Options

Maiden voyage of "Trail T@rdis" (working name)

morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155

Destination: A mountain lake 2-1/2 hrs from home in southern Arizona. For camping, swimming, trail running. Elevation 5,500ft. Temps 45-70F

Overall:

Wow- couldn't believe how well this unit is designed, how easy it is to tow, and how comfortable it was for 2 people to live in and enjoy for a weekend. We had sooo much fun. Everything I dreamed it would be. I'm 5'8” and my girlfriend 5'3”. We fit well in Trail T@rdis but I've told a number of my taller friends... this isn't for you.

Driving / mpg:

It was windy on the to/fro diving and never felt any swaying from the T@B in 200 miles. I got 16mpg on the way up to the lake (about a 3,000 ft climb), and 22mpg on the way back. No freeways- so moderate speed travel 40-55mph. I got 14mpg when I towed it 100mi of mostly freeway from the dealer- at 65-70mph. Much better than the 11mpg I got hauling an R-pod.

Electrical:

My 100w solar with the stock 75Ahr battery seemed to be plenty for me. For just lights, music, water pump and occasional ceiling fan use- even partially cloudy and hazy sun seemed to keep the battery happy. Lowest I saw was 12.4V once, which is still ~80% charge. One morning with total overcast- it was still creating 10 watts. At this point, I don't think I need more battery and panel- but, limited experience so far.

Fridge:

I had cooled the fridge down on 110VAC prior to the trip, and then put it on battery for the 3 hour drive. Turned on propane once we arrived, temp setting between ** and *** - and food on the bottom shelf froze. Turns out frozen yogurt, frozen carrots, blueberries and even frozen salsa are still pretty good. Guess I need to learn the best setting. Oh, the cabinet under the fridge- should be a drawer. (added for 2020 models) I picked up a few containers that I slide in there.

Dumping:

Hah- I have a sewer clean-out port along side my house. Therefore, I have a dump station in my driveway. That sure is convenient.

Some additional notes:

1. If you toast bagels over the range and don't turn on the ceiling fan- you find out that the smoke detector does indeed function.

2. The hot water mixing valve... just turn it all the way hot. Probably better to remove it entirely.

3. When you run very low on water in the fresh water tank... the water pump runs continuously.

4. The lagun table is a hoot. Pretty sure we used it in every position imaginable.

5. Plenty of storage- but it's important to be strategic as to what goes behind and under the couch.

6. As much as you think you don't need to... you ALWAYS have to remove those two side pillow to open the couch into the bed position (or access below).

7. Deciding where to put things is critical. Did some moving around. Like, the lighter goes up with the dishes, bowls and silverware in the tiny cabinet above the stove, not in the box with the tools down below.

8. The stabilizing arms on my Boondock edition.. are too short. There's really no excuse for this.

9. The whole window thing, with the screens and blackout shade combinations- are terrific. The portal window on the door lets in too much light.

10. Installed the paper towel rack over the door, like I learned on this forum. Nice spot.

11. This is the greatest trash can! You can hang it from the kitchen doors, the under-bench storage door, any place on the upper railings. (as shown in photo 1 below) So, it's right next to you when you're cooking, or out of the way when you don't need it. I recommend this accessory. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FVNZ6BQ

12. The shower head, even when turned off at the head- drips quite a bit. So, you need to use the handles.

13. Arrived home- and found my house to be way too big.

Biggest issue: The Jensen stereo would forget my bluetooth phone pairing- and it would be a long and annoying try and try again process to get it to re-link. We enjoyed music most of our time inside. Never plugged in the TV. Doubt it will ever get used. We brought books.

Water Usage: Arrived Friday afternoon. Thought we were being pretty conservative- but we finished off the 11gal fresh water tank by Saturday night. I brought an extra 6gal container and there was a spigot nearby, so we had plenty of water- but what the heck does everyone else do for water if you are boondocking for more than 3 or 4 days? I figure I could take 12 gallons (100lb) extra with me- but that's still only 3 days worth.

