok.

What Verna mentioned, about semis hauling by, is a good caution, and I'd also avoid getting into the Tab while it's up. 

Others have stressed leaving the tab connected to the (braked) tow vehicle for safety, and that makes sense too.

Never jack under the axle. The axle is a hollow eccentric tube, and has the spring suspension inside it, which could be crushed by jacking under it.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:

Others have stressed leaving the tab connected to the (braked) tow vehicle for safety, and that makes sense too.

How would that work? Does that work with the tongue and stabilizers fully extended?

It will work with the stabilizers on one side extended far enough to slide the tire off.  It won't work with the tongue all of the way down.  I'm still thinking of a flat tire beside the Interstate and all of the wind from semi trucks. Although Little Guy has given the instructions to use all 4 stabilizers to take both tires off of the wheels, I sure would not be comfortable next to an interstate in this position.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    As with Verna and Jenn, I would prefer to use a jack.  But, if for some reason one is not available, in a pinch the stabilizers will hold the weight of the T@B.  You don't use them to level the unit because you are moving around in them and the weight shifting can damage them or cause them to fail with you in it, which would be very bad.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Anyone with an 07 or newer Jeep Wrangler can use your Jeep scissor jack for lifting the T@B to change the tire, also if you have the spare still mounted in the rear of the trailer, you can use the jack to raise or lower the tire.  I just replaced all my tires with radial tires and took them off myself and took them to the tire dealer.  Also, serviced the wheel bearings in the process.  A hint, buy a cheap floating air mattress and leave it on the package, open it up when your interrupted on your trip to use as a thick ground cloth to lay on, or knell on when working on your car or trailer.

I am also curious how many owners retorque their trailer wheels 50 to 100 miles down the road, after taking delivery of their trailer, or after removing the wheels and reinstalling them?  Then again, how many owners own a torque wrench?  
    I have stopped at service stations and they have torqued for free. Most are fascinated enough by the T@b not to mind. :)

• RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

I carry a bottle jack and jack stand in case I need to change a tire.  The jack stand is for just in case the jack fails (better safe than sorry).  If I'm not on a hard surface, I place some kind of platform under the jack and stand to eliminate sinking or shifting.

I make sure the tires are chocked because it is difficult to find a really flat surface on the frame large enough to put the jack on, so there is the possibility of rolling or slipping.  And, try to keep any part of your body out from under the trailer at all times.

Don't have a torque wrench, so just tighten hard as I can, alternating from side to side.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

I bought a Harbor Freight torque wrench, but I have to admit that I haven't taken it out of the package.  I want to read the instructions because my former neighbor told me I should retorque it, but he always did it for me.  By the way, what is the amount I should torque my wheels?

How many got their T@B tires balanced when they got their T@B or new tires?  I'll raise my hands.  My neighbor's auto repair place did it for me. All 3 of the tires.

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    I believe the torque setting is 85-90 ft lbs.
    Thank you.  90 lbs is what I remember for my Silver Shadow.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    We have an Outback and the side frames are slightly tapered so I don't think a bottle jack would work. Risk of jack sliding off of frame. The rear frame is the only one thats flat.
    Guess we'll cross that bridge when we're forced too.
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Just for reference - When I had the bearings greased, they put jacks under the frame in back where the spare is (mine isn't but you know where I'm talking), jacked it up, took the tires off and did their thing. They left it attached to my TV.
  • RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Verna said:

How many got their T@B tires balanced when they got their T@B or new tires?  I'll raise my hands.  My neighbor's auto repair place did it for me. All 3 of the tires.

Put on new radials this Spring.  Tire place wasn't going to balance (trailer tires?), but I insisted.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• twocutestwocutes Member Posts: 198
    jdargis - Thanks for the note about the Jeep Wrangler jack.  I was wondering if it could serve dual duty.
    Beth
    Minnesota
    Practicing to be a wanderer
    2020 T@B 320 CSS Boondock Lite
    2014 T@B 320 CSS M@xx
    2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 8 speed automatic
    2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8
    2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed manual
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Verna said:

I bought a Harbor Freight torque wrench, but I have to admit that I haven't taken it out of the package.  I want to read the instructions because my former neighbor told me I should retorque it, but he always did it for me.  By the way, what is the amount I should torque my wheels?

I didn't have them balanced originally, but have had new tires put on twice now and the shop balanced them each time.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    We have jacked up the T@B to replace the stabilizers, and I understand the concepts, but honestly, I'm gonna call Good Sam (I know you said to not put that in the mix)
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    just a follow-up to my original question:  Spent yesterday going through systems on our T@B, removed the spare from the rear and decided to store it under the rear sofa for the time being. We will never use that storage space.  It was easy to remove, but I shiver to think about doing this while laying on the side of a highway.  Crawled around under the camper looking for where I would place my jack in the event of a flat on the road, and realized there is not a good (ie: flat or wide) support position to use my bottle jack on the frame.  However, there is a silver/aluminum? looking strip of "L" shaped iron about 6" long above the axle attached to the frame, but not sure if that would support the trailer while changing a wheel. I have a scissor jack with a larger flat surface that may get stored inside with the spare just in case.

A nice factory modification would be a dedicated metal tab welded to the frame on each side of the frame to support a jack.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    edited July 2015
    Here's where they jacked when I got my bearings packed...They left it attached to my TV...

thanks PX ... a picture speaks 1000 words.
    love this forum!
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
  • wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    For those who recommend placing the jack just in front of the tire under the frame...is there no concern of damage from the weight to the frame?

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn