Options

Jack for Spare Tire on 2018 320-CS

JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
Soon to be new owner of a slightly used 2018 320-CS. In reviewing the 2018 owners manual, there is no mention of the spare tire, and more importantly, if any type of jack used to change a tire is included. Comments anyone? Would I be better off just purchasing a decent (recommendations appreciated) pair of bottle jacks?

Thanks!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.

Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    nuCamp does not provide a jack with any of the TABs or TAGs.  There are several videos from nuCamp showing how to raise a tire on a TAG or TAB320 using the stabilizer jacks.  However, I think they have retracted that procedure and no longer support it.  They never had a solution for changing a tire on a TAB400.  They now suggest, for all of their units, a jack and have (finally!!) suggested the jacking point be the structural member where the axle is bolted to the frame.  This structural member is not very wide and is fairly close to the inside of the tire.  I think you will need to acquire a jack with a more secure pad than a bottle jack.  A bottle jack has a small round pad and is likely to slip off of the structural member on the frame--especially as the geometry changes as you raise the trailer or if you bump the trailer when removing or replacing the wheel.  I use a jack from either a Ford F-250 or a GMC 2500 van.  Almost any light truck jack would probably work as long as it has a wide pad on top.  Whatever you get, make sure it will raise your tire off the ground before it reaches full extension.
    In any case, NEVER raise the trailer by putting the jack under the axle.  The axle housing is thin and you will bend it.  A bent axle is likely to change the whole towing geometry.
    Also, slightly unlevel ground is probably not a problem but the verge on the side of a highway is too much slope.  You will have to tow with a flat tire (very slowly) to a safer spot.  You may have to resign yourself to a ruined tire and maybe a ruined wheel.
    Finally, try to leave the trailer connected to your tow vehicle and chock the front and back of the opposite side wheel of the trailer.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Thank you for the clarification, and also pointing me away from bottle jacks. Sounds like a good scissor jack would be preferable. Any recommendations there?

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Funny, we started with a scissor jack and ended up using a bottle jack😁
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I am on the hunt for a smaller floor jack, i think that best, but also bulky to store and transport.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    I picked this up for use on my Jeep and T@B. 
    https://safejacks.com/products/6-ton-rv-jack-kit?variant=4225279164457

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV
  • Options
    tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 426
    The problems with a bottle jack are the small base and the narrow slippery shaft...safejack offer a yoke that addresses one of those issues https://safejacks.com/collections/bottle-jack-accessories/products/axle-tube-pad-for-bottle-jack
    If you plan ahead and have a solid flat base to put the jack on, that along with the yoke makes it safer...they certainly have the hydraulic lift power you need.
    Scissor jacks get wobbly the higher you crank them...they are a nightmare on uneven ground. Anyone that has ever changed a car tire with a Honda or Toyota jack has experienced a moment of terror when the jack starts to lean, then bend before the wheel drops on the road. If you must use one be sure that you are carrying a plate or board to place it one before you use it and be sure that you get to smooth level ground before you attempt a lift. Always use jack stands for the eventuality of a jack slippage or failure. Even if you've never had it happen, it's a matter of time before it does.
    Of course the floor jack is the best choice, but it is big, heavy and not the sort of thing that you want to haul around on a camping trip....a small light floor jack would sell like good barbeque.
  • Options
    I don't think there is enough room under any TAG to TAB for a floor jack.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited August 2019
    The 400 is a heavy beast and you might have to call AAA or a tire repair service as even with a floor jack it’s a chore lifting the larger T@B 400.

One thing of note here is NOT to depend on the front or rear stabilizers as they are not intended for loading that the 400 will place on them.  I know this because I had the tongue jack on a block of wood, was in the process of deploying the front stabilizer out in Arizona and the trailer was hit unexpectedly by a gust of wind to the side wall.  This short burst of energy shifted the trailer weight in the sand, the trailer moved to the driver’s side and this buckled the driver’s side stabilizer leg.  Scary event for sure!  😱😬

So I learned my lesson to no longer use wood under the tongue of the 400 as cribbing in loose soil as things can and will happen.  Once a stabilizer leg is compromised like that it suffers metal fatigue and you can toss it.  And after seeing how quickly the leg collapsed and knowing the weight of this unit I would make doggone sure I had more than an adequate jack to handle the unit.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited August 2019
    @JP2558, below is a shot from under our 2018 320s taken from behind the right tire and showing the frame piece intended for jacking, resting on a Jack stand..
    Note that the bar extends more towards the front of the tire than rear, so it's easier to reach by placing the jack under it from the front of the tire.  Keeping the trailer hitched to the tow vehicle greatly enhances stability when jacking a wheel off the ground.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Good photo.  You can see that the L-shaped bracket is not very wide and not really flat.  That is why I don't think a bottle jack is safe to use.  You need something with a wider pad that is curved like this jack stand.  There are, however, jack pads that fit on top of a bottle jack pad which look like this jack stand pad.
  • Options
    Thanks for the picture. I think the scissor jack in my TV will work instead of a bottle jack.

Thanks, Jerry 

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Great discussion.  Just bought this to use with my drill and TV scissor jack (it also fits the T@B).

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Roc-Scissor-Adapter-Automotive-Leveling/dp/B01D316WNQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=CHM8MOVTSUO9&keywords=scissor+jack+accessories&qid=1566076327&s=gateway&sprefix=scossor+jack+acc,aps,185&sr=8-1

I agree with not using a bottle jack with the T@B.  Carried one around for 8 months only to find it had no hydraulic fluid from the factory. 

Now the drill can be used with the scissor jack, tongue jack, stabilizer bars and BAL leveler.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I just measured the distance from the ground to the frame plate used for jacking, and it is about seven inches. Can anyone recommend jack stands for a 320 of should I expect to use a scissor jack to raise the trailer and then insert the jack stand?

Thanks, Jerry