Options

State Inspection

TexT@bersTexT@bers Member Posts: 17
Well it seems we've had our T@b for a year now. Got the state registration form and behold it states we need to have it inspected. Didn't think of that. I looked up our Texas DMV and it states that trailers and rv's with gross weight of 4000 lbs need to be inspected but the T@b is 2800 lbs. So i guess my question is, does T@b need to be state inspected every year? Where do you go to get it inspected? We live in Houston so I'm sure there is choices.

Ron and Karen England
2015 T@b Sofitel 

Comments

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Actually, the T@B is 1600-1700 lbs empty. It didn't require inspection in my state where (if I recall correctly) the went by weight and/or size.
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited September 2016
    Every state has different regulations on trailer inspections and if they are needed.  In Virginia it is based on a minimum weight, but all trailers with brakes must be inspected regardless of weight.

You should be able to get it inspected where you get your car inspected.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited September 2016
    Every state has its own rules. I have to get my 150 pound kayak trailer inspected every year.

I take it to a trailer repair place. That's where I'll take the T@B next year too.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, NY state requires inspection, for all trailers, I think.

Here, it can be inspected at any NYS Vehicle Inspection Station. 

They only seem to check the lights and side reflectors, the hitch, chains, and brake-away cable.

Maybe they're supposed to check the brakes too, don't know.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    I haven't had the T@B inspected there but when I've called to schedule an inspection they always ask if it has brakes, so I assume it's more involved. Interestingly NYS charges $6 for a trailer inspection irregardless of whether it has brakes, ONE WHOLE DOLLAR of which they share with the inspection station.
  • Options
    bgualtieribgualtieri Member Posts: 272
    When we moved from AZ to TX this year, we registered our T@b in Tarrant county and were not required to have it inspected.
    2015 T@b S Max | 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited | was PHX East Valley, now Dallas!
  • Options
    The answer is "it depends." If you buy from an in state dealer they will know, otherwise your DMV will know.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    No inspection required in Indiana, except for a VIN verification if you buy from out of state. Normally a police officer would fill out a form, but last year the manager of the local BMV did it so she could see the inside of the T@B ;)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    TexT@bersTexT@bers Member Posts: 17
    Found someone close to home to inspect it. He said it only cost $7. Also said it really doesn't need to be inspected because its under 4000lb. but he could if I want. Think its probably a good $7 spent than arguing with someone about it at the court house. So that's what Texas needs I guess. 
    2015 T@b Sofitel 
  • Options
    JoeJoe Member Posts: 72
    TexT@bers - I live in Austin and we have a 2015 T@B.  No inspection required.  I suggest you contact your county tax assessor collector office and ask.
    ~ Joe
    2015 Max U Outback; 2011 Chevy Silverado 4X4; Austin, Tx
  • Options
    catndahatscatndahats Member Posts: 50
    We purchased our T@B in Florida, but are Texas residents.  When we registered it the first time in Texas, we did have to have it inspected (the courthouse said since it was from out of state). This year at renewal time, there was no inspection required---just ordered the license tag.  The inspection station, and courthouse said it did not have to be inspected since T@B's are under the 4,000lb. limit.

FYI: trailer inspection rules in Texas are clear as mud. (just my $.02) :o
    Nate & Cheryl
    Seabrook, TX
    2014 T@B Q Max, 2012 Toyota Tundra 4.6
  • Options
    T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    Hi @ChanW and @Photomom, what part of NY are you guys in and where do you get your Tabs inspected? I will be picking up a new 2019 320S BDE in a few days. I have made some phone calls to local auto repair shops and gas stations where they do regular auto inspections, they have told me that I will have to go to truck and trailer repair shops to get the Tab inspected. Is that true? I am in NYC metro area and it will be a drag to tow the Tab around tide places plus it will be my first time towing.
    Thank you both in advance or any New Yorkers can provide some info will be greatly appreciated.
    Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @T_BDancing, Any inspection station can do it, I think. It's very basic, lights and brakes, mostly, so I can't see anyone balking. (Heh, that being said, I have to get ours inspected, and haven't gotten an appointment yet! We'll see!)
    I recommend practicing towing the Tab anywhere but NYC metro area.... What a pain that would be!
    Also, if your Tab dealer is inside NY State, I'd think they'd be responsible for its initial inspection. Provided they have an inspection certificate, I suppose.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Thanks @ChanW. I bought the trailer from out of state. I wish there was a Tab dealer here in NYC area! First I was hoping no state inspection would be needed in NY state. The DMV that I visited to get the Tab registered did not even know if inspection is needed or not, they told me to call DOT! At least they gave me a temporary sticker. But thank this great forum for people to be able to dig out just about any info regarding the Tabs.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Ho boy! Amazing the quality of labor that the state hires...
    Maybe someone from the NYC area can pipe in.
    Definitely get out of NYC, for sanity... I love New York (City) but only for short visits!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Yes! @ChanW, that's when the Tab comes in! But at the mean time, excited(never had a camper), freaking out(never towed a thing in my life), confused(where to go for inspection)...
  • Options
    Look for a place that sells and services horse trailers and utility trailers that landscapers use. They should be able to do your inspection and also do maintenance like greasing your wheel bearings if needed. 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The NY State DMV has a page.  And it says this: A DMV-licensed inspection station that inspects passenger vehicles and other light-duty vehicles can inspect a trailer.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Another Texan...   DMV / DPS / Tax collection office told me no inspection. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Thanks @Photomom, I will have start checking out those neighborhood landscapers and ask them...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    @T_BDancing, no need to freak out, rearrange that emotional tension to 'additional excitement'...
    Get some good extended side-view mirrors so you can see what the Tab is doing while taking some of those city tight corners.
    And go camping!
    Good mirrors:
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BTW, all trailers need to be inspected here. We have a Rack and Roll trailer that weighs 150 pounds and is basically a Thule roof rack on wheels. We take it in, they say yep, lights are on, and we get our sticker. 

I’ve heard of police lurking near boat ramps in the springtime, handing out tickets to people who haven’t gotten around to getting their inspection sticker. 

Some places may may just not want to do the inspection if they can avoid it. If a trailer has brakes they have to remove the wheels and check the brakes in addition to checking the lights. The inspection costs $7, and they get to keep ONE DOLLAR.
  • Options
    Jackie_DaveJackie_Dave Member Posts: 73
    We moved a small utility trailer (no brakes) from NY to WV. NY did require a yearly inspection, but strangely enough, no title. So it took about 3 months of my life to get a title issued to a trailer 500 miles away, move it to WV and register it there. However, because of no brakes, WV doesn't require an inspection. We purchased our 320s this year, we need to get an annual inspection, because of the brakes. Go figure  :o
    2018 T@B 320-S / 2007 Toyota Tundra
    Harpers Ferry, WV
  • Options
    'Some places may just not want to do the inspection if they can avoid it. If a trailer has brakes they have to remove the wheels and check the brakes in addition to checking the lights. The inspection costs $7, and they get to keep ONE DOLLAR.' - @Photomom
    That's what it is! I used to have a hard time looking for shops to do the regular auto inspection alone. These days I get the oil change and inspection done together. Even with that they will always try to hassle by telling me there are other things to fix, like air filter needs to be replaced or some sort. 
    I may have to try to call shops somewhere upstate...
  • Options
    'Some places may just not want to do the inspection if they can avoid it. If a trailer has brakes they have to remove the wheels and check the brakes in addition to checking the lights. The inspection costs $7, and they get to keep ONE DOLLAR.' - @Photomom
    That's what it is! I used to have a hard time looking for shops to do the regular auto inspection alone. These days I get the oil change and inspection done together. Even with that they will always try to hassle by telling me there are other things to fix, like air filter needs to be replaced or some sort. 
    I may have to try to call shops somewhere upstate...
    I always try to give them some additional business. The trailer shop we use installed our hitch and brake controller and we have them service our wheel bearings when they do the inspection. We’ve also bought a couple sets of Weathertech mats from them for our cars as well as assorted small items. If you can find a full service trailer shop and establish a relationship with them I’m sure they will do inspections. 

The place we go is in Victor NY and you’d have to drive almost the whole darn Thruway to get here!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Thank you @ChanW, definitely excited just by looking at those locks, chocks and accessories for the TAB laying all over the floor! (If not for this forum I would not know what I have known now and all the staffs I need. Still learning!)
    @Photomom, I definitely have to pay far upstate a few visits someday with my future TAB! I called Transatlantic Auto & RV Center in Peekskill and they told me they would gladly give my future TAB a NY inspection but call ahead to make an appointment. The place has pretty good ratings on Google. Like you said about 'relationship', from there on I may just go there for the wheel bearings and get inspection done at the same time. Then find a place to camp for a couple days around that area, since I'm about 2 hrs from Transatlantic with the crazy NY traffic!
  • Options
    That sounds like a perfect plan!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Finally got my new Tab and state inspection. We spent a night at Clarence Fahnestock State Park in Putnam Valley after picking it up.
    A bunch of great people at Transatlantic Auto & RV Center I must say...

• Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    @T_BDancing glad you got your inspection worked out. I am also NYC metro area (Queens) and picked up my 320 BDL in May. I asked my local mechanic who usually does my inspections, oil changes, etc. about inspecting it and he was fine with it. He actually has a home-built camper of his own and could see mine was a brand new trailer so all he really tested was the lights.

If I had seen your post sooner, I could have referred you and saved you a trip upstate but a shakedown trip fairly close to home is a good idea, too.
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    You probably shouldn't mention that he only checked your lights, on a public forum! :o
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya