Towing vehicle advice

jbwanderjbwander Member Posts: 5
Hello - we’re new to the forum and will be newbie nucampers once we purchase a towing vehicle and buy what we’ve decided on which is the 320 s. I thought I wanted a v6 Tacoma but after driving one today and seeing the sticker price, i’m re- thinking it. Has anyone had success pulling with a Tacoma 4 cylinder? Other than that, it looks like the Subaru Outback is next in line as a good option. Please weigh in if you have any advice, including anything that I should add to the outback if that’s the route we end up taking. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited May 2019
    Have you looked at the GM Twins, Canyon & Colorado, the model year 2016 and newer are very nice driving mid-size Trucks.  And the V6 model tows my 320S wonderfully.
    If you have long distance travel and western US/Canada travel plans would encourage you not to purchase a "standard" 4-cyl.  Ford eco-Boost 4-cyl might be OK.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Welcome!

Unless you’re looking at a 2020 Subaru Outback, you are limited to a 200 lb tongue weight. I have one, and I do tow with it for now, but it’s so far from ideal that I don’t recommend buying one specifically for that purpose. You cannot “add” anything to it to make it better for towing, such as a transmission cooler or weight distribution hitch. (If you already have one and don’t care about potentially killing your transmission and voiding any warranty, have at it, but keep in mind you’ll have to be very careful about that tongue weight issue.) 

If I were shopping for a tow vehicle right this minute, it’d be a tossup between the Toyota Highlander or the Subaru Ascent, with the edge going to the Highlander Hybrid for mileage. The 2020 Outback is promising, built on the same frame as the Ascent with a 3500 lb overall towing capacity, but so far I can’t find a tongue weight for it...until that’s released and shown to be higher than the previous models, I can’t recommend it.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I researched this heavily once we ordered our 320S but before delivery as we had the 4cyl Subaru Outback. We traded it in for a gently used Toyota Highlander which tows like a dream and is a comfortable roomy ride! Personally I’ve read enough to know that
    I would only tow with 6cyl or an equivalent. Do your homework on towing and good luck with your decision. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    I've been very happy with my Ford Escape 2.0L 4 cyl Ecoboost, the T@B never feels like too much. I think the Escape is less pricey than a Subaru (at least here in Canada). There are no big mountains where I tow, so I don't have any experience with sustained climbing (the biggest hill I tow up is about 800 feet).
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    If you wanted a Tacoma, but were disappointed with how it drives, you need to get behind the wheel of a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon. They are like a Tacoma, but more powerful and more comfortable. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • jbwanderjbwander Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for all the great information everyone — priceless!
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    2009 Canyon tows great and it is a 5 cylinder 3.7.  
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    We got the 2018 Colorado Work Truck model for the 3.6liter engine (300hp, 285 torque) and the long bed since we have an ARE fiberglass cover for added storage space.  Also came with the towing package.  We got the GM installed spray-in bed liner which was cheaper than LineX and has been just as durable (the LineX in my Silverado lasted 18 years with no problems).

We towed our 2006 Clamshell from central Oklahoma (OKC) to Prince Edward Island and back via DC, Virginia, etc. - 5,880 miles with absolutely no problems.  Drove speed limit most of the time - if ya don't drive at least the speed limit on west-bound I-40, the semi's will run over ya!

This was our post-retirement trip to see the foliage change in VT,NH,& ME and Cheryl had to visit Ann of Green Gables place on PEI.  No problems going into CA but the US Border guys wanted to check us out, I think they just wanted to see the trailer and inside the truck bed (we had nothing to hide!) and we were the only vehicle crossing thru that station at that time.

PS: Do not attempt to tow your T@B in DC traffic, driving solo is BAD enough!  We also went around the west side of New York City to avoid the traffic.

John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    Check out the new ford ranger. I bought one just for towing and it's amazing.
  • cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    PS:  Our Colorado is the extended cab model of the work truck model.
    Be advised the rear seats are a joke but the area is good for storing small items: maps, electronic goodies, etc.
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    Check out the new ford ranger. I bought one just for towing and it's amazing.
    We'd all like to hear more about your Ranger experience.
    Miles driven, terrain, cab noise (assume engine will be in higher RPM range than non-towing), MPG with / without T@B in tow . . .

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    The canyons and colorados representing....Nice

I have been eyeballing the New Ranger,     But all the tech on these small engines gives me pause.   I am considering an F150,   but going to opt for the 5.0 liter V8 coyote motor.    There was an interview on youtube at a ford dealership with the mechanics about the F150 motor choices,  all but one picked the 5.0.   Sounds like a pretty strong endorsement to me.

I would love to get the Canyon Diesel,   but the $50k price makes me cringe.    I will probably buy another Canyon in 5 years after my current one hits 250k miles.
    Cbusguy said:
    I would love to get the Canyon Diesel,   but the $50k price makes me cringe.    I will probably buy another Canyon in 5 years after my current one hits 250k miles.
    You sound like me a few years ago.  I ended up selling my '08 Canyon before it hit 150k miles, and bought an '18 Sierra.  Life does not always work out how you think it will. 
    @TabulaRasa Just really nice to hear Chevy for once instead of toyota toyota toyota.   
    I drove a ranger yesterday and liked it, although I could do without all the high tech stuff that seem to be standard these days.
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    Anybody on this forum tow their T@B with a Ford Flex? After being stranded in Cincinnati Ohio for a week on our way home from Florida, it’s time to get rid of our 2016 Ford Escape. At 53,000 miles, they had to replace the torque converter and the turbo charger. This is the third time I’ve had serious problems with it. I thought the 3500 lb towing capacity would be plenty, but now i’ve lost all confidence in it. We’re upgrading to the Ford Flex for its V6 engine and 4500 lb towing capacity. I hope this alleviates any future problems.
    2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
    How about a Nissan Frontier - has anyone towed with one?
  • DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    rkj__ said:
    If you wanted a Tacoma, but were disappointed with how it drives, you need to get behind the wheel of a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon. They are like a Tacoma, but more powerful and more comfortable. 
    Absolutely love my Chevy Colorado... Though if someone wanted to gift me  a For Raptor I wouldn't object.;)

Did a lot of research between Colorado/Canyon, Tacoma, and Frontier... Chevy beat them out just slightly in mpg,Torque, acceleration and towing... Get the z71 with towing package.

