Honda Odyssey Towing Question

McMullapMcMullap Member Posts: 24
edited July 2019 in Trailer & Towing
I’ve been tent camping for years but since having a family, that has slowed down. My wife has agreed to a camper and I’ve focused on a T@B S. Our family of 4 (4 and 2 years old) frequently take trips in our 2017 Odyssey. Im told to never approach the tow rating. Would I have any trouble towing our family, luggage and a T@B?  Intend on traveling mostly flat trips within 250 miles. Thanks, Andy

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We tow with a Toyota Sienna - just 2 adults and gear - no problems!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • McMullapMcMullap Member Posts: 24
    Sharon_is_SAM Thank you! Is your TV also rated at 3,500#? Thanks!
    pthomas745 - Thank you. I’ve read those but they mostly deal with older Odyssey’s. Older Odyssey’s also seem to have problems with both the transmission and brakes. While I know it can “legally,” is it safe with a wife and two small children?
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    You are thinking in the right way.  Every model and year of a vehicle will have different reviews and towing capabilities......
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @McMullap, yes our tow capacity is 3500#.  
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    McMullap said:
    . . .  take trips in our 2017 Odyssey. Im told to never approach the tow rating.
    . . .  Intend on traveling mostly flat trips within 250 miles. Thanks, Andy

My Two Cents - - - if even worth that ;)

Let's look at some worse case numbers.
    First, factory towing capacity:

So you don't have 3,500# capacity; 2 Adults and 2 small children = 3 Adults. If you also have a large dog or Grandma comes along you're at or above 4 Adults . . . . Tow capacity at sea-level is 3,200#

Next tow capacity is derated based on altitude at 3% loss per 1,000 feet

If your hometown and primary camping areas are around 2,000 Ft elevation your towing capacity nearly equals the maximum 320S weight (GVWR)

At 2,000 feet elevation you will be towing ~ 2,355 pound . . . . 78% of maximum rating

Suggest you do the above type of analysis for your situation and then decide what % of margin is comfortable for you. Personally, I'm more comfortable towing at 70% or less (lower better) of TV maximum towing capacity or "a margin" of 30% or more.

Don't Forget:
    Honda OM says you need the factory tow package or at least a Transmission Cooler to achieve the maximum ,3500# rating. They also state on page 402, that Honda does not recommend WDH (most T@B's don't need it) but keep that in mind.

= = =

In general Honda has useful towing information in their owners manuals which is true for the Odyssey as well. Compared to a Ridgeline there is not nearly as much information so it could be safe to assume Honda does not consider the Odyssey as a towing platform . . . it can tow but that was not a primary design criteria.

If you decide the Odyssey is OK for your situation go for it. If the future brings greater distance and longer duration trips a different tow vehicle would most likely serve you better.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    @MuttonChops - Thank you for the detailed information. I was also looking for comfort level, or Margin as you mention. Technically I know that the TV towing capacity is covered. I’m worried about the safety of the passengers and of the TV, and ensuring that it will last for years to come. Your analysis is spot on. I guess I need to figure out if I’m comfortable allowing only 20% of room between the TV rating and the fully loaded T@B. What do others think? Safe?
    Thanks, Andy
    I know Odyssey’s have a history of transmission problems.  If you plan on keeping that vehicle forever, I would not risk the wear and tear.  
  • gooseladygooselady Member Posts: 177
    I happily tow with my Honda Odyssey.  I added the tranny cooler, hitch, and brake controller.  I regularly tow various items including the T@B, a small horse trailer (1800#), and a flat bed trailer.  It is a 2014 model and has 175M miles on it.  I've not had any transmission problems, though I have read about problems with the pre-2010 models.  Unfortunately, the new models (2018+) have a lower tow rating of 3000#, so when I go to replace my minivan, I will most likely turn to the Chrysler Pacifica, which is rated at 3600#.  I think the T@B/minivan is a great combination, both in cargo capacity ( I carry several dogs) and towing flexibility, as I can maneuver in tight places.
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @McMullap We tow with a '12 Odyssey, actually performs better than our '06 Pathfinder. Very comfortable seats/ride, better mileage both towing and single, much more cargo room. The transmission issues are pre-'10 history as @gooselady said. The most important issue is to add a transmission cooler. Our T@B is '04 with surge brakes so no brake controller needed. We are in Virginia so most of our towing is in the eastern mountains, lots of up and down grades.
    I believe you will be very happy with T@B-Odyssey combination. . .
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
    Thank you @Geo. Appreciate the feedback. 
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    @McMullap ;  Do keep in mind that @Geo has yr-2004 model and you are interested in a newer 320S version.  A Typical 320S is heavier and has higher tongue weight than a yr-2004 T@B; which will make a big difference in how the Odessey does towing.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Whirled_DreamerWhirled_Dreamer Member Posts: 8
    Hello - I am new to the forum.  My wife and I are looking at purchasing a 2018 Tab 320 S Boondock and would like to tow it with a Toyota Sienna Van.  I see that Sharon_is_Sam has the Sienna Van and I'm wondering what, if any, modifications you made to your van.  All input is deeply appreciated.
    2018 Tab 320 S / 2001 GMC Jimmy / West Sacramento, CA
    @Whirled_Dreamer - No real modifications except we added some rear spring air bags just to offset a little squat.  We have a large AGM battery and we have a sewer hose holder mounted to the TaB frame.  Including the propane tank, we manage to keep our tongue weight at 250 or less.  We carry the TaB spare in the boot of the driver side third row seat.  We elect to limit our speed - right around 62 mph in 5th gear usually.  The Sienna has been a very comfy, reliable ride.  We have taken it west to Utah and it did fine through the Denver Rt 70 passes - probably our highest elevation.  We are traveling west again this year and we will give it a bigger test.  We have a Drawtight hitch that works well.  Just make sure they mount the 7 pin connection facing toward the TaB if possible.  Ours is directed toward the hitch and is difficult to attach.  We remove the second row seats for larger trips.  Just easier to retrieve items from the cabin.  We get 12-14 mph depending on direction of travel and terrain.