Options

Moved up to a 320S from a Silver Shadow

SteveKSteveK Member Posts: 17
We bought a new TAB 320S in December and just got back from a short shakedown trip.  Previously we enjoyed camping in a Silver Shadow 5x10 but decided that we would really like to have heat and an indoor toilet.  Such luxury!

The only issue we encountered was the fresh water fill and pump.  We were dry camping and found that it is a bit of a struggle to get the last gallon or two into the fresh water tank.  I think that NuCamp must have the fresh water fill pipe and vent tube extended down into the tank a ways so that when the water comes up to the height of the pipe ends, filling goes very slow and we get a lot of burps and bloops.  Not a major issue but an item for a wish list of improvements.

The second item with the fresh water was that I found that the water pump will not self prime unless the water tank is pretty near full.  We let the water get down until the water pump was running continuously (to find out how low we could go on the meter).  I tried adding a gallon and half of water but the pump would still not prime and so ran continuously.  I ended up adding water until the tank was full, and then the pump primed and after opening the faucet to let the air out, the pump caught and all was back to normal.  Again, not a major issue, just a lesson learned.  Don't let the water lever go below about 30 on the meter, and all is good.  Another item for the wish list would be for NuCamp to mount the pump lower in the trailer so that it can self prime with less water.  Also would be nice if they extended the pump input all the way to the bottom of the tank.  It seems like there is about a gallon that the pump can not reach.  I realize you could then suck in debris from the tank, but I would rather take that chance than do without the extra gallon of water given how small the tank is.

All in all we are extremely pleased with the trailer.  I found that it is a little tongue light and tows better since I moved the spare tire to the tongue.

2018 TAB 320 S and 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Welcome to the Tab family! The 320S is a fabulous improvement over tent and air mattress days. To answer your first question, Camco makes a short hose insert with ballcock to add water to your tank. There’s an art to getting some air around the tube so the water goes down vs all over your feet. You’ll get the hang of it. Can’t help with the pump issue except that the one time mine had an air block I held the toilet handle in open for a few minutes till the air quit and the water flowed. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    SteveK, some of us have found when you plan to dry camp, hook up to city water at home and fill the Alde hot water tank and get the air out of the plumbing.  Then when at camp, you waste less water from the fresh water tank when filling the Alde and priming.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Thank you for the info. @SteveK, can you show me what spare tire part you used? I would like to move mine as you have. Thanks.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @dsfdogs, Go to the "SEARCH" box & type in spare tire mount. There are all kinds of different front mounts to choose from. Just when you get ready to move it from underneath, go slow & be careful, there's not much "maneuver" room under there!
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    SteveKSteveK Member Posts: 17
    I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J06MCE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 with a couple U bolts from the hardware store.
    2018 TAB 320 S and 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T
  • Options
    @dsfdogs, I used the same one as @SteveK for my front mount as well using U bolts. Take the brackets with you to the hardware store to ensure you get the right size U bolts, as they come in different sizes. I also found a rubber pad at the hardware store to wrap around the jack tube to help protect it. When I installed mine, I made sure the weight of the spare was resting on the frame before tightening the nuts for the U bolts.
    By the way, @dsfdogs, where in Central Oregon? I have friends that live in Junction City & Eugene area. My youngest son graduated from University of Oregon...go Ducks! :)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thank you @SteveK for the link and thank you @ericnliz for the tips. This is the exact way I want mine. I like that it rests on the trailer. Also, I have a sway bar attached to the passenger side of my trailer, which leaves little room for a tire (much less a sewer hose tube). Now I just need to find some unsuspecting helpful neighbor that will crawl under there and take down the tire! I'm not strong enough to hold on to the tire with one hand and keep my face out of the way, and don't want to use my teeth to unscrew it!  :o I don't suppose these 2018's actually allow the tire to be raised and lowered like my spare on my 4Runner?! 

Eric, I'm in Bend! I moved here permanently 1 1/2 years ago from Sf bay area. Grew up in Beaverton  :)  I also have family in Springfield (near Eugene).
    Debbie in Oregon

• Options
    You should think about joining us at Lincoln Rock in May. I'm pretty sure there are still sites available.
    My friends from Oregon will be here later today for Liz's memorial tomorrow. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    Thank you Eric. I looked at that, but it's a bit further than I want to go my inaugural year. I do look forward to meeting you and others from WA though. My thoughts are with you tomorrow.
    Debbie in Oregon

• Options
    @dsfdogs , Debbie, Might want to search out some local groups. We have a great group here in Spokane (SpoT@B) that meets once a month for breakfast in the winter months, and we're talking about having once a month camping trips to different places, depending on who does, or doesn't already have plans. Lots of fun, good information, and a great place to share modification ideas. I look forward to meeting you one of these days. If you're ever in the Spokane area, give us a shout here on the forum & we'll see if we can a get-together planned. :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    dsfdogs said:
    Thank you Eric. I looked at that, but it's a bit further than I want to go my inaugural year. I do look forward to meeting you and others from WA though. My thoughts are with you tomorrow.

Be bold! These are good little trailers. I bought a used 2013 last spring and started on a 3,000mi PNW a month later. I came back down to SF from Spokane through Bend.  There were a few hiccups but nothing insurmountable.
    I'll be stopping in Bend (Tumalo) for a couple of days on may way up to Lincoln Rock for the Rally. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab