Options

No black tank - crazy idea or brilliant mod?

Okay, we are taking our trailer back home later this summer so Austin’s crew can fix some plumbing leaks and combine our dump valves into one. I expect that they will have to remove the toilet and shower pan.

It has occurred to me that it might be possible for them to just remove the black tank and drain entirely and replace the toilet with a portable cassette toilet. Truth be told, we have never used the black tank for solid waste anyway and we often use double doodie bags. I’ve always felt that I’d prefer a cassette toilet to the flushable one and black tank.

How crazy is this? Would anyone else buy the trailer when we sell it?
John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York

Comments

• Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    @Photomom I don't think it's crazy idea, I'd rather have cassette toilet, so many more options where to dump it and keeping it clean. Cassette toilet should be a T@B option.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Can you leave the black tank in place and simply switch out the existing toiler for a cassette?  This way a potential purchaser would have two choices of toilet configurations.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    I’d prefer a cassette as well. No idea how viable it is, but had it been an option on order, I would have at least considered it. I don’t think it would harm resale too much, if at all.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I agree with Tabaz.  Just have them cover the black tank entry and install the cassette.  Easy for a new owner to undo.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    The SeeLevel monitor for the black tank stopped working or was damaged when we had the leak issue so if we keep the black tank it will need to be replaced. Hence my though to just pull the whole black tank setup out of there and never have to worry about it again. But the simplest thing is indeed to remove the toilet and set a portable cassette toilet there. I can do that part.
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I believe the black tank is directly under the toilet (but above the cabin floor).  The shower pan floor is between the toilet bottom and the black tank.  I would imagine that some type of bracing would be needed to keep the shower floor under the toilet from sagging if the black tank is removed. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Sorry, I wouldn’t buy it.  Not that it’s a bad idea.  I like the idea.  Wish new trailers came that way.  Nothing on your skills, I don’t know them.  It’s just most people just really don’t have fabrication skills, so I stay away from mod’d things or pay really lowball prices for them.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    GatorEgg said:
    Sorry, I wouldn’t buy it.  Not that it’s a bad idea.  I like the idea.  Wish new trailers came that way.  Nothing on your skills, I don’t know them.  It’s just most people just really don’t have fabrication skills, so I stay away from mod’d things or pay really lowball prices for them.
    Well, I’ve modded the heck out of my trailer, but in this case I was thinking of asking Austin about it.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I would actually prefer a cassette toilet over the black tank.  These trailers are so well outfitted for boondocking, except for the toilet.  A cassette would allow much more freedom on camping locations without the worry of having to find a dump station.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Actually, you could return the toilet to it’s original form and a buyer would not know the difference.  Just make sure the seal is intact.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio