Options

Indoor v. Outdoor Kitchen

Hello, everyone - 

Soon-to-be T@B 320 owner here if everything goes as planned, and brand new to the community and this forum.

I've found a couple of past threads on the advantages/disadvantages of the outdoor kitchen, but nothing very recent and nothing with a lot of discussion, so I thought I'd ask anew. 

In a nutshell, it looks like the man advantages of the clamshell are some additional indoor storage and counter space where the indoor kitchen would be, more kitchen cabinet storage, and the ability to keep cooking odors out of the camper. 

The biggest potential disadvantage would seem to be having to go outside to cook (or even to access the fridge) which might be an inconvenience in inclement weather. 

To me, it doesn't *sound* like a huge deal to have to go outdoors for anything kitchen-related, but I'd love to hear some real world feedback from clamshell owners. 

Also, has anyone with the indoor kitchen regretted *not* getting the clamshell, or have any clamshell owners regretting going that route? 

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jim
Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package

Comments

• Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I have a T@B 400, so cooking facilities are inside. If I want to cook outside, I carry a roll-top table, portable grill, and a small Coleman burner. If I need to cook indoors, I can very comfortably. Keep in mind that some places, like Harvest Host for example, don't allow outdoor cooking so there are advantages to having indoor kitchens other than weather. 
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    it's nice to get up in the morning and make coffee, before having to put on clothes. 
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    The bed in the non-clamshell models is bigger, effectively allowing two people to sleep front-to-back and eliminating the need to crawl over one another to get in or out. That's a key selling point for me. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    If it’s too hot, cold or wet outside, we cook indoors, otherwise we cook outdoors on our camp stove. We like having the option. My guess is most folks with the indoor kitchen do carry the extra camp stove and camp table to enable them to do so. @morey000 it is to laugh! I get up with the sun, dress to the lowest possible level of decency, and prepare coffee outside so as to let DH sleep in. I love sipping that coffee in the quiet of the morning campground.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    One of my main considerations in deciding to go with the indoor T@B kitchen was Mosquitoes. Where I live they can literally demolish your outdoor experience, particularly in evening when I'd likely be cooking. The other reason is when you get those multi-day stretches of rain. It'll be nice not to have to go outside to cook. Otherwise, I plan (yes I'm new too) to hook my little propane camp stove up outside on the shelf to enjoy the outdoors to the max and to minimize indoor food odors, smoke etc..  Coffee inside, yes!  I accept giving some storage but I can work around that issue.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Roger that. We cook outdoors primarily on a grill and camp stove. Except, I usually roll out of bed second, and--like morey000--get the coffee going inside before concerning myself with decency.  ;-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    The indoor kitchen models get better gas mileage. ;)
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    JohnDanielsCPAJohnDanielsCPA Member Posts: 238
    I’ve owned my T@B 320S for almost three years, and I JUST bought a Eureka stove.  The inside stove is nice, but if you are going to cook something greasy, I would just rather cook outside than inside.  Plus the new stove gives me four burners to cook on.  I do prefer the indoor kitchen for what has been mentioned; morning coffee inside, inclement weather situations, overnighters where “camping” is not permitted (which would include cooking outdoors), etc.  Having an indoor kitchen does take up some space, but you also get flexibility of cooking indoors or outdoors.  A clamshell doesn’t give you that option.  What we did to maximize space is we removed the ineffective refrigerator and converted the space into drawers. That extra storage is invaluable.  We then bought an ARB and keep it in the back of the Jeep.  The ARB is much more reliable than what the refrigerator was, and it sips energy, so we never have to worry about draining our battery (using a combination of hookups, solar, or running off the Jeep battery when we are in transit).  And as for the bed; I am 6’ and my wife is 5’8”, so having the longer bed is important as well.
    2022 T@B 400 BD
    2019 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with Long Bed
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    We just recently bought one with the indoor kitchen.  Since I have all sorts of camping equipment from tent camping, I will bring my outdoor propane stove and most likely use it most of the time, especially if cooking something that might smoke or be greasy.  But if weather conditions turn bad, I've got the inside stove.  Either way..it will be FUN!!!

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    I think many members make their choice on bed size to start.  The CS sleeps wheel to wheel, so if 2 people sleep in that bed, it is best if they are no taller than 5’10”.  The other is that the S model allows conversion to 2 single beds which lets someone get up without crawling over the other.  

Beyond that, it is personal preference.  We camp to be outside, so it is not a problem to put clothes on to go heat up the water for AM coffee.  We recently purchased an electric kettle to use with full hook ups and if we want to prepare coffee inside.  

We don’t camp in cold conditions typically, so that does not factor into the outside galley comfort.  And we are equipped for rain with a side tent and either a canopy or Hasika over the galley - so we are well protected.  The side tent lets us eat/hang out in a protected area without having to break down the bed daily.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    We started with. LG six wide and were convinced we would get a CS T@B

But we decided to go with a U model and inside kitchen and have no regrets 

Cook outside 90% of the time but for the 10% when we want to use the indoor kitchen it has been awesome

If you believe you will need to cook indoors sometimes the choice seems simple
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    I have a Clamshell. 
    Beyond what others have said, here are some other considerations:
    The inside kitchen is better if you're moochdocking (staying in a friend's driveway) or stopping in parking lots enroute. Also, Harvest Host technically does not accept clamshells.
    The outside kitchen is better if you're sharing a campsite with your tent-camping friends.

It really depends how you think that you'll be using your camper.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Learned at uCamp 2019 that Harvest Host will accept a CSS.  You just can’t actually use the galley to cook.  So, sometimes they have meals to offer, or you can go out to eat.  You can access the galley, just can’t cook.
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    We upgraded from a tent and really wanted to cook outside - part of the “camping” experience for us, both alone and with the larger group.  The CS-S also seems to have more organization possibilities - I like the larger kitchen space spanning the whole width of the trailer, more prep room on the counter and more cabinet space.  We also really like the storage space of the drawers and cabinets in the front of the trailer for clothes and gear.  We use the pass through cabinets for snacks :)  So, for us, no regrets on the clamshell and would buy it again!  Like @Sharon_is_SAM, we did just buy a little electric kettle for indoors coffee when we have full hookups.
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    Learned at uCamp 2019 that Harvest Host will accept a CSS.  You just can’t actually use the galley to cook.  So, sometimes they have meals to offer, or you can go out to eat.  You can access the galley, just can’t cook.
    Has anyone confirmed this with HH? This would be policy change for them. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    One of the presenters on the Women Solo Camping panel verified it with HH.
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    Nine years with our CS and we wouldn't have it any other way.  We use our kitchen extensively preparing fresh food daily much like home.  We do not carry an extra stove/kitchen.  Our galley is always set up and ready to go.  While traveling we open it and use it almost anywhere, anytime for sandwiches, salads and fruit.  We don't see it any different than opening our SUV hatch.
    And......
    Our bedroom is a completely different space and also always set up.  Towels, clothes, bedding, electronics etc. are never in the way of cooking.  The food mess and smells are all out back. 
    We rarely set up the table unless conditions keep us shut in.  It's a quick switch but seldom needed.   At those times, we eat out or bring back take out.  Toaster, coffee maker, muffins and cookies are in the pass thru. 
    There is nothing else in this little trailers size category with an outside kitchen.  Nothing!
    Everyone has different desires and priorities.  That's why there are so many choices.  Have fun figuring out what fits you best.

• Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    edited July 2019
    My sincere thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this - so much great experience and insight within just a day of asking. That says a lot about this forum and the T@B community as well, which, if I'm honest, is a significant draw to the brand. :-) 

One other question: The NuCamp site shows the TV in the outdoor galley in the CS and CS-S models, but I can't discern whether there's a second TV inside, or if the one in the clamshell can be moved to the inside? 

Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    I see a TV on the floor plan and in the photos of the CS-S. I don't see it on the floor plan for the CS, but if memory serves there is one on the wall above the floor-mounted A/C cabinet.

2015 T@B S

• Options
    Yes, the CS and CSS comes with 2 TVs.
  • Options
    KFarriorKFarrior Member Posts: 13
    Hello. I have a 2016 Tab CS-S clam shell. I got a pop up tail gate tent with walls that have zipper windows. It fit over the back an allows plenty of room for cooking an entertaining. I also got a 9.5x9.5 sun shade sail, awning poles, and sewed Kendra rail tape onto it. It slides right into the front kedar rail. This provides me coverage in the front during in-climate weather.  Hope this hel 
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I love my inside kitchen, love the U shaped seating that sits four comfortably, and love cooking outside on my old camp gear. I like to have options, and for me this is the best of both worlds! Good luck with your decision. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    reneroyreneroy Member Posts: 5
    Love my outdoor kitchen, as it is the hub of family get-togethers when we camp.  It allows everyone to join in to the cooking festivities as we party.  Its also a great place to set up a sunset bar.  We keep extra food in an RTic cooler in the SUV.  Biggest down side to cooking outside are the breezes and winds that will blow out your gas flame, so investing in some side panels as others have suggested can be a good idea.  Good luck.  EnJOY!!!
  • Options
    VikingsVikings Member Posts: 147
    If you want to stay in your jammies while having coffee in the CS get an electric hot pot, or if without electricity get a butane hot plate...like they use in restaurants.  
    if you want to avoid going outside for b'fast instant oatmeal works too on either of the above items.   
    I do have to go out to get the milk for my Raisin Bran...
    These solutions have worked well for us.  

Kim & Mary Kay,  2016 CS-S,  Spokane, WA

Map of Provinces I Visited

• Options
    Emma62Emma62 Member Posts: 51
    What is the ARB that JohnDanielsCPA mentions?  
  • Options
    That is a brand of refrigerator/freezer with a Danfoss compressor.  It opens like a cooler.  Very efficient amp wise.  We have one installed in our CSS galley.

• Options
    dundonsdundons Member Posts: 36
    We have a 320 CS and cook on a Primus 2 burner stove set on a Costco table. The stock cooktop burners are very small and close together. We keep the bed set up all the time with a custom mattress. Outdoor cooking is fun and generally bug free in the high sierra of California when we camp. Be sure to buy a solar panel that is large enough to power your needs, we had to upgrade to a 180 W Zamp.

2016 T@B CS/ 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
  • Options
    That is a brand of refrigerator/freezer with a Danfoss compressor.  It opens like a cooler.  Very efficient amp wise.  We have one installed in our CSS galley.

I really think that this is how NuCamp should be configuring the clamshells. I don’t understand why this isn’t the standard CS galley. Has anyone ever heard an explanation? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I never inquired.  I expect it would raise the cost.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I never inquired.  I expect it would raise the cost.
    I would think that your configuration would be cheaper than mine. Isn't the cooler that you have cheaper than the front loading fridge that's in the standard configuration? Why do you think that your configuration is more expensive to manufacture? Serious question.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi