Options

Off-roading with the T@B

This discussion was created from comments split from: Lock & Roll Hitch & coupler.

Comments

• Options
    CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    edited July 2019
    Tabaz said:
    I try to plan a fill at the nearest location to the campsite.  8.34 pounds per gallon adds up fairly fast.  Happily, those water vending machines will accept a 5 gallon Jerry Can for a reasonable price of $1.25 - and their water actually taste good.  On another topic, it seems there are several forum members interested in more robust off-roading - I refrain from using "extreme" or "overland" in deference to those who truly push the envelope.  Perhaps a separate discussion topic heading may be in order?  I'll leave that up to the moderators.
    Odd, but in my other worlds: you-tube and the Jeep Cherokee forum "overland" is a term for moderate off roading on longer trails like Mojave road (about 3 days over 118 miles) which I've done sleeping in a tent each night. Extreme 4x4 trails are rock crawlers that could only be successfully wheeled in highly modified Jeeps (35"to 40" tires etc..)

Overland:

A moderate trail in the off-roading world:

After Lippincott, I got a rear locking diff.  I've seen only two true off - road trailers on trails. One was a Smitty-built with a collapsible tent on top and the other a Little Guy Rough Rider. We decided that if we we going to  pull a trailer we weren't going to end up sleeping in a tent or in a trailer smaller then our backpacking tent. That's how we got here. 

An "easy" trail:

We sometimes stay in devolved camp-sites but I've never seen a water vending machine in one. We're fortunate to live in Northern CA where the water was snow just a few days ago. But not having to port water is always a good option.     

1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle