Options

Running Fridge on Propane

After just getting my T@B 320S I have been trying to familiarize myself with it, but have not tried running the fridge on propane.  Reading the instructions, they suggest running the fridge on AC or DC for 15 minutes first for easier starting....is that the procedure most here follow?
2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    We’ve never tried that but may! We just turn on a stove burner and that seems to have done it for us.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Also make sure that you don't turn the LP control (294) too far clockwise or it will actually shut off the LP.  The Max LP setting occurs just before the Off setting and there is no indication that you may have shut it off.   Setting the control as shown in the picture below is your best bet.

T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    We light the stove first to make sure the air isnt in the line.   Set the fridge to propane then hold the gas button down for longer than you think...15-20 seconds them hit the ignitor a couple of times and continue to told the button till the indicator in the gage is beyond the mid point on the green side  then release the gas button on the front of the fridge.

Make sure the trailer is very level side to side
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited July 2019
    Your sig line doesn't indicate what year your Tab is... ?

An earlier one would have different instructions from those that cbusguy gave.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2019
    @wooper, I have the same question as @ChanW.  This is why:

Although the nüCamp owner's manual (produced in 2017) suggests cooling the refrigerator on AC or DC for 15-20 minutes before attempting to ignite the propane burner, the Norcold manual for the N180.3X 3-way refrigerator does not state that (at least I can't find it in their manual.)  I'm guessing that the nüCamp instruction may only apply to older model T@Bs with the earlier model refrigerator.  Initially cooling the refrigerator using DC power seems counter-intuitive and likely would have no effect in cooling the refrigerator in that short time period (same goes for AC for that matter).  I usually cool the refrigerator overnight before switching to propane.  Additionally, DC power should only be used while the tow vehicle engine is running and your camper battery is fully charged and in good condition.  DC power is not designed to cool the refrigerator, but merely maintains the refrigerator temperature while you are towing your camper.

In addition to the comments re purging the gas line of air by lighting the stove-top burners first to help pull propane to the refrigerator gas line, I agree with @klenger's post.  A common mistake that is made when first learning how to use the Norcold refrigerator is to turn the propane control knob (#294 in the diagram posted by @klenger) too far right (or clockwise), which just turns it "off."  The mistake is completely understandable, however, because the instruction for that step in the Norcold manual is poorly written (i.e., it states, "turn the gas control knob to the high position.")  The problem with that wording is that there is nothing on the control knob that denotes "HIGH."  Instead, you see four flame sizes and assume that "HIGH" must be the largest flame, which in reality is the setting for turning "off" the propane.

Two additional points.  (1) When you first turn on your propane tank valve, it helps to open it slowly rather than quickly.  Seems to help with charging the gas lines and probably cuts down on the air in the lines.  (2) When choosing to operate on propane, be sure that you first set the selector knob (#207 on the diagram) to propane before using the gas control knob (#294 on the diagram.)  You use that same knob to switch between DC, AC, gas and "OFF."
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I have the older 3-way (2017 Max S) and I primarily boondock.  I will pre-cool my fridge on shore power before I leave the house, but once I get to my camp site I do not run the fridge on DC.  This is my procedure:

Very first thing - open the propane tank valve.  Like @Bayliss said - slowly open the propane tank valve.  This reduces the chance of tripping the safety shutoff in the regulator which will turn off or limit the flow of propane.

I do not start the fridge at this time, but continue to set up camp - level the trailer, etc.  This allows the propane to work through the lines and the system.

I then turn on the Alde, if needed, and light both stove burners.  After this, I start the fridge.  Works every time and I have never had a problem starting the fridge.  I usually pack a frozen cold pack in the fridge to help keep food items cold while the fridge is not running.

I never run the fridge while towing.

Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Since we have at least 2-3 generations of Norcold 3 way frigs, I think it would be helpful to have a list of model numbers and the techniques for starting each frig.  Anyone want to volunteer to create a list?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I will work on something for the Norcold N180.3X 3-way model.  Others can improve on what I come up with.  I am not familiar with the other models.
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)

• Options
    Thanks @Bayliss!
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM and others, attached is a summary of how to start/operate the Norcold N180.3X three-way refrigerator.  The document includes some general operation information as well.  It is in WORD format, so it can be easily edited or modified.

• Options
    @Bayliss, I put it under the User Manuals/PDF Files... category under Norcold Service Manual.  Thanks for providing this info.
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    Having owned two RVs with absorption type refrigerators, I'm a little amazed about all of this talk about starting the refrigerator on propane. The ones that I had were only 2-way, AC or propane. I always pre-cooled on AC and just left the fridge in the 'Auto' mode. I never had a problem with the fridge starting automatically once the AC line was disconnected. I did make a habit of turning on the gas range before a trip to get gas flowing. My experience the absorption refrigerators run most efficiently on gas but pre-cooling on AC works fine especially if the food is already cold when you load up the fridge. As long as there is not excessive opening of doors or blankly staring into the fridge, they tend to work well.
  • Options
    CliffhangerCliffhanger Member Posts: 8
    The frig in my new T@B 320s does not have an "Auto" mode.  I must manually turn the dial to the mode I want to use, and if propane, manually start the propane pilot.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Leaving with the trailer in a bit.  Last night for kicks I precooled it using propane.    It was 30 this morning.  

A case where people are over thinking it
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    Thank you, @Sharon_is_SAM.

@davel4wa, I agree with your comments.  I included some brief comments regarding pre-cooling the refrigerator in the instructions that I posted.  I think the problem with the Norcold N180-3X (similar to the Alde system) has to do more with the lack of clarity and completeness of their user manual.

• Options
    Kwallace72Kwallace72 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2018 T@B400 with a Norcold 2 way refrigerator and am having an impossible time getting it to switch to propane. I turned the control panel to propane, opened the propane tank, lit the burner and turned the refrigerator on. Our T@B has solar panels that charge the battery. The battery keeps draining from the refrigerator even when it’s in gas mode. Any input/advise is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Do you mean 3-way refrigerator? The 2-way models (which I think some 400s were equipped with) don't run on propane.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I thought the 2018 400s were all Ac/Dc?
  • Options
    davel4wadavel4wa Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2019
    @Kwallace72 Be sure to have all propane appliances off before you open the propane valve. Not doing so could trigger the excess flow prevention valve in the tank causing gas flow to virtually stop. Open the valve somewhat slowly as well.