Options

Houston Austin T@B group?

PlaycPlayc Member Posts: 234
Is there one?
2015 S Sofitel, Austin/Houston

Comments

• Options
    Cat_913Cat_913 Member Posts: 56
    I'm not sure but we may be the only two people in all of Texas who have T@Bs. Either that or we are the only ones brave enough to get out in this heat and do anything. Haha...What do you think?
  • Options
    Hi Cat - seems to be that way.  everything in TX is supposed to be big.
    We plan to camp at Inks Lake State Park 9/22-25.  Hope that you and all LGers can be there also.
  • Options
    Sounds fun but I don't pick up my T@B until the 22nd in Round Rock. I'v got a lot to learn about it since I have never owned an RV before. 
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    Playc and Cat913, you can add one more T@B to the TX list....us!  I posted earlier about Inks Lake.  Did you see the post and pics?  We've been all over Texas this summer and have not met one other T@B yet.

We are also rookie T@B owners with no RV experience either. Our motto has been "Go small, Go light, and Go NOW!"  and have been braving the Texas heat all Summer....Inks Lake was 105 degrees in July--ouch!  

We also just returned from another awesome, highly recommended campground on Lake Livingston called Wolf Creek Park. This quiet and friendly park is beautiful with waterfront sites, lots of big pine trees, easy access, clean and well maintained. Highly recommended.

Again, most everywhere we have been this summer was over 100 degrees, but one good idea is to request a site with shade as the #1 priority.  The temperatures are bearable (and easier on the T@B for a/c use) if you can find a shady spot with a breeze.

Cat, don't be shy.  Round Rock is about 30 minutes from Inks Lake.  By late Sept, the park will most likely have cleared out a bit from the Summer crowds.  We found the park to be very nice with good level sites and hookups.  It would be a great place for a first overnighter before heading back home. Your new T@B is very easy to set up, and while you are up in the Inks Lake area anyway...why not? I can post more pictures if you have any interest.

Hope to meet up with you guys at some point.
    Nate & Cheryl
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    Hi catdahats - Yes and thank you.  It was your recommendation that we are planning Inks Lake camping in late Sep.  We are recently retirees and first time camper, and plan to camp to see the beautiful country in the years to come.

It will be fun to organize and plan a LG event at state or fed campgrounds in TX.  Yes?
  • Options
    Hi Cat_913 - I bought mine from Princess Craft this July.  Is it where you getting yours?
  • Options
    Yes Playc, Princess Craft and I was wrong when I said I would be picking it up on the 22nd of Sept it's the 22nd of Aug, That's next weekend. I wish I had time to take it out for a couple of days. Maybe after Labor day, I don't think I want to start off in all that Labor day traffic to start learning about my T@B.
  • Options
    Playc, Let me know where you will be camping at Ink Lake and maybe I can make up there. It's a month away and will give me something to look forward too.
  • Options
    Hi Cat_913 - sure.  we are planning 9/22 but flexible on dates and will make reservation a few days earlier.  Want to go weekdays to avoid crowds.
    Best luck on your new LG.
  • Options
    JiroTXJiroTX Member Posts: 124
    There are several others in Texas including me but not from Austin/Houston area. I'm in East Texas (Longview area-about 4.5 hrs from Austin), but I drove all the way to Princess Craft to get my Outback! I don't think I can go camping in Austin area on weekdays, but I would love to meet other T@B owners in TX if there are any gatherings on weekend. I would like to visit Garner SP and McKinney SP sometime. I am already planning another Big Bend trip next March. :)
  • Options
    I'm not from Austin I'm from Beaumont and I understand the weekend thing as I work for a living too.
  • Options
    JiroTX - Big Bend is on our plan.  We are flexible on dates.  It will be fun if the Texas LGers can have a camping event, and hope people from all over can join also.  Maybe we should decide a site, dates, and some activities ...
  • Options
    We also plan to buy a TX State Park Pass 1year for $70
  • Options
    Playc,

I got the SP pass. You can get second day half price off on campsites with the pass!

