Entry Door (manual) Lock Change

When purchasing my T@B someone at the dealership made a point of letting me know the baggage door lock/key was universal; nearly any other baggage key would open.

Recently I've learned that all the T@B entry door keys are the same. FaceBook postings have also commented that getting the standard Global Link locks re-keyed is a pain that requires a dealer or locksmith that has a Global Link master key.

For the Entry Door, I trust other T@B owners to be good people but do wonder about some bad person knowing all they need to do is buy a key on Amazon and they can open most NüCamp products.

So for peace of mind I've replaced both the Entry Door and Baggage Door with new keyed the same manual locks from RVLock;; manual locks are only $45 or so with shipping and look nearly identical to the original Global Link.

Main differences are [1] Global Link is cast metal while RVLock is mostly plastic - - - which was a surprise - - - and [2] RVLock uses around 100 different key/lock sets in the locks they sell/ship so the bad guy now needs a RVLock key and there is only a 1/100 chance it will open anything. That seems pretty good for $45 and I don't have the cost of a keyless lock with batteries to replace, code to remember, or key fob to misplace.

Completed installation of the locks shortly after they arrived today.

Only concern is the plastic inside pull-to-close handle. Just like when the TaB was new closing the door takes some effort - - - guess the lock needs to wear in - - - so hopefully the inside handle will hold up as I return to two hand slamming the door to get it to latch.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+

Comments