Options

Tacoma or ?

R&BR&B Member Posts: 16
We recently upgraded from CS to a 400, pulling with a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport.  Milage has dropped from about 12 - 13 MPG when pulling the CS to 9 or 10 MPG and I'm wondering if this is the experience others have had and what others are experiencing with other tow vehicles.  Right now I am considering a Honda Ridgeline and someone recommended a RAM 1500.  I appreciate any thoughts and input others would have.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I get 9 mpg to 12 mpg  on my 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4, towing a 2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite. I did get 14 mpg with a 25 mph tail wind.....

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 540
    edited June 2019
    I have a 2013 Tundra 5.7l TRD off road towing a 400 and I generally average 11-12mpg on a trip. Currently on a long trip cross country (in Banff now) and my average is 12.3 after 5700 miles but that includes excursion trips when disconnected. This trip included many high passes through Big Horns,Yellowstone, Teton Pass, Northern Cascades and now to Glacier NP. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    Toyota Highlander here towing a 320. I get 13-16.6 mpg depending on head or tailwinds. I’m not really a truck person at this stage but a good 6cyl  4wd works well here.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    I have 2019 Tacoma TRD OffRoad manual transmission.  So far, in my limited 500 miles of towing I’ve gotten ~12.5 MPG.  As high as 15 and as low as 9.8 (according to the computer). 

I do live in Seattle and I’ve taken our Tab over 4 Cascade mountain passes so far, so I’m relatively happy with the MPG.

I will say the OffRoad has a much ‘squisher’ rear springs than the SR/SR5.  I think this makes it much more tail happy without the anti-sway bars.  There’s a massive difference driving it with and without the WDH/anti sway; even though my dealer told me ‘no way you need that’.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA
  • Options
    tphaggertytphaggerty Member Posts: 48
    Just bought a Ridgeline to replace our very old Sienna towing a 400. Get about 12 to 13 towing. Absolutely love the RL. Rides like a limo, quiet and very comfortable. Tows great. Several annoyances, but that is true of any vehicle. BTW, the trunk in the bed is Awesome!
    2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL TV
    2018 T@B 400, 300Ah Renogy LiFePo batteries, 350W Renogy rooftop solar
    Poughquag, NY
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    R&B said:
    We recently upgraded from CS to a 400, pulling with a 2016 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport.  Milage has dropped from about 12 - 13 MPG when pulling the CS to 9 or 10 MPG and I'm wondering if this is the experience others have had and what others are experiencing with other tow vehicles.  Right now I am considering a Honda Ridgeline and someone recommended a RAM 1500.  I appreciate any thoughts and input others would have.
    If you get the 1500 I highly recommend the ecodiesel; you’ll get measurably better fuel economy then with the hdmi... I had the ecodiesel in my Jeep GC, and loved it. Though I have a 320s, I got 20 mpg towing, just to give you an idea...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DanManzDanManz Member Posts: 79
    2010 Tacoma 4WD with 6 cyl and automatic transmission pulling a 2019 400 BDL.  I get about 12.5 towing and nearly 20 mpg pulling nothing.  I love the truck and it seems like the mileage hit is just part of the game.
    Dan and Liz    2019 TAB 400 BDL    2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4WD TRD Sport
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited June 2019
    R&B said:
    Why are you considering a new/different vehicle?  Is it only for better fuel economy, or for other reasons?

In most scenarios, when buying and selling a vehicle, you lose a fair bit of money to taxes, dealer profits, licensing fees, etc.  That money is sometimes used just as effectively to fill the tank of your thirsty vehicle.  You also need to consider the fuel economy when not towing, when evaluating your costs.

That said, towing with a full size pickup is a dream.  With most engine choices, you will get equal, or better MPG when towing, when compared to a midsize vehicle.  Also, you get a fuel tank that is 24gal minimum, with several brands offering 30+ gal tanks as an option, which gives excellent range.  Wider bodies, and OEM towing mirrors are great for seeing around your trailer.  Integrated brake controllers are available, so you can avoid chunky aftermarket units.  Also, the interior space makes for comfortable road trips.  With a big bed, you can bring all the glamping goodies you want, like full size BBQ, patio lounge chairs, bikes, you name it!

