Cover for side air conditioning vent on T@B 400

Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
edited December 2021 in Tips & Tricks
Recently, we noticed a photo of a T@B 400 with a cover over the air conditioning side vent. We have thought that perhaps, 
a cover would prevent wasps, hornets, etc from making "home" behind the screen. Just wondering if anyone has experienced 
this problem with their T@B...and how did you remedy it?  

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited February 2018
    Elsie in Parts at nüCamp will have the A/C cover.

I normally take my cover off on my T@B 320 A/C unit as soon as it starts getting warm, so it’s not a solution to keep out stinging critters. But, there is a fine screen between the outside louvers and the A/C unit, so you should not have to worry about those stinging critters nesting in the A/C units. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    May have been our 400 with the cover installed that you saw.  I keep it on when it is cooler weather, prevents cold air from filtering in.  Also keep it on when towing to prevent outside contaminants from getting inside. Stays on while the 400 is in our shop with just the upper snaps fastened.  A pretty simple installation and we used one on our 320 also. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 220
    it keeps the rain out when driving. Mine is made of an old plastic box lid and velcrow. You know the build material of champions, giggle
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Yep, Velcro & duct tape....helps keep America "stickin' around! :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Om3Om3 Member Posts: 72
    Thank you so much for these responses!!!!  Very helpful, indeed :)
  • GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    edited March 2021
    I'm a new 400 owner and I got a cover for the A/C vent that came with it. It snaps on easily and matches the side wall color but I don't see how it would keep buds out as it is loose enough that bugs can easily get in. I wonder if this is something worth doing something about. Should I travel with it attached or might it fly off?  Just when should I put it on? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I only put my on for winter storage, it may keep something out, but not much. When driving it seems like it would tear itself up pretty quick, so after one short trip I took it off. I don't worry about rain while driving, it should be pretty sealed from the inside, after all the bottom tray fills up and spills over the side when using the AC, plus any rain should pretty much slip stream right past the vent when towing in rain.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2021
    As far as insects go, only Very small spider creatures are likely to get past the fine screen on the outside AC vent.  So no need to worry about bees, wasps, etc setting up house in the AC vent, not enough room on the out side the screen, and they are not getting past the screen.  
    The cover is for dust/dirt and reduce air drafts in winter.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    FWIW, we drove with ours attached for 24,000 miles last year and it was still there. LOL
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Melanietab400Melanietab400 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone had issues towing in the rain with road spray getting in the trailer? Are you supposed to cover the cool at while towing in the rain?
  • ColoradoSunColoradoSun Member Posts: 134
    Melanietab400 The factory supplied cover is intended for storage only not when being transported. However I have heard that some people leave on while towing. I haven't had a problem with road spray when towing with the cover off but I have not towed in the rain much.
    2021 T@B 400 BD, 2020 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
    SW Colorado
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I was cautioned by our dealer to remove the CoolCat cover before towing, as it can be pulled off by the wind.  Any rain entering the rear grill will just drain back out, so not an issue.
     Cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • BinghiBinghi Member Posts: 261
    I left the cover on once while driving. Noticed something awry in my side mirror; it was the cover catching wind and looking like it was going to fly off. Pulled over and took it off to avoid possibly losing it. I don’t recommend leaving it on while on the road.
    2021 400 BD / 2016 VW Touareg / Austin, TX