monitoring trailer temp when out.

Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
I take my dog lizzie with me whenever I can. Sometimes i go out somewhere she cant go. Maybe gone an hour or so. In hot weather I worry the power will go off and with no AC the trailer will heat up real quick. Anyone tried a good wifi temp monitor? Most sites have free wifi.
At home i have amazon blink cameras which have a temp monitor and connect to wifi but never tried in trailer.

Comments

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited July 2019
    Try https://rvpetsafety.com/ This requires a cell phone setup. Wifi would be an issue if you are boondocking and don't have a hot spot or wifi signal (campground.. those those are notoriously bad).

Edited to add: there are only 10 minute updates. There is another brand from the UK that is down to the minute, but reviews say the cell service is not compatible.

I carry my service dog in the truck. I need to know how long I have to cool down the truck so he doesn't overheat in the back. It is a good thing if you have power and it goes out in your camper. The battery backup lasts several hours.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    That sounds interesting. Wouldnt that mean i would have to leave a cell phone with it?
    The site i was just at, had no cell sevice at all, but free wifi. That was where the outside temp was 98 and the trailer ac was running full bat. I only stayed out an hour before heading back and i called the campsite to make sure the power was still on.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @Tundra57 The RV Pet Safety uses it's own phone# on a 4g LTE system. The one I have runs on Verizon. I believe the 4g runs on Sprint. You'll have to read it. At first, it looks like a pricey monthly fee, but if you go on Amazon, you get a deal for 3 months and then can buy 1 year's worth of cellular service for $120.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • mrlynch1953mrlynch1953 Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for this info on RV pet safety with verizon.  I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to protect my dog b/c most of the places I go to, like beach or boating, i'm not on wifi but i DO have cell service.  GREAT!
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited August 2019
    Please write a review. I had difficulty finding any when I looked into this 2 years ago and even offered to try it and review for them.

One thing to consider, depending on your dog, it might be safer to leave the windows open and fan running than the AC. I think this works well if temps do not climb above the mid 80's. When it gets above 90, I dont trust my T@b, it gets too hot. What I do in those cases is plan my activities for before su rise through mid morning, come back to pick up Rocky and look for activities that involve driving or higher elevations and places he can get out. So for example, we camped at Watchman in Zion and hiked early, picked up Rocky, and drove up to Kolob Terraces  which were also significantly less crowded. There was an almost 15 degree temperature difference, too. In Moab, similar hot hikes in the early hours and then off the explore Sand Flats, the Porcupine Rim, and La Sal Mountain Loop. At the Grand Canyon, we chose the North Rim which is significantly higher elevation and cooler. We considered running the heat at night and daytime temps at our forest service campground outside of the park were in the 60's.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Get a wifi hot spot from you cellular provider and then any of the wifi solutions would work.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.