Options

CoolCat AC and Refrigerator Power Draw

We do not have any paperwork or manuals for our 2008 T@B.  Need to know how many watts the CoolCat and Refrigerator draw running together.  Buying a small generator for when we camp on our remote property.  I have been told that the 2000w portables will not handle full load.

Comments

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    I have the cool cat and the 2-way fridge but do not exactly know the exact electrical draw. As you noted, no paperwork came with my T@B either.  However I do know that a 15amp circuit in my garage will power up all AC units in my T@B. It has never tripped over many years of use. That translates to 1800 watts. General consensus seems to be that a 2000W generator will power the camper just fine.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    Most appliances have a label on them that gives the power demand in watts or amps (from which you can calculate watts). Finding the the label could be a bit of of a challenge, but I'll bet a nickel it's there somewhere.

Alternatively, if you can at least find a model number you might be able to hunt down the manual or specs online.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    My brief online search yields this: CoolCat=1800W and Norcold 2way Fridge=100W.
    Thus 2000W generator should be fine.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
    edited January 2018
    The start up current for the CoolCat is too much for some 2KW generators.  The Honda and Yamaha models seem to be OK most of the time.   There was a lot of discussion of this on the Yahoo forum because DM T@Bs used CC ACs exclusively. 
    I don't have any personal experience.

• Options
    bigskyboundbigskybound Member Posts: 16
    We ended up buying a 2800 watt Honda.  Will only use at remote property with camper or for home power outages.  So I tested it today and first a 20 AMP fuse in T@B blew when I put AC load on it.  Then I found that the generator's GFCI tripped.  Replaced fuse, reset GFCI and this time the fuse held, but GFCI tripped again. Had no problems when we hooked up to friend's 2000 watt Honda last year.  I also notice that neither of the AC Circuit Protectors on generator seem to reset.  Looks like I may have gotten a defective generator.

Still, are there any tips to running camper AC, etc. off generator that I am missing?  Last year it was just plug n play!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Do you know what a "loop-back" plug is?

If you have external (or added) a Progressive-type surge protector, you'll need one. It has to do with floating grounds. Our engineer friends can elucidate more on these. You can either make one or Progressive Industries makes one.

This *may* be your problem. Also make sure you aren't on Eco mode when you start up (you probably already know that). It's half the power sustained. 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    Do you know what a "loop-back" plug is?

If you have external (or added) a Progressive-type surge protector, you'll need one. It has to do with floating grounds. Our engineer friends can elucidate more on these. You can either make one or Progressive Industries makes one.

Ratkity, I have no idea what a loop back plug is.  Please enlighten me.  Regarding the surge protector, is this similar to a surge protector power strip? Will either of these require a trip to "the shop" for installation or can  I simply get them from, say, CampingWorld?
  • Options
    OK.  We found the surge protectors that can fit between power and camper without hard wiring.  Still scratching our heads about why this particular generator caused problems that the other did not.  Is it the inverter technology in the Honda EU2000?  I am completely at sea with electrical.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited July 2022
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    All generators have inverters built in or there wouldn't be plugs :wink: V gave you a great link!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)