I would probably have been happy with a Taco too.. but at the time I bought (2016 model year) Chevy had just updated all their nav/electronics and taco and Frontier were still using older stuff
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    jbwander said:
    We tow with a 2010 Xterra, basically a Frontier. The VQ40 V6 tows the 320 just fine.   Wouldn't tow a 400 though because of the short wheelbase.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Just looked up the Chevrolet Colorado and it’s well worth considering! Hadn’t thought of that before, so thank you!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    jbwander said:
    Yep. I have the 4.0L V6 with a manual transmission and it tows the 320 easily. When I was looking a few years back, I recall the price was little more palatable then for Tacos or Canyon/Colorados.
    2015 T@B S
  • atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We tow with the 16 Frontier crew cab/ A.R.E. MX glass topper.  The Frontier works well with our 2018 , 400 and would like better mileage, but think that is the feeling with any one towing these days.  The Frontier is a solid (been around a long time) design and a good size for us.  Don't have to call any harbor masters when time to depart!  It is what a regular sized truck used to be before everyone had to have the monsters!  Don't need sway bars or equalizer equipment.  Also can leave the blinds open front to rear and see what is behind us on the road. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    atlasb said:
    ...  Also can leave the blinds open front to rear and see what is behind us on the road. 
    My old Class A had a big window in back and it was super useful for that..

If I had a 400 I'd do that
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    @jbwander I have a 2017 Nissan Frontier, 4x4 V6 with tow pkg--love it.  Plenty of power.  Seats are really comfy and thousands less than a Taco.   I needed a good tow vehicle for a reasonable price that would still allow me to get a Tab.   Live in Colorado, so yes, we have mountains, not rolling hills.  Tows great.  I turn off the overdrive and the vehicle finds whatever gear it needs to be in without shifting in & out!
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • DaveandthedogDaveandthedog Member Posts: 3
    Hello all, BRAND NEW member here, so be gentle, this is my first time.  I am looking at the 400 Boondock.  Does anyone out there on the interweb tow a 400 with a Jeep JL Unlimited with factory tow package?  
    Ive read a ton of opinions and recommendations in regards to the ability or lack of ability or you can “if”.  What I haven’t seen or heard is real world application.  So, anyone? Anyone?  Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We tow our T@B with a Highlander and it does well, but if I had to do it again I’d go with a 4Runner. More cargo space and it comes with a hitch and 7way connector, which we had to add to our Highlander.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    Photomom said:
    We tow our T@B with a Highlander and it does well, but if I had to do it again I’d go with a 4Runner. More cargo space and it comes with a hitch and 7way connector, which we had to add to our Highlander.
    I did not believe you until I checked, but indeed, the 4 Runner does have more cargo space (5 or 6 cu.ft difference).
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @Daveandthedog Sorry for not having “real world” experience with the JL, but if what I just looked up is true, I would think the JL is woefully under what you’d need for the 400. It says the 4-Door JL with tow package has a towing capacity of only 3500lbs max.  Even if it’s just you and the dog, no gear, no water, nothing else in the tow vehicle, you’d probably still be asking more than you should from your vehicle, both in terms of towing capacity and hitch weight. Likely you “can” pull it (get it moving down the road in generally the right direction) but I’d doubt you can pull it well, or even more importantly, safely.  You’d be better suited with the 320 I’d think.  
    Ok, that is just my opinion, but it’s shared by most others, I’d expect.   If you’re not at least in the 4500-5000+ lb range with your TV, pulling a 400 might put yourself and those of us who share the road with you at risk.  
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    rkj__ said:
    Photomom said:
    I did not believe you until I checked, but indeed, the 4 Runner does have more cargo space (5 or 6 cu.ft difference).
    The Highlander is primarily a passenger vehicle and at least in our market comes with a third row seat that takes up space but is worthless for anything other than very small children.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
    edited June 2019
    Hello all, BRAND NEW member here, so be gentle, this is my first time.  I am looking at the 400 Boondock.  Does anyone out there on the interweb tow a 400 with a Jeep JL Unlimited with factory tow package?  
    Ive read a ton of opinions and recommendations in regards to the ability or lack of ability or you can “if”.  What I haven’t seen or heard is real world application.  So, anyone? Anyone?  Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.
    I don't have any Wrangler experience myself either, but at a glance, you would be exceeding the JL's tongue weight rating.  I will never recommend you exceed a vehicles rating, but the Wrangler is a pretty stout vehicle, so I would not necessarily be afraid of towing at it's max rating of 3,500 lb, if the tongue weight did not exceed 350 lb. 

Your question brings to mind a post on Expedition Portal, where somebody was towing around 5,000 lb with a JLU Rubicon.  It did not explode, but within a year, he upgraded to a Gladiator, which has much higher ratings, as he wanted to be able to pack more gear and bikes. 

Happy reading...

JLUR

Gladiator Rubicon