Long Distance Travel in a Tab

lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
I’m new to the forum and am interested in asking folks in the group about traveling/towing long distances with the Tab travel trailers.

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a Tab 400.  We generally will stay on the road for a month or more and traveling sometimes several thousand miles.

Are there folks in this group that have taken long trips in their Tabs and feel confident that they hold up as well as larger travel trailers?

An example of a long distance trip is from our home in NC to Nova Scotia and PEI or out west to Arizona or Utah areas and maybe beyond.

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Just for a taste of all the places you can go, try the "Post Up Some Shots Of Your Tab At The Campsite" threads.  People go all over the place.  The only thing that seems to hold them back is where the roads end. 

50 pages of trip reports and campground photos......

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Just searched on 10,000 miles in the upper right search box/field and found several interesting comments; these might be helpful in addition to @pthomas745’ s great suggestion!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    We travel about 60 days and ~12,000 miles each year.  Many trips have been in the 4-6 week range.  One of the most recent is our Aug. 2017 north Atlantic tour (inc. NS & PEI) briefly described on page 39 of the discussion mentioned above.
    Only once in all our travels have we had to adjust our travel plans to accommodate some unscheduled trailer maintenance and then only an extra night in a coastal Maine campground.
    I think it is more about your comfort and adaptability to travel in a little trailer than the durability of the T@Bs
    Have Fun!!

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    lpanthers said:
    I’m new to the forum and am interested in asking folks in the group about traveling/towing long distances with the Tab travel trailers.

My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a Tab 400.  We generally will stay on the road for a month or more and traveling sometimes several thousand miles.

Are there folks in this group that have taken long trips in their Tabs and feel confident that they hold up as well as larger travel trailers?

An example of a long distance trip is from our home in NC to Nova Scotia and PEI or out west to Arizona or Utah areas and maybe beyond.
    I did 3,000 miles in CA/OR/WA last summer about a month after buying my 2013 T@B. And I consider myself a newbie. There seem to be a lot of people here who rack up a lot more miles. 
    I don't think that there's any question that they hold up as well as (or better than) bigger trailers. I think that biggest question is whether you and your wife are comfortable sharing a small space for extended periods.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • lpantherslpanthers Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the great input guys and gals concerning my question about long distance travels.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @Ipanthers, we traveled RT from Ohio out to Utah for a month March - April just this year.  The Tab performed flawlessly and it was nice to easily unhook and go see the sites.  It has routine maintenance just like any other trailer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • FergieFergie Member Posts: 143

FergieFergie  Posts: 58Member

One of our posts from last year:

November 2017

We moved from southern Minnesota to Alaska last summer to be with families who had lived there for years. We are both retired.  We originally were going to do this years ago, but the economic bust of 2008 made that financially unfeasible until this year. Two years ago we decided to buy a camp trailer, a decent tow vehicle and make plans to sell our house and travel across the country to visit friends and relatives before heading up to the Alaska Highway. 

This was no small feat for a couple in their mid-to-late 70's! We bought a new 2015 T@B and a 2009 Ford Expedition for our camping rig. We got rid of most of our furniture and lots of accumulated stuff to reduce our moving costs, sold our house, did our own packing for the movers, packed our SUV and our camper and last June embarked on a two month, 8000 mile odyssey across North America to sight-see, visit old friends and relatives on our way to Alaska! 

Our visitor stops included North Dakota, Colorado, California and Washington before we headed up to Canada and dodged wildfires to get to Dawson Creek, the start of the Alaska Highway, which was celebrating the 75th anniversary of its completion. In-between these visitor stops we always stayed two nights at each campsite so we could take in the local sights and, in many cases, the wonderful local museums. We arrived in Palmer, Alaska two days before my 80th birthday that we celebrated with a trip to the old gold mine at Hatcher Pass! 

Both the T@B and the Ford Expedition performed wonderfully. It was the journey of a lifetime and we strongly recommend that if your health is up to it and you have the opportunity to make such a move, do it! 

Fergie

• VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    We did 7000 mile round trip to Alaska last year.  T@B CS-S quite adequate and performed with no problems.  Certainly easier to deal with than some of the behemoths we saw, and twice the mpg.   Even had our 11 year old grandson join us for the 10 days actually in Alaska.
    Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I do long trips every year and this year am planning 2 long trips. I love my T@b for this type of travel. To beat the heat and humidity we will leverage campground switch electric hookups on our way out to Wyoming and back this summer, and we will save money thanks to the hospitality of Wal-Mart for the fall trip. 

I do highly recommend additional maintenance for your bearings and safety inspections if you do long trips.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2018
    @lpanthers,

simple answer: yes!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    I think what you have for a TV can affect how enjoyable the trip can be. A small, underpowered TV will make the trip a tense, tiring drive. You can never have to much TV.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az