Options

Sideways sleeping on back bench seat

SueBCSueBC Member Posts: 70
edited October 2018 in Solo Travelers Hints & Tips
Hi - as a 50 something single person just bought a 320S boondock, I will be putting the back bench seat down and sleep 'sideways'. Wanted to confirm that I could buy single (twin) sheets and they will fit properly. Also sleeping this way, any suggestions on how you do set the bed up (comforter, linens, any padding etc). I just bought my trailer and as I live in BC (winters coming) it will be spring before I will take it out. Along for the ride will be my faithful, companion Miss Beagle, who I already know will hog the bed!
SueBC
British Columbia, Canada

Comments

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Welcome and congratulations @SueBC! I sleep wheel to wheel when DH isn’t along and love it! I use my ancient trusty sleeping bag. After all, I’m camping! I also bought the Thermarest Hiker self inflating pad which adds just enough extra padding for me. It’s a very cozy nest! Have fun with it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Twin sheets work fine for that area. However, you have to lift the back cushion up to put the fitted sheet ends on either side, lower it down, then put the ends on the front seat cushions.  One option that works is to buy a 2" memory foam topper and cut it too size (leave an inch or so open along the back for the factory heater vents).  This way you simply put the fitted sheet ends on the topper.  In the morning, just roll up the topper with the sheet in place and put it behind the back seat cushion.  Do not fold the topper, as it will crack along the fold (ask me how I know).
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2018
    We sleep wheel-to-wheel too.

I used to try to make the bed up by doing the normal sheet on the bottom tucked in around the cushions, with a typical tucked-in sheet on top, blanket and down comforter on top of that. (No sheets are 'standard' size for the bed)

It ended up being a real pain to get those sheets all tucked in tidy after an exhausting day on the road.

Since then, we've bought a 2in thick topper, and we've enclosed that in a zipup bottom sheet that encases the whole topper. That way all we have to do is roll out the topper, tuck the top sheet in and put the blanket & comforter over the top. much easier.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Kind of like a duvet for the topper!  We did the same thing using a heavy mattress pad and a duvet made out of sheets and velcro.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited October 2018
     (No sheets are 'standard' size for the bed)

Do you mean you use Double size sheets or Twin size sheets? Tbaz said twin is ok, but want to confirm.
    SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    Hmm. I've forgotten! You might have to Google mattress sizes!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @Tabaz, fitted sheets! Now there's a concept! That would have saved me all that tucking!
     So the twin fitted sheet fits the odd dimensions of the collapsed couch?
     If only I'd known...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Thinking sheets (as much as possible) and comforter or other blanket(s) on top. Mainly as I need to make it comfy for my dog (she's a fussy bugger). I'd go with a sleeping bag unzipped, but I hate the zipper, and also most seem to be polyester on the one side, which the dog hates.

SueBC
    British Columbia, Canada
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Welcome and congratulations @SueBC! I sleep wheel to wheel when DH isn’t along and love it! I use my ancient trusty sleeping bag. After all, I’m camping! I also bought the Thermarest Hiker self inflating pad which adds just enough extra padding for me. It’s a very cozy nest! Have fun with it!
    Very similar to my setup. I use a Nemo sleeping bag that has a pocket for the sleeping pad, so that you don't slide off of it all night. I love that sleeping bag. It is a 30 second set up and put away process.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @jkjenn I also like that I just have to air it out every so often vs washing sheets and remaking the bed each time. That’s a huge plus! @SueBC my sleeping bag is cloth outside and sort of flannel inside. Very cozy! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I had  CS-S and really liked a sleeping bag also. Threw it in the washing machine many times. 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have a CS and use twin fitted sheet for sleeping wheel to wheel. I don't bother with a top sheet, just too much mess. I just use a comforter.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL