Options

20 amp fuse

I just purchased a 2009 DM T@b and am going through it making it right.  I just noticed that when I disconnect shore power, I keep blowing the 20 amp fuse. What am I doing wrong?

2022 T@B 400 BD, with 2-way refrigerator and AllPro Awning
TV is a 2021 Honda Passport Elite w/ transmission cooler and Redarc Liberty Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    What I have been hearing is that fuses blow when connecting/disconnecting power with equipment still turned on.  Usually it happens when connecting power but I suppose it is also possible when disconnecting.  Try turning everything off before disconnecting.
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    Which 20amp fuse?  What circuit?

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Hoogie69Hoogie69 Member Posts: 31
    The 20 amp fuse is for the DC circuit.

TV is a 2021 Honda Passport Elite w/ transmission cooler and Redarc Liberty Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Hoogie69, I agree with @falcon1970 regarding turning everything off inside the camper before connecting OR disconnecting from shore power.  Several folks have experienced blown Alde fuses when they connect/disconnect while connected to shore power.  Also, be sure that you have the power supply at the campsite pedestal turned off (i.e., flip off the pedestal circuit breaker) both before connecting or disconnecting your camper plug at the pedestal.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Options
    Hoogie69Hoogie69 Member Posts: 31
    Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be installing the battery isolation switch that didn't make the higher priority to-do list.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    When hooking up to or disconnecting from shore power you need to ensure that:

1. The campground fuse panel breaker switches are in the “off” position prior to hooking up your trailer.  You will find that many campers fail to turn off the breaker switch when leaving the campground.  Once you confirm the breakers are off, attach the power cord to the trailer, plug in at the pedestal and flip the breaker(s) switch “on.”  

Note:  The Alde unit should not be turned “on” before power is supplied to the trailer from the shore power source as it’s possible the sudden surge of power will blow an Alde fuse.  Likewise, ensure that the Alde unit is always turned off when breaking camp to avoid the above condition.  

2.  When breaking camp, do the above steps in #1 in reverse order.  Turn breaker(s) off, unhook 30A power cord from shore power and unhook from trailer.  

As to why you are blowing the 20 amp DC fuse that is a good question.  Since your trailer is an older Dutchman T@B my guess is that it has something to do with the older model electric converter/charger unit in the trailer and for whatever reason, the converter is creating a voltage spike (or unbalanced voltage condition) when the trailer is removed from shore power.  The battery shouldn’t allow the voltage to spike at a higher rate, thus causing the fuse to blow and neither should the load of let’s say a ceiling fan, frig motor, etc.  What circuit does the 20A fuse feed?  

If it was happening to me, the first thing I would do is to start checking connections.  Check the connection terminals at the converter, tighten them down and do the same thing at any junction boxes or grounding buss bars in the trailer.  A poor ground or loose connection will create strange conditions, wiring can heat up and these types of things happen.  If this doesn’t help you should have someone with a solid electrical background help out, hook up a digital meter to the electric converter and see if there is a voltage spike as I still believe your issue originates there.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Note: @Hoogie69 has a 2009 DM T@B (see his post, please), made by Dutchman, not nüCamp or Pleasant Valley. He has no Alde. 

@Hoogie69, do you know what the 20 amp fuse controls?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”