Coupler adjustment on t@b 320 (t@bitha)

BarteurBarteur Member Posts: 24
Hi everyone,
Last week i was discussing  with a colleague how I liked my tab and seeing new things while camping. And I mentioned to him how I was finding annoying the knocking of the trailer while driving and i could not believe  that with the qty of trailers on the road this was the norm and nothing was invented (pls keep in mind that the tab is the first trailer i have towed in my entire life). Btw i purchase everything i needed to stabilize my hitch the only part loose i s the ball in the coupler. This is when he told me have you adjusted the thighness of your coupler? I said no, so he explained to me that theres a bolt inside the coupler for fine adjustment. I was all happy to learn this thinking my issue was solve. Got home, laid down under the coupler no bolts. Heres my question is there an adjustment and I lost it or theres none and theres nothing to do? I did some search here but everything is in regard to the hitch not the coupler. Thanks in advance. Eric

Comments

• SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    The quick question is do you should have the required 2" ball?
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• BarteurBarteur Member Posts: 24
    The quick question is do you should have the required 2" ball?
    Hi, yes i have a reese 2” ball.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    You can easily find hitch tightness on Amazon or other camping supply stores.

https://youtu.be/Y88Ly6zJm-g

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @jkjenn, so does tightening the hitch reduce the movement of (and sound) of the ball?
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    It isn't the ball making the noise, it is the hitch where it connects to the receiver clunking around. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited August 2019
    @jgram2 The device suggested by @Jkjenn usually eliminates the noise you describe.  The adapter being loose in the TV receiver.

Do you have a standard hitch with electric brakes, a newer T@B, or an older T@B with surge brakes?  This changes the possible answer.  If you don't know can you post a picture?

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    No. I’m trying to figure out the OP’s question.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited August 2019
    Barteur said:
    . . . annoying . . . knocking of the trailer while driving . . .

. . .  have you adjusted the thighness of your coupler?
    . . .  laid down under the coupler no bolts.

Eric; Your observation of the bottom of the coupler is correct. There is no Ball Clamp Tightness adjustment screw/bolt on a Yoke Style Coupler.

If you do indeed have a 2-inch tow ball then there can be no “coupler – ball” movement if the coupler is correctly latched. Excluding of course unless the coupler itself is in some way damaged.

As others stated the bumps you feel while towing are most likely the tow bar moving in the receiver. Receiver Clamps / Locks like the one posted by @jkjenn will stop the tow bar movement.

= = = = = =
    Following figure is from the Yoke Style Coupler patent.

When Latch Handle [38] is down and the Latch Teeth [36] are fully down in the coupler slots,
    the Clamp Assembly [18] is pulled forward toward the tow ball placing
    the Clamping Plate [20] in direct contact with the tow ball.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I do have the hitch clamp/plate to tighten the hitch in place but looking at the video I realized I’m putting it backwards. I’m taking the tab out this weekend i will check if putting it the other way makes a difference.

Sweetly home, I have a 2016 Tabitha with electrical brakes not sure if they are surge or not. The knocking sensation does not come from the breaking process though it’s when I roll over bumps or bad road conditions.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Also, if your Tab tongue is too light it can make your hitch noisier, especially on bumps.

Make sure your tongue weight is within specifications, ie: 10%-15% of the trailer weight, or 200-300 pounds.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    ChanW said:
    Also, if your Tab tongue is too light it can make your hitch noisier, especially on bumps.

Make sure your tongue weight is within specifications, ie: 10%-15% of the trailer weight, or 200-300 pounds.

I would say I’m the opposite with the bikes, group 31 battery, spare I’m over that amount
    @Barteur you have electric brakes on a 2016.  Your re-installing hitch clamp/plate correctly is very likely the fix.