Options

Keder Rail

Bill_CochraneBill_Cochrane Member Posts: 103
edited May 2022 in Tips & Tricks
Does anyone know the size (Diameter) of, or how to measure the Keder Rail diameter for the T@B?  That's the one to use for attaching the awning or side tent.  I'm thinking of buying some Keder "Flap" and experimenting with my own awning.
2017 White with Black T@B Outb@ck, Max S ( rec'd on May 2nd, 2017)
TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    edited May 2022
    5/8”  3/8” is a good fit. European keder rails use a different size. I used 5/8”  3/8”  rope when I made my awning and it worked well. Good luck!

(Edited per Moderator for accurate future reference.)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TV is a 2017 White Honda Ridgeline, Detroit Auto Show North American Truck of the Year  Love it. 

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I recently purchased some 8.5mm (5/16") to fabricate a screen skirt and it seems to fit fine. I based that on a rough measure of the cord on my PahaQue awning.

Larger sizes would go in a little tighter but also offer a bit more grip if that's a concern.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217

ScottG said:

I recently purchased some 8.5mm (5/16") to fabricate a screen skirt and it seems to fit fine. I based that on a rough measure of the cord on my PahaQue awning.

I've thought about this - will you share more info about the project? Maybe in a new thread so we can find it in the future.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I'm not at all surprised you've thought of this, @Photomom.  :-)

It's still in progress, but it looks promising--I'll post about it (with photos) once it's complete and passes field trials. The skirt is part of a larger project involving a homemade screen panel for the front of the awning. Both pieces together will (hopefully) result in a reasonable enclosed screen room for those early season bug infestations.

The front panel is an attempt to copy the commercially available (but pricey) item. It should be relatively straightforward so long as we get the measurements right. The skirt had to be designed from scratch. It looks like it will end up being two pieces that Velcro together around the door step.

On a related note, we also have our "hair net" supplemental screens for the windows ready for deployment. Thanks again for posting the idea and directions for those.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We bought the front wall for our awning primarily for rain protection and after using it a couple weekends ago I don't think it would do much to keep bugs out. There are gaps at the two lower corners, and gaps at the top where some of the toggles are further apart than their corresponding loops. You might pay particular attention to those areas. 

We have a very good screen house from our tent camping days and would probably just take that if we were spending any time in the Adirondacks during black fly season!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    I just measured the keder rail itself on my 2015. The gap is 1/4". The width of the opening (where you slide the cord in) and the inside channel is 3/8" - 7/16" at best--it's hard to get the calipers in there for a real precise reading.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

5/8" is a good fit. European keder rails use a different size. I used 5/8" rope when I made my awning and it worked well. Good luck!

Becky are you sure it was 5/8 that's over 1/2". Did you mean 3/8"?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Thanks @Dalehelman! I first bought 3/16" rope. While nice, it was too narrow and popped right out. I then bought 3/8" and it works well with the tarp in the rail. I'm almost wondering if a 1/2" would fit, but it would probably be too tight. 

@Bill_Cochrane once you decide what you're doing make sure to buy a can of silicone spray and spray inside the keder rail as you slide whatever you've got into it. The spray will make your life much easier as it makes your fabric or whatever slide nicely. I swear I use mine on all sorts of stuff, home garage doors twice a year included!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

With a name like keder you'd think it would be metric. However, I see a range of rails online in both mm and inches.
    It looks to me like the T@B rail interior diameter is 11 mm with a slot gap of 7 mm.
    What does the factory say the rail size is?
    Based on other posts (search for "keder") it appears 5/16" to 3/8" cord works fine depending on thickness of the fabric being sewn around it.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    Brainstorming now so please no laughing..I was thinking of the various cords I could use under the fabric without buying actual Keder flap or welting.  Nautical sail rope, clothesline wire rope, and then a eureka moment.. how about a 3/8" electrical power cord?  It's stiff, yet flexible and the rubber coating would keep a consistent thickness as it slid through the channel.  Is this practical?  Anybody use this or are there better options?

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Power cord would not be a good idea. It's not as strong as the nylon ropes. Try a Joanne's fabric store or Amazon for the Keder flap or welding. Sometimes using the correct materials saves having to redo the project. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    So just to be sure...8.5 mm works?  What length have you bought?

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn