Options

GPS Devices vs Cell Phone Apps

So there's been some discussion about using one of those "RV GPS" devices like Rand McNally or Garmin and now that apps can be downloaded, I was wondering who uses what --- specifically in finding campgrounds.  Lots of apps out there but if you're not near a cell tower I'm guessing that app won't work in finding a place (?). I'd want something to locate BLM, national forests, parks (for boondocking) and then rv sites. The little I've seen of what the RV GPS devices offer looks cool with the various features. Curious as to what you all use (if anything). Michele
Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

Comments

• Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    I realize many have destinations in mind when they camp but my question above is probably geared more toward those who are on the road full time and "winging" it sometimes!

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I am currently using apps for GPS...finding campgrounds etc... I take screenshots of my route for offline use...just don't need another gadget...
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Although it is now discontinued, I use Microsoft Streets & Trips. I believe you can still find copies on the web. It is not web-based and you open .GPX files, and it people have crowd sourced a "Mega POI" file, that has data sets for campgrounds, Walmart, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Flying J, Pilot, and literally dozens of other categories that you can hide or show. I use this for planning and sometimes if I have to make a change on the fly. Streets & Trips also seems to do the best job of any tool I have come across for estimating the cost of the trip in gas. In the route planning option you can set your start and end times each day as well as schedule breaks after certain lengths of time. I have yet to come across anything that is as comprehensive for multi-day route planning as this. The shame of it is that software like this is phasing out due to products like Google and Bing Maps. Hopefully, we will see better trip planning software emerge in the form of apps.

I have noticed that both Bing and Google are improving with campgrounds. I had to find a campground while driving back from the west last year and I simply asked Cortana to find a campground near "XXX" - can't remember which town, but out returned one, and I was able to call from the entry. It was very convenient.

I have been using my phone (Android, then Windows Phone) as pretty much my sole means of navigation on my trips to the west since 2010 and they have been nearly flawless. Not sure if other phone platforms have off line maps readily available, but I know my Windows Phone does and I really like that.

No matter what you use, the key to know your route ahead of time, if possible. We probably have all picked the wrong entry when we did our little GPS search and been given directions to the wrong spot as a result. Planning ahead, significantly reduces the risk of those mistakes.  I like to save locations as my favorites on my desktop/tablet and then they are automatically synced with my phone. So, now, I can just execute a voice command to "get directions to One Mile Campground" and I know that it will navigate to the proper spot. The other thing about planning ahead is that it gets you looking at your route to avoid places you don't want to tow. For example, it is shorter and faster to go over Independence Pass to Aspen in many cases, but I should not tow my T@b because I exceed the length allowable by a couple of feet.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Good info, thanks! --- I just found these two links: http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-gps-comparison-review-best-options/

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-app-guide-open-road/

Jenn - On the second site, they mention the Streets & Trips in the review of the GPS CoPilot --- "For those of you out there that like Microsoft Streets and Trips this is a handy plan B."  And that app can be used offline.

The Rand McNally RV GPS app looks promising too. Instead of buying a separate GPS unit in the beginning, I may try some of the apps and see how it works for me.  And of course I'll have good ol' fashioned maps too! I actually love reading maps but while driving alone I'd like to have some kind of navigation assistance.

• Options

Yes, I always have the Delorme's Gazeteers for the more remote areas and off road travel.

I will check out GPS Copilot, thanks!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2015
    I use a Garmin occasionally and actually had it direct me into the side of a mountain one time out west, so they do make mistakes and you need to be careful and have a good road atlas handy to fine tune your routes....  

This is a good topic and we have discussed it at various times on both forums.  Here are some links below that will help.  I use multiple apps on the road when I travel:

Gas Buddy
    AllStays
    IExit

Little Guy discussion for apps

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I wish they'd have an app similar to the IExit but for state hwys (I didn't get a good look at the IExit one but believe it's only for the interstate which I plan on avoiding as much as possible). Love Gas Buddy and will definitely get AllStays. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll check out what's posted via the LG link!

• Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    I use iPhone and iPad apps - The iPhone has GPS but you need the cell-enabled version of the iPad to get the gps (the additional cost is still cheaper than a dedicated gps). For most apps you don't need data turned on to use the mapping/gps functions - except "maybe" if it needs to get a new major area.

There's tons of good apps either free or low cost...I rely the most on these two...
    AllStays - Shows public as well as commercial campgrounds as well as other info
    Ultimate CG - Like AllStays but seems to have more public lands (BLM)

If you need topo maps, the best I've seen are the series of "ScenicMap" apps.
    If you want to track your adventures there's "MyTracks HD" on iDevices as well as the Mac.

I actually have about 10 apps related to travel etc. but use the above the most.

• Options
    Screen shot of my travel related apps.
  • Options
    Wow PXLated - I think that's what I'd end up with seeing as there is so much available. Right now I have a Kindle but also have an iPhone. Not sure what I'll do when I hit the road (iPad, laptop, new Kindle) - maybe in the beginning I won't get anything new just to get a feel of what I think I'll want/need. Will add some apps to the iPhone to get started --- but it's so tempting!

Mike - I laughed when you said your Garmin directed you into the side of the mountain (of course that wouldn't really be funny) but I know what you mean about GPS. 

• Options
    Michele - That's just the apps I've kept loaded - I do need to weed some of them out that I only occasionally use.
    If I could only have three, it'd be AllStays, UltimateCG and one of the ScenicMap areas - And Apple Maps app. My pages for photography and music have many more apps. iOS apps are usually so cheap you can download many and see what works best for you.
    I will always have a MacBook because I have so many heavy duty apps for design and photography. But, most people could get by with an iPad. If your main usage is email, Facebook, and surfing the net, that's all you need. They also have longer battery life and can be charged easily while you drive. And there's millions of apps to meet almost any need. If you want to surf the net remotely (or have the GPS) you do need to get the cell enabled model but that option costs less than a dedicated GPS.
    Kindle's an option but it doesn't have a gps option nor does it have that large of an app library even though it's a fork of the android platform.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Michele, I've been "winging it" for the past 7 weeks. I've used Allstays Camp & RV to find campsites. After I find a campground on Allstays, I input the address into the Garmin and take off. If I need to find a specific business (dog groomer, hair stylist for me, Lowe's, etc.), I use the YP (Yellow Pages) on the iPhone. I either use Apple Maps to find the address or input the address into the Garmin. So, my answer is that I use both the iPhone and the Garmin. And, by the way, the iPhone gets warm when using it all day as a GPS unit. I don't know if that harms it, but a Garmin is less expensive to replace than an iPhone. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Vera/Michele - I don't actually use the gps (iphone or garmin) until I get in the area. I usually just set a checkpoint (from A go to B), then I look at the map again and go to C. Then I use the iPad/GPS to zero in on D. iPhone/iPad doesn't heat up or use much juice that way. If I'm totally in the boonies then the gps is used a little more.
    The reason I like the phone gps better than a standalone is the maps are being constantly updated (hourly/daily) - not so on the standalones unless you get an expensive one that has a data connection.
  • Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2015
    I use a Mac and iPhone.  On the Mac I use an app called Route Trip Planner for planning my trip.  It is very easy to create both route and POI pins.  The app calculates up to three routes between pins and calculates the times, fuel cost etc.  It can also create an itinerary to leave with friends or family.  There is a free companion IOS app that reads the file.  I have used it to export the pins in a GPX format that I can import into my Garmin nevi GPS.  For example on my upcoming Key West trip I have about 250 pins (stops, friends, sightseeing etc.) that I will be nice to have in the Garmin.  I also have all of the pins in my Contacts so that I can also navigate to them from my iPhone using either Apple Maps or Garmin N. America app.  

I also have a membership in AllStays Pro a web based app that provides information on camping (you can sort on many different variables like cost, NFS, state parks etc. and also search for Rest Areas and Truck Stops. The disadvantage of this web-based app is that you need to be online to view the database.

The author of the Route Trip Planner also makes another great Mac and IOS app The Ultimate Public Campground Project and free The Ultimate US Military Campgrounds. Both of these can export a pin to Route Trip Planner.  You don't need an internet connection to use either of these.

The author of Route Trip Planner also has other useful Mac / IOS apps like Boondocking which lists free camping spots and Lifes A Beach showing locations of beaches in the USA.  Again neither of these require an internet connect to plan a trip and the pins can be exported to Route Trip Planner.

I really like apps that are interconnected so that it can make a long journey easier to plan.
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    PXLated - I hadn't thought about the Kindle not having a gps option - good to know now! Yea, their app options aren't as good as iTunes.
    Verna - nice to hear you're out there "winging it" and finding places to stay. The AllStays app seems very popular and I'll definitely give that a try. Wanderoo also told me about the Ultimate Campground site and how one can download the file to your computer (gives monthly updates) so you can look at it offline.  Now I can't wait to get going!

• Options
    Mercator - you really sparked my interest in Lifes A Beach --- one of my ideas is to do an entire coastal trip of the US (well as much as possible) - that app sounds wonderful! Also I like that the Road Trip Planner has the ability of importing info into a Garmin. Thanks.

• Options
    Mercator - I'll have to take a look at "Route Trip Planner" - So many apps, so little time :-)

PinApp - Plots your photos on a map, shows you where you took them as long as they have geo info in the file (cell phone pics do).
    AroundMe - Plots all your contacts on a map, shows who's around you or close by on a trip.
    Coverage? - Cell coverage maps
    PublicLands - Shows all public lands.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited February 2015
    I wish they'd have an app similar to the IExit but for state hwys (I didn't get a good look at the IExit one but believe it's only for the interstate which I plan on avoiding as much as possible). 
    True, the IExit app does work primarily on US highways, but for long cross country trips it's hard to beat as you can hone in on the nearest rest area in advance of the stop as well as just about any other facilities therein.  

Here are some additional apps:

The 25 Best Road Trip Apps

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Oh boy, I'm getting overwhelmed :o Thanks though - I'll check them all out!

• Options
    Is anyone using a cell phone booster? I see Wilson Electronics, which seems to be the go-to brand is now branded WeBoost. I am likely going to invest in one this spring.

• Options
    I thought about a booster but over the 4-months I've had Verizon LTE coverage everywhere but Northest/East New Mexico. I evenhad it deep in a canyon north of Lake Havasu which really surprised me.
    I did have to relocate my setup in one BLM to get LTE. And I had no cell signal around the town of Oatman, AZ.
    So, I've held off and won't be getting one unless things change.
    Apps that show cell coverage could be handy.
    Every area seems to have some kind of coverage even if Verizon doesn't - Other people in those areas I didn't have any did have and use cell phones so I've thought of just buying a throwaway phone for those areas. 
  • Options
    Well, I am looking for boosting my data for business purposes. I have to have a reasonably strong, reliable signal for work. Some places are definitely better than others.

• Options
    Mine has been high-speed LTE - It's been faster than any wifi I've managed to tie into - McDonalds, libraries, even Starbucks. I'd use it exclusively if a 20gig data plan was reasonable. I've been totally surprised by it.
  • Options
    I know one spot where I want to spend time has weak service, so I would definitely need to boost it. I also know around Moab the service strength varies.

• Options
    It all depends on what service you have and where you're going. So everything I've posted has a "your mileage may vary" disclaimer :-)
  • Options
    Here's something I just thought of - Do cell signal boosters work with both voice & data channels?
    As I've mentioned, I've had great Verizon LTE (data) - which I rely on the most - BUT the call service has been spotty. Lots of dropped calls.
  • Options
    It depends on the model, but the ones I am looking at do.

• Options
    edited February 2015

I am looking at this booster: http://store.weboost.com/products/drive-4gs and this antenna:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DTZ26O/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=240H2NSJXK6OI&coliid=I3FAY5Y7ZUY8ZA.

I would mount the antenna on a extendable painter's pole and bungee it to the handle on the T@b when camping and use the antenna that comes with in the Jeep.

• Options
    Jenn - heads up...your antenna link is the same as the one to the unit.
  • Options
    PXLated said:
    Jenn - heads up...your antenna link is the same as the one to the unit.
    Thanks, fixed.