I love my Sierra for camping trips. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I love my Tacoma.  I had three previous ones.  I ran a company with 37 of them.  We towed trailers everyday with them.  I won't own anything else.  Unless.......  I need to tow something bigger than my 320S Boondock.  Tacomas are NOT designed as primary tow vehicles, even though they might be rated for it.  Mileage will significantly fall off.  Automatic transmissions will constantly "search" for a happy gear.  And most will need a trans cooler if not factory equipped.  If I had any bigger trailer I would be pulling with a F150 Ecoboast or for a bigger trailer F2/350 Powerstroke.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    My Chevy Colorado (2016, 6 cyl  gasoline engine) gets around 12 MPG towing my 320 S Boondock Edge... when I'm not towing I can get 25 .. I'm told this is about normal. If I am nice to it I can get maybe 14 MPG towing if I keep the lead foot at bay.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    R&BR&B Member Posts: 16
    I love my Tacoma too, this is my second one.  The reduced milage was tolerable when pulling the CS and would be with the 400 BDL for normal use but we are planning to travel for a solid year or more, post retirement and the thought of needing to fill up every 150 miles or so certainly makes one stop and think.  i appreciate everyones comments.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I suppose you're right @R&B. Short range.

Through the plains, we averaged 15-17 mpg unless we had a headwind, then it was @ 13-15. I think it was the same in the mountains, but I've lost track now. 

With an 18 gallon tank, that would be a max of around 270 miles, so I probably started looking to refill at about 175 miles.

What size gas tanks & range do other folks have?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    R&B said:
    We tow with a Chevy Silverado, 16-18 mpg towing, 20-22 empty. Lots of room and very comfortable ride. 26 gallon tank so we can cruise the two lane roads w/o worry.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    R2DTabR2DTab Member Posts: 5
    I tow with a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road, I get 16 mpg without the trailer (dropped from 18 when I got a 3" lift).  Just drove 2,400 miles with the T@B and I was averaging 11 mpg when driving on highways.  At slower speeds on mountain roads I squeezed 14 mpg, but the taco was thirsty at 70 mph through WY and MT.

Caught a nice tailwind on I80 in WY yesterday and I was getting 13 mpg.
    2018 T@B Boondock 320S
    Brought to places by a 2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road

• Options
    Spectre9Spectre9 Member Posts: 39
    I’ve been happy with our 2014 Tacoma SR5 v6 with factory tow package.  We are traveling at avg 65mph (tires are 75mph rated) with a tab 320s Boondock and get about 10-12 mpg on average including some mountains.  

Going 55mph will have a much bigger effect on mileage than a different tow vehicle as the wind resistance is what you are generally spending gas on.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    At highway speeds a topper, especially a "high rise" definitely helps the mileage.  I don't have my numbers before topper, only remember the gas stop frequency difference.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    R&B said:
    We tow with a Chevy Silverado, 16-18 mpg towing, 20-22 empty. Lots of room and very comfortable ride. 26 gallon tank so we can cruise the two lane roads w/o worry.
    I assume that 16-18 mpg is with the T@b 320 listed in your signature, correct? 

