Plastic Trim Cracking

sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
Has anyone else experienced this issue? See atached photo.
Have a 2015 T@B and noticed a developing stress crack in the roof/wall corner trim. At the rear of the trim between last two screws. Not sure how to repair. Considering drilling a hole just above the crack to stop it and filling with JB Weld. 

Comments

• mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Is that separation at the end of the long piece that meets the piece by the handle? If so, mine has an issue too, although not quite that large of a gap. I think it's because the long piece that comes down wasn't cut correctly and just too short to make a tight fit. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I would definitely drill a small hole to hopefully stop the crack.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    Oh I see. Didn't see the crack before. I was talking about the space between the long trim where it meets in the back. The right side of mine meets and is snug enough. But the left isn't as long so it's loose. 
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• sabelsabel Member Posts: 283
    One thing I've noticed about the plastic wall/roof trim ( especially the color black ) is the amazing amout of expansion / contraction movement it goes through. While putting the cover on today, also noticed cracks in the plastic and silicon caulk at the top expansion joint on both sides. Bet the total movement is about 1/2" +.
  • XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    I noticed a crack in mine when I took off the cover recently to get it ready for camping/sale. Right near the seam on the door side. :(
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
    XPPADREX
    What color is you T@B?
    Gray, and the trim is black.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
    Same as ours. Think this is going to be a constant maintenance issue.
    Also check the expansion joint at the top where the two pieces of trim come together. Joint is cracked on both sides on mine.
  • Tabby_McTabfaceTabby_McTabface Member Posts: 3
    We also have developed recent cracks on the trim on both sides. We have covered them with black duct tape. Very disappointed  :|
    Tim & Cathy from Port Perry, Ontario
    Yukon bound, summer 2016
    2015 T@B S TV 2016 Colorado 4x4
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Warranty items should be discussed with your dealer for them to see what your options are. The warranty lasts for one year from the date of purchase for the original owner. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna,
    In my case the warranty expired April 10th and our dealer is 150 mile away. Also, my experience with the dealer has been such that I wouldn't trust them to do anything  correctly on a T@B, but that's another story.
    I have contacted the factory but no word from them yet. Just seeking advice.
    Heres a photo of the other end of the trim.
    Talk to the factory. Somerimes it takes a few days. I normally send an email, too. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Looks like enough have had it happen for it to be an issue I wonder if it is the nature of the trim material? I filled my trim crack with shoe goo. 
    XPADREX said:
    Looks like enough have had it happen for it to be an issue I wonder if it is the nature of the trim material? I filled my trim crack with shoe goo. 
    I would like to second the use of goop products. If you don't want to use shoe goop  I found this at Walmart.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    xpadrex - Appears to be affecting black trim - Doesn't seem to be too widespread - At least based on this thread. - Bad news for those with the problem though.
  • mash2mash2 Member Posts: 581
    I would second shoe goo.  I've been using for 4-5 years with no issues.
  • source3source3 Member Posts: 142
    It is a black trim issue.  Had separation at the top where the two trim pieces together.  Ed at Pleasant Valley sent me new trim pieces.  Local "former" T@b dealer replaced.  The joint was good but now separated again.  I just added more silicon and called it good.  The trim is cosmetic only. 
    Andrew P. 
    Durango, CO

• RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Maybe there is more problem with the black because black tends to get hotter in the sun.  Since it is some type of plastic, the expansion/contraction could be more of a problem.  Mine is red and so far I've seen no problem with cracking/splitting.  Both seams up top were separated a little, so I just put a little caulk in them and called it good.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Mine's silver and no problem so far.
  • DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    Ours is blue and we are heading to Sugar Creek to get a new trim piece before Tearstock. The door side rear trim has cracked near the join at the top. Both sides separated in the winter, but that seemed to be an expansion/ contraction issue. As the weather has warmed, it looks back to normal.
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
    Update.
    I've been in touch with the Factory and their recommend is to replace the trim. Our plan is to take a long trip to Sugarcreek, some time  next spring and replace the trim with a lighter color ( PXLATED's color ). 2000 mile trip one way for us.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    FYI, I recently discovered a crack similar to the one sabel had near the top of the trim. Black trim, same crack on both sides--it seems related to the exposed screw (buried under caulking) that holds the trim on. No cracks on the handle end, though...yet.

At the moment I'm just going to caulk it up well and keep an eye on it. As long as the trim stays in place, I probably won't get too bent out of shape about it since it's only visible from a ladder.

2015 T@B S
  • OutbackerOutbacker Member Posts: 1
    I pulled my 2015 T@B Q Max out of storage today and found 7 cracks in the RED plastic trim in four different sections on both sides, top on bottom. Most are completely through.  It was a cold winter in Alberta, but it was outside last winter as well with no issues.  I will call Nu Camp tomorrow.
  • RockhoundRockhound Member Posts: 2
    I have a silver/gray 2015 T@B S Max and have noticed three cracks along the rear section of roof trim on the passenger’s side, and two cracks on the rear section of the roof trim of the driver’s side. All the cracks are completely thru exposing the aluminum rails underneath. Will these cracks in the roof trim lead to water intrusion to the roof and walls? Or, are the plastic trim pieces only cosmetic? I see some T@B owners have applied caulk to address the problem. Any problems with leakage?

The plastic trim is cosmetic, and it does tend to happen over time.

Caulk if that is your preference, or you can pay for replacement pieces through Elsie in Parts at the nüCamp factory. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • RockhoundRockhound Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the quick response Verna! I’ll try the caulk and see how it holds up.
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Our 2015 320S has developed several trim cracks as well.   Until I choose to replace the cracked trim, clear Gorilla Tape seems to work well.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Maryperry1Maryperry1 Member Posts: 4
    Our 2017 has two pieces, both on the lower sides, that are cracked. We bought the extended warranty-not covered. Nucamp was kind enough to work with and sent the pieces and said we could call our dealer for installation. Shout out to our dealer, Century RV in Longmont, Colorado who quoted us “$750-$1,000” to install-most unhelpful and so much for loyalty #donotrecommend. I looked at the pieces and it looks like the most complicated part would be finding the right bit to remove the screws. Has anyone done this themselves and if so, is there a trick I’m not seeing? THANKS!