Options

Trimax Wheel Locks - Size

Howdy!  I have a 2017 T@B Outback with Westlake tires  ST 235/75 R15.
I'm looking at the Trimax Chock Locks and need to know which size to get: TCL 65 or 75.  According to the chart on the Trimax site, either one will work on this size tire but the 75 looks a lot bigger, and hence takes up more space.  A few months ago, I remember seeing that someone with an Outback had bought the TCL 65 and thought it was a bit tight on the tire.  I did a search and can't find the post again.  Have any of you purchased this chock lock for this size of tire?  If so which size did you get and are you happy with the lock so far?  Does anyone have other recommendations for a chock lock? 

Also, what size wheel locks would you recommend?

Thank you!  Deb

Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico

Comments

• Options
    LauraReyLauraRey Member Posts: 338
    I have the smaller ones.
    Red and White, 2017 Max S being towed by a 2014 Honda Ridgeline.  Hello Mountains!
  • Options
    Rolltide82Rolltide82 Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2017
    I have the smaller one.....It's kinda tight but works...Put it on yesterday....I have a 2017 outback
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I have the same tires and just ordered the brahma lock.  It's a bit spendy, and the distributor told me I would need to bend the tabs back a bit, but it will work.  If you can wait until October, they will be distributing a larger lock, but I was assured the current one will work fine.  It seems like it will do the job better than the Trimax.  Here is their website:  http://brahmalock.com.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    JohnDanielsCPA, did you order the shallow lug nut cover with the Brahma?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Yes, thanks for clarifying.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    reeddreedd Member Posts: 61
    Thank you!!  I like the design of the Brahma and how the dish covers the lug nuts.  Trimax has something similar to the Brahma but the reviews on Amazon aren't very good.  I would like to hear your opinion of the Brahma once you've had a chance to fiddle with it. 

Did any of you buy the locking lug nuts?  I was looking at these:  https://www.amazon.com/McGard-24548-Chrome-Black-Thread/dp/B00C5TFOQO/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1490668381&sr=1-6&keywords=mcgard+wheel+locks 
    Deb - 2017 T@B U-basic Outback silver/silver  D@mselfly  
    2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD New Mexico
  • Options
    I had a lengthy discussion with the engineer who designed this lock.  The webpage discusses some aspects of this, but I understand the Royal Mounted Police (Canada) went to him after a rash of small trailer thefts and asked him to come up with something more substantial than what was currently available to reduce theft risk.  The Brahma lock was the result.  Although no lock will prevent a dedicated thief from stealing your trailer if he/she really wants it, making it as difficult as possible will, hopefully, encourage him/her to move on to the next trailer.  If being chased by a bear, I don't have to run faster than the bear; I just have to be able to run faster than you.  Having a good lock illustrates that point.  He also mentioned that of the 8200 locks he has sold, he is not aware of a single trailer that has been stolen.  Again, not a guarantee, but it seems the odds would be with you.

As far as the Trimax, I have heard that the thiefs just drive off with the lock attached.  I don't see how they would be able to do that with the Brahma lock due to its three pronged design.  I also asked him if I should buy two, one for each wheel, for added protection.  He didn't think that was necessary.  Mine is currently on order, as they are waiting for a new shipment; (they are manufactured in Taiwan).  I expect to get mine the second week of April.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
    I hope to pick up our new 2017 T@B Outback next week.  Does anyone know if the 15" Brahma lock fits the 15 inch knobby Outback tire and the wheel-well opening?  I suspect it would fit the tire but does it fit over it within the wheel well.  There is not a lot of space between the fender and the tire.    Also I expect I would require the shallow dish lug cover for the Outback's black steel wheel.  Is that true?  Thanks  Bill.
    2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    I was informed it should fit over the tire, though, I may need to slightly bend the tabs that touch the rim.  I didn't think about the possible space issue between the fender and the tire.  Mine is supposed to ship the first of April.  I will add a post once I get it and try it out.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    FYI... the Brahma lock can be overcome by deflating the tire.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Jenn, Brahma claims this at http://brahmalock.com/faqs-documents/,

"Several of Brahma Lock’s 11 patented features relate to security with a deflated tire, and have been extensively tested to ensure that the lock cannot be removed by deflating the tire.
    With the WL001 Wheel Lock, when a tire is deflated, the lock retains its position in relation to the wheel rim and any attempt to rotate either of the two “rotatable” hooks causes them to be stopped by the tire. Even when the tire is unseated from the rim, it simply “bunches” the tire causing the Brahma lock to grip even tighter. Virtually all the tires on trailers we secure have bands of spring steel in the casing of the tire and are extremely difficult to cut.
    With the WL002 Wheel Lock, even complete removal of the tire will not allow the lock to be removed from the rim because the hooks reach around and hold on to the wheel rims. Also, both models have a lug nut cover, whose function is to lock up inside the rim and not allow the wheel/tire to be rolled out through the opening between the arms.
    Some brands of locks are easily pulled off with chains, and some brands have flat plates that do not stop deflated tires from being rolled out through an opening. These problems are some of the main reasons that Classic Industrial Design Ltd. was asked by police departments and insurance corporations to design a better product; the Brahma Wheel Lock.

Would you disagree with this claim?

Bill

TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited March 2017
    I would say that every lock has a vulnerability and IMHO, Brahma Locks overstates their superiority.

I cannot think of a single instance of a reported T@b theft where the trailer has utilized any type of lock. I am not saying it hasn't happened but I am saying I don't think it's common.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I think I will get (2) Trimax Chock Locks - TCL 75 for the Outbacks 15" rims. ( the big chunky ones).  It may be overkill but I've spent too much money on this baby to not spend the extra $85 for a second lock.  I also plan to get an unattended hitch lock.  Do I sound paranoid?  :s  Oh ya' I'm also gonna lock the spare tire.   LOL

• Options

• Options
    goddess523goddess523 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Bill!  I know this thread is already a year old, but I was wondering how your purchase of the Trimax turned out?  We have the Outback version as well, and I curious if we need to get the 75 or 65?!
  • Options
    Never got the Trimax, I ended up with the http://brahmalock.com . The larger of the two with the conical plate fits the Outback T@B .  Love the lock, feel very secure with it.  Only minus critique I have is that it is very heavy and large to travel with.  But if you want the security its a small price to pay. 

• Options
    goddess523goddess523 Member Posts: 2
    Understandable!  I think our tires are 14" though, which doesn't seem to match what everyone else's outback tires are?!  They are the big chunky ones though.  I'll double check the size when I get home, but I do think that's a bit strange.