The last time (first time) I went to Big Bend, I rented a T@G. I was trying to decide weather I should get a T@B or a T@G. I am so glad I rented it! I stayed at Chisos Basin Campground, and it was just beautiful over there. There's no hookups at Chisos, but they do have a dump station. I am thinking about staying there for 4-5 days from 3/19/16.

Jiro

• Options
    JiroTX - We were originally considering early March.  Is 3/19/16 fixed for you?  A week or 2 earlier and high probability that we will be there also.  Maybe some other Texans like to go there too.  If we have a dozen LGers then maybe folks from Pleasantvalley can come down to have some tech sessions.

Definitely sounds fun to have a gathering at Big Bend.  Let's get the ball rolling ...
  • Options
    AllisonAllison Member Posts: 8
    I've been lurking for sometime now, you guy are dragging me in. I too am in South East Texas and am a new T@b owner. My first trip was a big one to Tearstock; which was great! I'd love to meet some Texas tear drop owners/lovers. There is a lot to be learned from each other. I'm very interested in a September trip.
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I'm glad all you people's are identifying yourselves as those who go camping in the extreme heat - now we know who the crazy ones are and can be on the lookout ;-)
  • Options
    Playc,

My friend is visiting from Japan for about 2 weeks from 3/18/16, so yes, it is pretty fixed for now. I went to Big Bend end of March this year, and it was pretty hot during the day time. Beginning of March would be nice for hiking, but my friend's son won't be out of school until 3/18/16...

Jiro
  • Options

I'm glad all you people's are identifying yourselves as those who go camping in the extreme heat - now we know who the crazy ones are and can be on the lookout ;-)
    I live in Southeast Texas, if you don't do things in the heat you don't do anything at all.  We have cold snaps but our winter is what people up north call fall. 
  • Options
    I was going to post some Big Bend pics, but it looks like I can't post pics to this thread or any other threads in this category (Teardrop Groups & Links)...
  • Options
    Cat_913 - I'd be a recluse, you'd never see me ;-)
  • Options
    Allison said:
    I've been lurking for sometime now, you guy are dragging me in. I too am in South East Texas and am a new T@b owner. My first trip was a big one to Tearstock; which was great! I'd love to meet some Texas tear drop owners/lovers. There is a lot to be learned from each other. I'm very interested in a September trip.
    Hi Allison - late September at inks lake state park will be beautiful.   We are flexible on dates and if you're interested we can start a new thread for the gathering 
  • Options
    propuspropus Member Posts: 54
    I just took my first trip in the new S Maxx to Tyler State Park. Based in the DFW area. I plan on exploring the hill country after a few more short trips. Hope to see some T@bs out there.
  • Options
    Hi propus - Glad to know you are in TX.  We are planning last week September to camp at Inks Lake State Park.  Hope to see you there.
  • Options
    JiroTX said:
    I was going to post some Big Bend pics, but it looks like I can't post pics to this thread or any other threads in this category (Teardrop Groups & Links)...
    Hi JiroTX - would be great to see the pics.  try click the icon (second to the right of the smiley ...
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Playc said:
    JiroTX said:
    Hi JiroTX - would be great to see the pics.  try click the icon (second to the right of the smiley ...
    The icon looks like a black page with a folded corner. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    It usually let you upload pics using the icon, but that doesn't work in any of the threads in this category. It only let you type in the image URL...
  • Options
    You're right - no way to choose an image - that's strange.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It's on my list of things to take care of. I've found one other category that is the same way. Be patient and I'll send a note to Vanilla for them to fix it. I've got some family functions to attend to. These birthday celebrations come along on a regular basis ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks Verna!

I have a web album for the trip:
    https://goo.gl/photos/QXkVEUBiCdQ8nPrP8

Playc, I might be able to go to Big Bend earlier in March, but I haven't decided yet. I will ask my friend and her son again. I am also thinking about the weekend before Thanksgiving so I don't have to use up all my vacation time. I am not sure how hard it is to get those "walk-up" camp sites at Chisos Basin right before Thanksgiving. All reservable sites are already taken. There are a bunch of sites available the week after Thanksgiving...

Jiro