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    If you are boondocking, you have a separate jug with drinking/cooking water, you can use paper plates, wipe out pans and limit your wash and rinse water.  Wash up rather than shower (jump in a river/lake if you can).  General water conservation.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Love the name, must be a Dr Who fan.  Thanks for all the good feedback and the tip on the little garbage can.  We are heading out this morning to the North Shore of Lake Superior, and it's raining!!
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited May 2019
    Those 2 side cushion pillows get left at home now, we put our sleeping pillows in their place. Found they were useless.

We can get 3-4 days on a tank of water with toilet use and showers  each day. Just have to be military showers. Carry water jugs for drinking and cooking, minimal dish washing. Just takes practice.

The shower head is designed to drip like that so you know to turn it off when you're done. Not a fan of that, would prefer to just be trusted to remember. 😁
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I'm happy to hear the T@b is working out well for you.

You do learn a lot on your first trip or two.  After you get your systems and routines dialed in, things will be a breeze.

We never camp for more than a couple days without having access to potable water.  If the trailer tank runs dry, I refill it with a Reliance Aquatainer with a hose attachment. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Care to share you camping destination?  

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    Glad you had a nice trip and thx for the list of lessons learned.  Love the name of your trailer!  We are heading out tomorrow for our first major trip and accompanying us is a little cairn terrier girlie named RiverSong.  She earned the name after she went nuts barking at the Daleks during one of the Pandorica Opens episodes (Dr Who) when she was just 12 weeks old.  
  • Options
    klenger said:
    Care to share you camping destination?  

Parker Canyon Lake.  We stayed in the Lakeview campground- but I've scouted out a couple perfectly fine boondocking locations, and then put them up on Campendium.  
  • Options
    2nd Voyage of Trail T@rdis Complete:

4 Nights in the woods boondocking, trail running, open water swimming.  (Marshall Lake, outside of Flagstaff, AZ)

So- here's what I learned on my 2nd trip:

Power:
    Granted- it's been sunny.  But with just 100W of solar and the stock 75Ahr battery, it never sank below 80% charge.  Many hours of ceiling fan use.  Alde on a lot.  water pump left on pretty much all the time.  Stereo played many hours a day.  Lights at night. cell phone charging. Seem to have plenty of power.  this might become an issue if it's cloudy for a few days in a row I guess, but so far, so good.  Will I ever need any more juice?

Water:
    We were much more judicious this time.  Quick military showers.  minimal flushing.  careful when washing dishes.  We used ~ 4.5 gal/day for two people.  And we probably drank 2 of those gallons!  But- that's still a 4-5 day limit with 2, 6gal water jugs strapped on the rack.

Outdoor Shower
    Easier than the tiny space indoors, and the outdoor shower is closer to the Alde for more instant hot water.  I think the outdoor shower head uses less than the indoor, plus it shuts completely off and doesn't drip.  Seems more efficient.  Just ordered for next trip:  One of those bamboo shower platforms so you don't need to stand in the dirt/mud.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTEXFH8

Toast:
    Ok, this is the last time we'll need to put a fork in our bagels and hold them over the stove to toast them.  Ordered one of those folding camp stove toasters that sits over the stove. Have no idea how well it will work- but looking forward to trying.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCQTVKK

Fridge:
    Stuff right under the fins of the Norcold would freeze.  So- put things there that you like frozen (like blueberries and grapes)  Had the fridge totally packed. Beer all needs to be in cans- as bottles take up too much space.

Television:
    Can't imagine that I would ever turn it on.  Need to come up with something to do with that space.

On 4th of July weekend... if it's a great boondocking location... you'll have plenty of neighbors.  And a few of them will be very noisy.

Love it:
    My girlfriend and I are small people- but the space seems perfect for us.  We dance around each other well inside and never get in each other's way.  So far everything just works perfectly.  It's a brilliant design.  The window system. storage locations, everything.  I don't know how that space would work with a folding leg table in there; the Lagun table is a must.  I wish I had the drawer under the fridge instead of the open space.  I've put some sliding containers in there- but it's not really convenient.  

Driving:
    It's super easy to tow. No problem in the wind or at high speed.  I've got experience towing horse trailers with a large truck, and am even pretty good at backing them up.  However- backing up the T@B is much more touchy.  Guess I need more practice.  

• Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    You should keep the name (Trail T@rdis), I like it.😊