I just wanted to point out that this thread is discussing towing the T@b 400.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    2016 4Runner at 12mpg here, and although it is adequate, if I were motoring for a year I'd move to a Tundra.
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • Options
    ArizonayetiArizonayeti Member Posts: 26
    2018 4Runner towing a 2020 Tab 400 I averaged 14+ heading from Phoenix to northern AZ and back this past weekend.  Rarely did over 70mph, and I had a headwind heading back down from elevation.  Some of the steep hills it was only able to hold 50mph in 3rd gear but if you floored it, 2nd gear would kick in and it would accelerate quite impressively.  It definitely has some power at 4-5k rpms. Now, I have the old bombproof 4.0 and I believe you have the new 3.5.  If you really like your Taco, I wouldn't give up on it as a tow vehicle.  Just know it's limitations and keep your speed down a bit.  No reason to be in a hurry towing.  The Ridgeline is likely comparable engine wise and is definitely more comfortable, but don't expect it to tow any better.  Just my thoughts. 
    2020 T@B 400 BL w/solar.  TV 2018 4Runner w/ Fox 2" lift. 
  • Options
    JamesCJamesC Member Posts: 62
    2012 Tacoma TRD Off-road and have towed my 400 for about 600 miles since getting it in March. Really don’t care about mileage while towing, it’s going to be abysmal with just about anything. I did put on a set of Timbren bump stops and they made the suspension feel less “squishy” as someone else mentioned. Over all I’m pleased with how my set up is working. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2015 F150 tow vehicle. 
  • Options
    SprocketheadSprockethead Member Posts: 12
    My 2016 4Runner tows my 320 Boondock "OK". It usually gets 10 - 12 MPG at 65 to 70 MPH. It's very stable at high speed and side winds... If I hit a Headwind, or Wind Driven Rain, it works very hard to keep 60 mph, and gets as low as 8 MPG... I kinda wish I had a V8, but I really like my 4Runner, especially the Reliability!
    2019 T@B 320S Boondock Edge, Factory 133 watt solar, 215ah AGM
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    edited October 2019
    R&B said:
    This summer I did a 2600 mile trip from Tampa to the Mountains of WV. Drove up and down 6-9 % grade roads up there and also a few hundred miles on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. The rest was mostly highway at 65 mph. My Chevy Colorado Duramax diesel towed like a dream without sway/distribution help. I averaged 16 mpg for the entire trip. 7000+ lbs tow capacity so the 400 barely fazes the truck. Take a serious look at the truck. The torque is phenomenal!
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    If you want to keep the Taco you might consider adding a supercharger to it. You can expect a significant horsepower boost. More horsepower will make towing less of an effort for the truck. That should improve gas mileage. The TRD superchargers are pricey but they they will not affect the drivetrain warranty if Toyota installs it. They are not cheap but it could save the depreciation loss you can expect if you buy a new vehicle.
    That said, if you calculate the actual cost of the loss of a few MPG when you are towing and compare that to the expense of a new vehicle you might decide it's simply not worth worrying about.
  • Options
    tabiphile said:
    If you want to keep the Taco you might consider adding a supercharger to it. You can expect a significant horsepower boost. More horsepower will make towing less of an effort for the truck. That should improve gas mileage. The TRD superchargers are pricey but they they will not affect the drivetrain warranty if Toyota installs it. They are not cheap but it could save the depreciation loss you can expect if you buy a new vehicle.
    That said, if you calculate the actual cost of the loss of a few MPG when you are towing and compare that to the expense of a new vehicle you might decide it's simply not worth worrying about.
    Not for the faint of heart....4-5000.00 plus cost of install....
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    I second @ecyfoto, and @4ncar experience. With TowHaul there is no need for any TV upgrades. 30+ MPG when not towing is a plus.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    I second @ecyfoto, and @4ncar experience. With TowHaul there is no need for any TV upgrades. 30+ MPG when not towing is a plus.
    I drove to Boston & back, 1000 mile round trip w/out the tab & got 37 average!😅. I generally get 20 average with the tab(320s outback)
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @4ncar is that Chevy diesel?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    ChanW, The Chevy Colorado Duramax is a 2.8 L turbo diesel, with intercooler, engine exhaust brake, 365 LB/FT of torque, 140 Amp alternator, and TowHaul mode with integrated trailer brake controller and transmission cooler. The transmission/axle ratio is well matched for towing to 65 MPH  This truck is very well engineered for towing and it even has hill descent control for the mountains. I looked hard at the TACO before choosing the Duramax and continue to be very satisfied. There is plenty of storage in the Crew Cab back seat and under the roll-back Toneau cover. I added the Echomaster Intellihaul Integrated Towing Assistance Package for side view cameras and rear of trailer wireless remote camera that are integrated with the 8" infotainment system.

@4ncar is right about the mileage.
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    @4ncar is that Chevy diesel?
    Yes
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    1968Healey1968Healey Member Posts: 64
    Following up on our post from June, I would agree with the diesel owners - they're just better.

The Tacoma will perform adequately for towing on flat ground (aka east of the rockies; but once you get into the mountains you'll be wanting more power.  

We've used our Tacoma to tow across the Cascades 15+ times now and the Canadian Rockies twice and even though our truck is only 1 year old, we're going to trade it in for a diesel.

Between the mileage (eh), the towing experience (under powered on any long incline) and the fuel range (horrific - 150 miles between fill ups, 200 AT MOST), the Tacoma just doesn't cut it for long range adventures, especially ones that take you off grid.

Summary:
    Tacoma great for flat lands near gas stations.
    Diesel better.
    2020 T@B 400
    2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Seattle, WA