Shopping Insurance

GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
edited April 2022 in Trailer & Towing
It's insurance time.  My vehicles are with USAA, home with Citizens.  USAA doesn't cover RV's and sent me to Progressive.  I was quoted $358/yr on a residual (full comp) policy which seems way high to me.  Any sugestions where to head?  
2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
Odessa, Fl.  

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    USAA doesn't cover Motor Homes (self propelled RV's) but the do cover travel trailers (such as towed campers).  Call them back and ensure they understand that you are wanting to insure a travel trailer.  I had the same issue until I spoke with a better informed person.
    Also, have them give you a quote for your home insurance--and any other insurance you carry.  I'll bet you will save some money.
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    edited July 2019
    Thanks falcon1970,  I'll give them a call in the am.  Maybe dayshift is more informed.  I've tried multiple times for home insurance, but they don't insure in Florida.  They sent me down a chain, through about 5/6 underwriters.
    Odessa, Fl.  

falcon1970,  Need a little help.  I contacted USAA and spoke to multiple people on insurance.  USAA does not insure RVs.  They underwrite through Progressive.  Please provide me a contact or "special" phone number for the USAA T@B insurance.  Thanks much.
    Odessa, Fl.  

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    GatorEgg said:
    It's insurance time.  My vehicles are with USAA, home with Citizens.  USAA doesn't cover RV's and sent me to Progressive.  I was quoted $358/yr on a residual (full comp) policy which seems way high to me.  Any sugestions where to head?  
    What state are you in, and what model and year were you quoting?  I tried Progressive yesterday for a quote on a Tennessee resident 2020 model 400 that’s being built now, and the quote I got back was double your quote for a full replacement policy with $1,000 deductibles.
    @GatorEgg
    Call USAA's main number (800-531-8111).  When the voice menu comes on ask for "Home Insurance."  When you get a representative on line ask for insurance on a "travel trailer" NOT RV insurance.  Don't even say the words RV or Recreational Vehicle.
    edited July 2019

What state are you in, and what model and year were you quoting?  I tried Progressive yesterday for a quote on a Tennessee resident 2020 model 400 that’s being built now, and the quote I got back was double your quote for a full replacement policy with $1,000 deductibles.

Thank you, falcon1970.  Wow, what an ordeal! Three USAA representatives and 45 minutes later I have trailer insurance at half the cost of what Progressive quoted.
       TNOutback - I'm Florida resident, full coverage, 2018 T@B Boondock  

Odessa, Fl.  

@GatorEgg
    Well, in any case I'm glad it finally worked out.  I am surprised it was so difficult, though.
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thank you, @falcon1970, for the tip on going through USAA.  As an Army retiree, we've always had USAA for all our insurance, and have always received great service at great prices.  However, when we got our T@b 2 yrs ago, USAA told me they only offered insurance through Progressive, which is what we've had the last two years.

Today, when I called USAA to inquire about adding towing coverage for our T@B, they said it was only available if the trailer is also insured with USAA.  When I asked if USAA would insure our travel trailer (because of being directed to Progressive 2 yrs ago), he said they would if we had cars already insured with USAA, but not for a standalone RV. 

I don't know where the confusion lies, or if there was a change in policy or misunderstanding, but I am now happy to have a new USAA policy replacing the Progressive one.  Progressive will refund $177 of our $200+ policy that just renewed 2 weeks ago, and our USAA vehicles policy premium will only increase by $70/yr, which will include towing for the T@b (and another trailer), along with collision & liability. 

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
    I'm with Hartford via AARP, and just today paid my $31 annual premium on my 2018 320-cs, and that is for comprehensive and collision, full replacement value (25k), with a 1k deductible.

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    We are extremely happy with Geico and because ours was bought new, we have 5 year full replacement.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    ColleenD2 said:
    We are extremely happy with Geico and because ours was bought new, we have 5 year full replacement.
    Interesting, I called Geico yesterday for a quote on my new T@b and they said they don't offer full replacement insurance.  Ended up going with Progressive because they did.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
  • T_BDancingT_BDancing Member Posts: 85
    Will be picking up a Tab 320 BD Edge soon so since I have Geico policy for my cars, for 'convenience' the Tab has joined in.
    For Geico in my case, the replacement is $5000 for the belongings, no replacement coverage for the trailer. $310 annually with $500 deductible.
    @ecstatic, may I ask how much does Progressive asks for. Thank you.

Tent to trailer w/TV: 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude 3.6L
    2019 Tab 320 S Boondock Edge and get me out of NYC!!!
  • ecstaticecstatic Member Posts: 65
    @T_BDancing We were quoted $354 per year for our 2020 400 BDL.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL    2019 Silverado 5.3L V8
    Chili, NY
    Thank you, @ecstatic. Rate would be slightly less for the 320S. But if it covers trailer replacement, make sense to go with Progressive...
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Your location, your age, your driving record and so on determine what you pay, what I pay has little relevance to what you may pay.

Almost always cheaper to bundle the RV with auto, home and whatever else you can.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    Thought it through after reading your post, @N7SHG_Ham. Makes sense so staying with Geico for now. Thanks.