Options

Anderson weight distribution hitch

JEZICA1JEZICA1 Member Posts: 1
edited February 2022 in Modifications & Upgrades
I  purchased an Anderson wdh but find the chains to be too long to put the brackets in front of the tongue box. Would appreciate photos or ideas from folks who use this wdh.

Comments

• Options
    TabneroTabnero Member Posts: 221
    the install instructions for anderson say, chop off some links from D link end

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Actually You can just use a closer link.  Let the unneeded links just hang down.  That way you will be able to adjust the torsion on the arms as needed for different weights.

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    if they're only a little long.  you can just twist the chains to take up some slack.
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    morey000 said:
    if they're only a little long.  you can just twist the chains to take up some slack.
    Twisting is ill advised as it reduces tinsel strength. FYI.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    The instructions specifically say do not twist.  There will be a lot of pressure on the chains.  That's how you get the weight distribution.  Chains need to be straight to get a constant tension setting and twisting can reduce the overall strength of the chains.  I shortened mine to the minimum recommended 10 lengths and in just fit in front of the storage tub.  I let the extra links hand down from the d ring for Now.  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @JEZICA1, what model t@b do you have? A 320 or a 400? If you don't tell us the very basics of your situation, we can't offer accurate information or advice. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Do the Anderson mounting brackets actually even fit the trailer frame on a 400?  Their website says fits 5" or 6" frames. I see some other members have this WDH. I'm tying to figure out if any mods or other parts were needed to fit our frame. My 400 will be arriving in about a week and I'm reconsidering if I want to use a WDH or not.  I don't think I'm going to need it.  My 400 will not have the added side platforms under the main storage tub. 

I'm just wondering if anyone is using an Anderson WDH and has had any issues with the brackets fitting.
  • Options
    LunaLuna Member Posts: 1
    I have an Anderson hitch and love it.  I have a 2019 Tab 400.  Please see the attached photo of my arrangement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    edited February 2022
    Thanks Luna! I picked up my 400 yesterday and I just have 1/2" squat without the WDH, so looks like I won't need it afterall, but I'm very happy you shared because I like knowing what works and how!  I will keep this in mind now that I know for sure it fits. I will never go back to the other VERY heavy kind I had before. 

I too had a 2019 400 and the tongue was very heavy.....over 400lbs.  The 2022 has around 320 or even less now that I removed the spare tire and the mount.  
  • Options
    Is a weight distribution hitch a good idea on a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock? Why?
    Karen and Chris
    2021 T@B 400, 2018 Land Cruiser
    Dallas, Texas
    “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.” Edward Abbey
  • Options
    You likely won't need it with the 2021. NuCamp reduced the tongue weight by about 100lbs starting with the 2020 or 2021 model.  What is the tongue weight capacity of your tow vehicle?