Options

Front edge dripping on side tent

OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
I’m lying here in a rainfall and I am seeing water dripping into the floor of my side tent (up by the front wall). Upon closer inspection I see it is seeping in along the big curved seam. My tent has the new aluminum cross pole at the top. What is going on? Is this seam not sealed properly? I am not happy with PahaQue. When I used to back country camp, my Eureka brand tent NEVER leaked. Any advice?
2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    My four-year-old awning drips in the same place. Not a big deal to me, but I can see where it would be in a fully enclosed tent. I suspect it is the seam--you can buy seam sealer and try to mitigate it, but I've had limited success with that stuff.
    Maybe contact PahaQue and see if it is a warranty issue?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    This is a brand new tent that I am using for the first time. Now the water is carrying along the aluminum pole and dripping. I like my visor best. The tent isn’t a great design. PahaQue could have built a better tent if they expanded off the visor design, the second curved pole could meet with the visor pole high in the centre and then the ends would curve to the ground. It would look quite elegant. I should build a prototype and sell the design back to PahaQue!
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    PahaQue does not read this forum. If you contact PahaQue, they will listen to your concerns. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Im pretty sure Olena knows that!!! Pointless comment.
  • Options
    We figured out a plan of action. I’m cutting out the floor but leaving about a 12” perimeter of flaps to turn out to keep the bottom more or less sealed. Then I can put any kind of beach mat down on the ground and any water drips won’t matter. The floor is just not working for me, but I want to create a well ventilated space that will be almost bug free. The awning wasn’t enough but I think the floor less tent will be perfect. The first cut will be scary though!
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    Olena said:
    We figured out a plan of action. I’m cutting out the floor but leaving about a 12” perimeter of flaps to turn out to keep the bottom more or less sealed. Then I can put any kind of beach mat down on the ground and any water drips won’t matter. The floor is just not working for me, but I want to create a well ventilated space that will be almost bug free. The awning wasn’t enough but I think the floor less tent will be perfect. The first cut will be scary though!
    Personally I would try putting some seam sealer on it before taking such a drastic step.
    https://www.msrgear.com/blog/tents-101-seam-taping-vs-seam-sealing/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Tundra57 said:
    Sorry, but I don’t feel it is pointless. How can PahaQue know they have a problem if no one tells them?  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Here is my update - I cut the floor back to about a 12” perimeter and bought one of those woven plastic outdoor carpets (I will sew a binding around the cut edge after camping season). The tent is working better for me now - all the drips and puddles get funneled towards the centre and drain through. This tent is not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination and the roof is saggy however tight you tie all the guy lines (the fabric stretches and sags when wet and goes taut again when dry). I spent too much money on this tent and had to find a way to make it work, but I would not recommend it to anyone else thinking of buying it. PahaQue really seemed to be flying by the seat of their pants when they came up with this tent design. They should have hired a product designer to work out the structural issues before going to production. Those are my two cents about the tent, and I only have myself to blame, because I was suspicious about the tent design before I went ahead and bought one!
  • Options
    idletabidletab Member Posts: 57
    Verna said:
    Tundra57 said:
    Sorry, but I don’t feel it is pointless. How can PahaQue know they have a problem if no one tells them?  
    I appreciated the post. It lets me know which accessories to buy and which not to.