Possible leak in toilet black tank

TardismanTardisman Member Posts: 54
After our last road trip with our TAB Max-S I have noticed a smell under the lower sink cabinet next to the toilet. I am concerned this might be a small leak or seal problem in the black tank. I could not find any moisture so it might be coming from an area I can't access. Has anyone had any leaking issues with the black tank? My concern is if it is a leak it could be a big job to try to find it given the tank is not accessable. 

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has had similar issues.
John D. 
2014 TAB M@X S series

Comments

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2016
    There is the small access point between the black tank and sink, have you tried sticking some paper beneath the tank area to see if there is moisture further in?  You can also approach the area from the Alde bench area (along the driver's side wall) and via the small raised portion inside the shower area....  Is there any possibility a mouse could have entered into the area and died as they put off a very rancid smell too?

If you could find someone with a small LED scope you might be able to insert one beneath the tank area and look around.  I would even attempt to use an iPhone camera with the flash on and see if you can see anything that way too.  I've done that in the trailer too and it will work in a smaller and confined area.  

And I would check the A/C unit too, see if the tub drain is open and allowing water to drain properly if you have used it at all.  Odor could come out the area you have noted if you had water leaking from the A/C area  and bacteria formed in a void below it or beneath the shower area.  I would also remove the p-trap in the sink, clean it if necessary and consider placing some boxed baking powder in the cabinet area to see if that helps.  Have you ever stored perishable items in that area?  And did you make the Norcold modification to the propane lines, etc.?   I'm sure you would detect any propane smell and am tossing this stuff out as sometimes foul odors result via these items and even water saturated wood.  

I sent a note on to the factory inquiring about your issue and will see what they have to say.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • marknjudymarknjudy Member Posts: 378

BTW, you can rent those LED scopes pretty cheap at Home Depot. Another thought, there was talk of a box beneath the trailer that allowed access to the trap for the shower. Is it possible it would also provide access to this area as well?

Mark - 2016 T@b Max S (Silver/Red), 2012 F-150
  • cbarnhillcbarnhill Member Posts: 330
    I noticed an odor coming from my bathroom and it turned out to be the trap under the shower. I wasn't using it very much and you need to put water in there every once in a while. After pouring some water in there, the odor went away. Won't it be great if that is it?
    Cindy with my 2015 MaxS (Puppy) and my 2015 Subaru Outback (Boo)
  • NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Both my brother and I have had the shower trap smell.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Ditto on the shower trap smell. Sometimes I use a little bit of blue unscented potty deodorizer in it to help.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    We experienced the same vile smell inside our T@B. We also noticed a leak on the outside of the trailer. Turns out a cracked pipe between the toilet and the black tank was the culprit.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA

• haw396haw396 Member Posts: 1
    Experiencing the same problem with leaking pipe. Can you tell me what you did to fix the problem? Thanks 
  • BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    We just came back from a trip, we have a 2017 Outback, approximately 20,000 miles on it. We had staining around the toilet base. Removed it to find the seal between the toilet and black tank had broken on one-side. This was allowing black tank contents to leak under the toilet under tow. Replaced seal and everything is good.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • duckblind123duckblind123 Member Posts: 61
    We had to have the pipe replaced.  Although out of the one year warranty, NuCampRv did send replacement parts (which cost the cost down), but we had to pay the labor.  However, we had Good Sam Insurance and only ended up paying the deductible.  FYI, to replace the cracked pipe, the entire shower had to be removed.  It took about two days for all of the work.

Marc & Janet
    2016 T@B Max S - 2017 Honda Pilot - Winchester,VA