Options

Waxing Solar Panels?

The manual doesn’t seem to address what, if any, exterior maintenance is required for the factory installed solar panels.  Any harm or benefit to waxing them when you are waxing the roof?

Comments

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    edited August 2019
    I would not.  Simply wash with mild dish detergent.   You could apply Rain-X after washing but it won't make much difference.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2019
    That's a good question, but I'm thinking of our glass panels, rather than the flexible ones.

They do seem to collect dust pretty well, and I wonder if wax (or Rain-X) would be a good way to slow that down, and/or prevent water spots?

Does anyone wax their panels?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I use a liquid RV wax/wash, not a substitute for a real wax job, but I guess the panels are getting some "wax" since I use that product on entire exterior.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Wax can cause a film and decrease the efficiency. I have used window cleaner (Windex) or the poor man's window cleaner (white vinegar and water). Use newspaper to prevent streaking, just like on windows. The cleaner the glass, the better.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    JbreunigJbreunig Member Posts: 25
    What type of sponge or brush do you use to wash the solar panels?  would an ultra soft brush scratch them?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We have glass panels and we spray them off before using any cloth to wash them.  Less likely to scratch them.  Any soft cloth or brush is fine.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    We had solar on our cruising sailboat.  Part 
    of my morning ritual was to rinse the panel of with fresh water.  Freashwater is a cherished commodity at sea, even with a seawater desalinated .  I used a small pump sprayed.  I wouldn't’ use wax for reasons stated above.  Had the boat for ten years with no solar problems.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    My flexible solar panels top plastic layer were starting to oxidize (rain drops helping show the contrast)...

...and losing some power.  Tried mild Dawn and vinegar solutions with no luck.

With some trepidation I used the Rain-X headlight restorer kit, not sure if all that rubbing with the surfactant / lubricant, three different grit pads, the polish, and finally the sealant would kill the panels.

Nope.  Facing due West with the back of the camper, and around 2pm from the SSW I got peak wattage of 161W in winter sun at an angle.

Nowhere close to my max in summer, but better than it had dipped to.  Not sure how many times that can be done before one erodes down into the solar cell material.  And it takes a day or two on a ladder.

But at least they look new.

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I wouldn’t advise using a grit pad on anything other than maybe a propane grill grate.  The green scotch pads are abrasive and the blue colored pads are non-abrasive.  I don’t know the particulars on the flex solar panels, but most of the monocrystalline flat solar panels have a 25 year charge warranty on them.  

Your panels look pretty good.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    These were the #1, #2, #3 pads that Rain-X supplied in the headlight haze restore kit. Next camper I'll go with regular panels instead of flex ones.  Not just hazing up from the sun, but there's just too much hail around here.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    They sparkle @DougH!  What does the manufacturer prescribe for thorough cleaning?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    These were BougeRV brand EFTE panels, and the original instructions were just to do a gentle rinse occasionally. They might have gone 5 years or more if under a teardrop cover.  But the last couple years I haven't bothered.  It will be interesting to see what happens to NüCamp installed flex panels for full timers who spend a lot of time in the TX, NM, AZ sun (whether or not they start to haze up after 2-4 years).

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Argh... it's always something.

Now that the panels are working great again (or maybe because of funny panel behavior during cleaning), the Victron 100/20 blew its 25A fuse this morning during a drive. Attached load fuses were all fine for tank heating, etc. Putting in a fresh 25A and hooking up just the battery leads alone to the Victron immediately blew the fuse again, so main board I guess has somehow croaked. I put back an older Epever MPPT and it showed good PV voltage and current, and it started a mild charge on the batteries... so I guess the Victron 100/20 just got weary of T@B life.  Will order another.

Update: Put a 100/30 in.  No load connections on this model versus the 100/20, but it has bigger connections for thick solar and battery wires. And for some reason the Bluetooth reaches all the way into he tow vehicle front seat, so I can monitor the system as I drive. And the Victron didn't get tired, I got a bit of a tingle from the doorframe, and only then noticed I had an open ground on the power dongle for shore power. I dont know why I plugged in the camper without all three green lights on the dongle. Doh. Everything else seems fine so far (Alde, lights, fan), but the Victron must not have liked it.

• Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Wow Doug, the panels look great after your cleaning!  Seems like it worked.  I figure in 5 years when my panel is all shot from the AZ sun, I'll just stick on a new one, that will have better efficiency for half the price.  Not gonna' worry about it for now.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    @morey000 Good strategy!