Options

320s installing a microwave

Am considering replacing the air conditioner with a microwave for winter use.  Has anyone done this yet?  Any details would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Greg 
TAB 320S ,  2018 Volvo V90

Comments

• Options
    DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    I’d really like to do this as well. If anyone has made this mod it would be nice to know what brand/model micro was used.  I only use the A/C in my driveway.  I live where it’s hot—I go where it’s cool! 😀
  • Options
    gregpgregp Member Posts: 23
    The opening for the AC unit is 16 3/4 inches and is comprised of not only the cabinet but also a metal bracket which supports the weight of the AC unit, so widening the opening would entail trimming the wood and modifying the bracket too.  The smallest microwave I can find is 17 inches wide, most are 17.3 inches or wider.  So the question is has anyone found one that fits?   Thanks!  Greg
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Did not know thos existed.  Good, bad, no idea.

the boating world might have your answer.

http://myboatsgear.com/2017/01/09/12v-microwave-oven/
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356

I considered this last year.  The A/C cabinet opening is 16.75 inches wide (aluminum frame to aluminum frame).  The smallest microwave I could find is just under 18.0 inches wide (Westinghouse 700W).  I also considered a "Truckers" 12V micro, but was turned off by the many negative reviews. Here is the one I use in a slide-out wood cabinet over the driver side seating area:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westinghouse-0-6-cu-ft-Counter-Top-Microwave-in-Black-WCM660B/206933252

Also, if you do find one that fits the A/C cabinet, insure sufficient venting by not blocking the A/C outside grill.

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    gardenhomegirlgardenhomegirl Member Posts: 2
    We are working through this now.  I have searched for HOURs to find a microwave with the right dimension, with no luck.  I settled on a Hamilton Beach 0.7 size from Walmart and our next step is to modify the box—as another member has already pointed out.  I’ll document the process in photos and post/announce once we make more progress, so far we only mostly removed the box for modification.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I have finished installing the microwave, it is a 700 watt magic chef from Home Depot with a 17.3 in width.  As @Tabaz points out it won't fit without modifications. After some thought I removed most of the vertical aluminum frame on the right side with a jigsaw, so now the microwave fits.  I then took a piece of plywood cut to size and using industrial adhesive and glued and screwed it next to the trimed vertical aluminum frame.   I then took a piece of sheet aluminum cut it to size and secured it to bottom and top of the aluminum frame and the new wood support with both adhesives and screws.  I then constructed a new maple frame for the outside of the microwave.  I can post a few pics of the frame support modifications if anyone is interested. 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I assume by cutting into the frame, you do not intend on putting the A/C unit back in that cabinet.  After several months of using my A/C cabinet for extra storage, I doubt if I'll ever put the A/C back in.  Nice job!!
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Nice! And the microwave can double as a small storage cabinet when not in use.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Am not sure if I will  use the AC, but it was my intention to sufficiently reinforced the frame to hold the additional weight of the AC unit.  
  • Options
    DcarltonDcarlton Member Posts: 19
    That looks great! Exactly what I want to do.  Nice work!
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    This is gorgeous! Can the 320 handle more than 700w when the T@B is plugged into shore power?
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    CoryCory Member Posts: 3
    Nice job on the microwave install job.I just bought a 2020 Tab 320S Boonedock lite and the air conditioner is under the couch,so I have an empty cupboard.I plan to install a microwave ASAP.I will post pictures etc as Soon as I am done.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    ColleenD2 said:
    This is gorgeous! Can the 320 handle more than 700w when the T@B is plugged into shore power?
    Yes, this is only around 8 AC amps.  But in actual use, the microwave is closer to a 10 amp draw.  A. 30amp Service is good for 3,000 watts.  The circuit breaker for the AC circuit, which is now being used by the Microwave, 
    needs to be at least 15 amps.
    cheere
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Cory said:
    Nice job on the microwave install job.I just bought a 2020 Tab 320S Boonedock lite and the air conditioner is under the couch,so I have an empty cupboard.I plan to install a microwave ASAP.I will post pictures etc as Soon as I am done.

• Options
    Well I finished installing the microwave in my 2020 boonedock 320 s.I installed a 700watt master chef.Had to remove the cupboard and enlarge the door opening to fit the microwave.I used pieces of 2 x 4 to raise it up to proper height and also pcs on either side of opening to prevent the micro from shifting side to side.The frame work I made prevents it from coming forward.I ran the wiredown the wall into the inverter storage box and out through the air vent to pug it in .I used ebony stain to stain the new frame.
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @Cory...great stain match...surprised where you ran the cord there wasn't an electrical outlet there already...

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    Nice job! @Cory.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.