Options

How to take ownership (title changeover) across state lines?

JP2558JP2558 Member Posts: 219
edited August 2019 in Camping & Travel
We plan to purchase our T@B next week from a private owner in Michigan, but we live in Ohio. The current owner has a lien on the title. I understand that the lien-holder will release the the lien after they confirm the payment, and then send us the updated paperwork, but in the meantime how do I ensure we are properly licensed for road travel so that I can bring the T@B home and get it registered in Ohio?

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.

Comments

• Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2019
    Please follow the instructions on the Carfax website. You cannot title or license if it has a lien. 

https://www.carfax.com/blog/car-buying-outstanding-loan
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited August 2019
    Just jumped through this hoop myself in ohio.    Not sure about michigan,  but ohio requires a title and it is licensed as a travel trailer.   you just go to the local title agency with all of your paperwork and they will take are of it.   They will also collect the sale tax at the time of title transfer,  just be prepared.

@MiquelCamo is correct you can't do anything till the previous lien is cleared.   So I would go to the lien holder in michigan and pay them first, not worth the risk of getting cheated.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Cbusguy said:
    Just jumped through this hoop myself in ohio.    Not sure about michigan,  but ohio requires a title and it is licensed as a travel trailer.   you just go to the local title agency with all of your paperwork and they will take are of it.   They will also collect the sale tax at the time of title transfer,  just be prepared.

@MiquelCamo is correct you can't do anything till the previous lien is cleared.   So I would go to the lien holder in michigan and pay them first, not worth the risk of getting cheated.

Yep, go to the bank with them, and pay off the loan and give them the rest, and get your title.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    Thank you for the Carfax report link and to the Ohioan who just went through this hoop too. Your assistance and input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jerry 

2019 Honda Pilot AWD and 2018 T@B 320-CS hanging out on the left edge of Lake Erie.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Regarding the issue of just getting the trailer home, I'd suggest checking with your local DMV, city hall, or wherever you register your vehicles. Some states issue temporary transit plates just for this purpose.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Trying buying a trader without a title because it is a former military trailer and bringing it from Ohio to PA. Oy!! Glad I will never do that again.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Follow up: I was provided with a copy of the title with the lien stamp on it, that and a bill of sale, which is good enough for proof of purchase. 

Thanks, Jerry