Options

How to get to glycol expansion tank

I am heading up to Big Meadows Campground along Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Nat'l Park this weekend.  Not one to worry about things until I need them, I anticipate using my Alde heating system this weekend.  In anticipation of doing so, I have read many a thread on how to use it on propane (there are no hook-ups).  I want to check the expansion tank, but it seems that the tank is located behind the couch, behind a wooden panel secured with two screws.  Do I need to remove the couch back to have enough room to maneuver so that I can remove the wooden panel and see the tank?  If so, how is that accomplished.  I have a 2015 320S Maxx Outback.  We are still getting to know each other.   Thanks in advance folks!
2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
Crozet, VA

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Freshaire said:
    Do I need to remove the couch back to have enough room to maneuver so that I can remove the wooden panel and see the tank?  If so, how is that accomplished.  I have a 2015 320S Maxx Outback.  We are still getting to know each other.   Thanks in advance folks!
    Yes...  The couch back will lay flat by pulling the back toward  you, you'll hear a "click" and this will allow you to push the back away from you, where it should lay down flat.  You probably could reach over the back of the couch without lowering it, but this way you will have ample room to access the reservoir.  

Remove the two screws from the wood panel, pull the panel up and out and the Glycol tank sits in the right-hand corner and has a removable cap that allows for filling.   
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    I’m going to big meadows too

I will hopefully by to get there by 8 am to look for a site

Maybe we will see each other 

I just added the fluid to the system by behind the bed on the right-hand side of the trailer. I can show you this this weekend if I get there

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    edited November 2017
    2018 320S, maybe your's is different. 

Need square bit #1 to remove. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 226
    Great pics 
    Could have used them a month ago when I could not figure out how to check
  • Options
    FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    @Michigan_Mike.  I was thinking I had to remove the couch back.  I did lie it down, I removed the screws in the panel, but the panel wasn't budging.  Upon closer inspection, it seems the back panel was placed before the front to back pieces of plywood on the sides and the 2 x 4 in the middle were placed, so they butt right up against the back panel.  I can't lift it up because of the trim piece above it  ( and also I suspect it is snug against the front to back support pieces.  I see as my only option cutting into the plywood panel.  That is way above my pay grade, but I'm going to have to step on up.  For the woodworkers out there, what tool do I need?

In the mean time, I can't see much green in the clear tubes running out of the Alde.  Does that mean it is low on glycol?  If I turn on the Alde, do I run a risk of damaging it?

@Lino it would be great to meet you if you make it this weekend.  It looks like there may be some rain in our forecast.

I love my Tab, but I can't help but ask myself, "What were they thinking?"

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    You should check the glycol level when the Alde is cold.  It should be just a smidgen above the Minimum line.  Normally, there is no glycol in the clear tubing which is an overflow tubing.  It makes it easier to see the Maxium and Minimum markings if you mark them with a permanent marker.  Do you have any history regarding use of the Alde?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @SAM Good to know that there is not supposed to be glycol in the clear tubing.  I really don't have much history on the Tab.  I am the third owner.  The first was a farmer who put it out in his field for a few weeks in the hopes of scaring people away from his property.  That is until his wife said to get rid of it.  Back to the dealer on consignment it went.  Second owner was a woman who used it to travel mostly in state in NC, and mostly I believe, in warm weather.  I doubt the Alde has had much use.

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2017
    Freshaire said:
    @Michigan_Mike.  I was thinking I had to remove the couch back.  I did lie it down, I removed the screws in the panel, but the panel wasn't budging.  Upon closer inspection, it seems the back panel was placed before the front to back pieces of plywood on the sides and the 2 x 4 in the middle were placed, so they butt right up against the back panel.  I can't lift it up because of the trim piece above it  ( and also I suspect it is snug against the front to back support pieces.  I see as my only option cutting into the plywood panel.  That is way above my pay grade, but I'm going to have to step on up.  For the woodworkers out there, what tool do I need?
    I wouldn't butcher up the panel as you'll be sorry and end up with a mess.  The panel might be seated in tight, but should come out with some persuasion.  I did modify the wood panel some to eliminate removing the entire back section, installed a support and finger hole and made the Glycol access door wide enough to allow for easy access any time.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    @Roamey.  My set-up is different than yours.   A fellow forum member who has a 2015 Max S advised me to look at the horizontal panel that is underneath the rear cabinets.  I did and it has two small screws that hold it in place.  To see them you have to put your head underneath the cabinets, as the screws sit right behind the trim piece and are obscured from view while in front of the cabinets. Remove the screws and use the finger hole to remove the panel.  Viola. . . .there is the glycol reservoir!

@Michigan_Mike  I have no doubt I would have made a mess.  I'm grateful the planning was thoughtful, if not a bit obscure.

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,426
    The back shelf was modified in (I think) 2016 to include a small storage cubby underneath. That change also changed how the glycol reservoir was accessed.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CherryrainCherryrain Member Posts: 7
    Could they have made it any harder?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Welcome to the forum @Cherryrain.  I am surprised that no one has replaced that panel with plexiglas or a screen so you can see the level!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Opening it for the first time...I think I may add a handle for next time.
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn