Cold air from around the AC?

RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
edited April 2016 in Modifications & Upgrades
We have a new Outback S 2016.  Last night, temps outside got into twenties with high winds.  Happy to say the everything worked out except the temp nside.  No matter how much heat came pouring from Alde, it stayed cold.  Temp on Alde info pad read max 44 degrees even though I set it for 70 (in frustration).  This morning, I realized in the light of this cold morning, that I can see daylight all around the AC and cold air is coming in with every gust.  The Alde controls sit right next to the AC, so its no wonder it reads that temp!  This cant be normal, right?  We should take it back to Beckleys and have them do something about the wind whisteling in around the AC, right?  Thoughts?
B@t T@b, the 2016 Max S Outback, pulled by Bane, the 2014 Honda Ridgeline.

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    Please see the "how to remove the air conditioner" thread for some photos of the A/C cabinet. The interior of the cabinet needs to be open to the outside air for exhaust of the a/c hot air. Bad news on cold nights. However, sealing any gaps between the a/c and wood trim (the one with two screws) should eliminate any cold air getting into the cabin.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • RedufresneRedufresne Member Posts: 100
    Thank you OutbackAZ.  I knew the AC had to vent to open air, but I'm surprised at how much cold air comes all the way inside.  I'll come up with something to seal it where the interior wood trim is, as you suggest.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Somewhere here there has been at least one discussion of using an outside cover for the A/C when not in use. I recall both DIY and purchased covers. And a sheet of plastic cling wrap to cover the outside for emergencies. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

During a cold and very windy campout, I actually duct-taped newspapers over the outside vent to keep the wind from entering the a/c cabinet.  It worked, so ANY covering over the outside vent will greatly help in keeping the cabin warm.  Other solutions on this forum include purchasing the factory vinyl cover, using Glad "Press'n Seal" food wrap and making your own cover out of some rigid material.  Here's what I'll be doing this fall - remove all four screws from the vent cover, gently break the caulking bead on the left and right of the vent (leave the top caulk alone), put a piece of dense foam on the inside of the cabinet in front of the a/c grill to cover the vent opening, put the screws back in and re-caulk the left and right sides.  This way you don't have any screws or Velcro exposed on the outside of the vent cover.  There's a solution to this easy problem, and you'll find the one that works for you!

Thank you, Photomom.  I should have thought of Press n Seal, as I use that amazing stuff for everything!  We just decided I will make an interior cover for AC that goes on and off with velcro all around the interior wood trim.  I shall never be as cold as I was last night ever again!  Alde is workng fine, but cant keep up with the wind coming n by the AC at night.  Also, may do vents on top of back shelf, as others have done, as our pillows block some of the heat.  It has been a perfect trip to shake out all the sdues!

A big YES to any additional vent openings on the rear shelf - they'll make a HUGE difference in letting heat into the cabin.  Chris K from this forum made the above vents for me using one of his 3-D printers (he's also made some for others on the forum).  Verna on our forum did some way cool wood scrolling on the shelf.  In the meantime, just remove the single screw and prop up the shelf slightly to let the heat out (being careful not to let any bedding fall on top of the hot radiator below).  Search using "heat vents" and "scrolling" for more threads on this topic.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The factory does sell a cover that snaps on around the outside of the A/C unit and can be purchased by contacting Elsie Miller via our contact information listed in the forum discussion areas.

This topic was discussed earlier in this thread.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2016

Simple solution many have done similar things. Cover held on with dual lock.I keep it on during storage also.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    OutbackAZ said:

A big YES to any additional vent openings on the rear shelf - they'll make a HUGE difference in letting heat into the cabin.  Chris K from this forum made the above vents for me using one of his 3-D printers (he's also made some for others on the forum).  Verna on our forum did some way cool wood scrolling on the shelf.  In the meantime, just remove the single screw and prop up the shelf slightly to let the heat out (being careful not to let any bedding fall on top of the hot radiator below).  Search using "heat vents" and "scrolling" for more threads on this topic.

Spotted this on Amazon, for those who lack a 3D printer: http://www.amazon.com/Maurice-Franklin-Round-Plastic-Vent/dp/B01DH5BW7O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1459706906&sr=8-6&keywords=Round+plastic+vent
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Tonydjd said:

Simple solution many have done similar things. Cover held on with duo lock.I keep it on during storage also.

Tony - can you post a photo with the cover removed?  Can you leave it on during transit?
  • RamrodRamrod Member Posts: 164
    What is best product to seal the gap around the A/C. I used foam tape and it is not very "elegant" nor durable
  • TonydjdTonydjd Member Posts: 111
    edited April 2016
    Yes I leave it on during transport. Trust me it's not going anywhere it's held on with this product that attached to the entire outside permiter of both pieces. It is pretty sturdy stuff used in mfg of screw less aluminum trailer sides. Will post pic tommorow evening.
    Tony D
    Central,Fl
    2015 T@B Max-S

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I installed the outside A/C cover from Elsie in January. It lasted until this week. It was no match for driving in 30 to 40 mph winds. I'll order another one from her tomorrow.

The press 'n seal worked wonderfully on the outside for one night. Don't bother putting it on the inside because it does not stop the cold air from coming in. Oh, and the press n' seal dorsn't stay on during driving....inside or outside ;)

With the cool air coming in last night, Sunny Day and I woke up to 74* at midnight. Rather than put the press 'n seal on the outside, I just turned the heat down to 60* and it kept the inside temps about 66*, which is close to what I like for sleeping.  

As I looked around the inside of the T@B, there is no other logical place for the Thermostat. It has to be on an inside wall, and it's on the only inside wall. I might have to come up with a removable baffle for the thermostat for my snow birding trip to warmer weather next year. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Tonydjd said:
    Yes I leave it on during transport. Trust me it's not going anywhere it's held on with this product that attached to the entire outside permiter of both pieces. It is pretty sturdy stuff used in mfg of screw less aluminum trailer sides. Will post pic tommorow evening.
    Duralock is pretty amazing stuff. I have some on my tongue to hold the small lightweight GZ Guardian controller I have. I have a gear tie wrapped around it, but I don't think that actually does anything. It is more of a psychological thing for me, but the Duralock is solid stuff.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I did exactly what Tony did and used the Duralock 3M tape and corrugated vinyl. It's survived wind, snow and bad weather while sitting next to the house. I did caulk around the edges of the vinyl with clear silicone to seal the honeycomb holes. I also glued automotive trim around the edges (there's a pict on the forum someplace of the mod with the automotive trim). I know the panel will stay while driving, but not sure if the automotive trim will. lol. That's why I siliconed the edges first.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)

Here is the link with the vent cover options.  Looks like Sabel was the one who used the automotive trim:

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2154/how-cold-can-i-go-headed-to-oregon-for-thanksgiving

While putting the AC unit back in the cabinet, I ran some double-sided 3/4" foam weather-stripping around the AC unit once in place.  It created a firm seal around the unit and fits nicely behind the wood frame trim piece.  This may work at keeping the wind out of the cabin instead of the exterior vent cover.
    We ordered the outside AC cover and will apply some kind of seal around the inside.  Thanks for all the advice!  Everyone else might want to check that area for heat/cold leakage.
  • grassgdgrassgd Member Posts: 115
    I had some 1" x .25" felt weather strip that I used to insert between the front plastic frame of the AC and the wood cabinet.  Seemed to fit very snug and closed all the gaps where I could see daylight before.   Haven't traveled since making the mod yet but if it stays in place, it will stop entry of cold air from outside.
    2019 T@B 320S