Options

Thoughts on adding Yakima rack to ordinary 320S?

Coleen and I are wrestling with where to store the spare tire. The under-chassis mount is not tenable. (I watched the dealer trying to put the spare there... it was comical.)

While we like the idea of a tongue mount, the rack on the back seems to be the most sound. But I'm interested in your thoughts:

1. is the rack as good as it looks?
2. is it a source of new leaks?
3. Would it need to be a factory install?
4. Just return the trailer and buy a Boondock? (not serious here)

Thanks for your insights.
...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I had the Austin at the factory install a Yakima rack on my former T@B S Max and it worked wonderfully. I only kept the spare tire on it with a cover. No leaks. While the factory can supply you with the measurements for the placement of the rack, I felt more comfortable with Austin installing for me. 

I no longer had to worry about scraping the spare on driveway entrances and that was a great stress saver. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2019
    I've always thought getting the spare off the rack might be difficult. I like the aesthetics of the rack but the tongue mount seems to make it the most accessible. The added weight to the tongue seems like a positive to me but I use a F150 to tow so it depends on your vehicle and other weight distribution. Mine is mounted like those in this link, it's very secure (barely resting on the frame) and is easy to remove. It's also a very affordable choice. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be better than the underneath mount. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6677/spare-tire-moved-to-tongue-detail-and-pics

Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I have an Outback with the spare tire up on the Yakima.  Getting the tire down from there isn't easy, either.  I've practiced a few times and I know what to expect, but you still wind up easing down a heavy spare by holding it up over your head.  The main advantage of the racik is you aren't sprawled in the dirt! 

I have my sewer storage on the rack, and I'm looking at other tube type storage, also.  The rack is pretty useful in camp:  clothes drying, securing lines for various tarps, etc.  I've even hung my flexible solar panel from it. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    You can find the installation instructions for the roof rack here. IIRC @Ratkity did a DIY install and might be able to offer some additional insights.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    I have the rack on our 320 Boondock.  I feel it is a waste.  I would rather have the spare on the tongue.  But it is there, so it stays.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    I love my factory installed rack.  However, make sure you are tall enough to remove the tire in an emergency.  I carry a Harbor Freight step stool for just this purpose.  I consider myself somewhat handy but would never attempt the Yakima install.  Finding the exact location of those very narrow aluminum struts in the roof would be too intimidating.  A factory retrofit would be preferable.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Verna said:
    I had the Austin at the factory install a Yakima rack on my former T@B S Max and it worked wonderfully. I only kept the spare tire on it with a cover. No leaks. While the factory can supply you with the measurements for the placement of the rack, I felt more comfortable with Austin installing for me. 

I no longer had to worry about scraping the spare on driveway entrances and that was a great stress saver. 
    Thanks for the insight, Verna. How long did the factory install take? I'm in Canada, a long way from that factory.
    ...Doug

• Options
    I've always thought getting the spare off the rack might be difficult. I like the aesthetics of the rack but the tongue mount seems to make it the most accessible. The added weight to the tongue seems like a positive to me but I use a F150 to tow so it depends on your vehicle and other weight distribution. Mine is mounted like those in this link, it's very secure (barely resting on the frame) and is easy to remove. It's also a very affordable choice. Whatever you decide I'm sure it will be better than the underneath mount. 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6677/spare-tire-moved-to-tongue-detail-and-pics

I appreciate the comment, Mike. Tongue weight is not a problem for us as we drive the Chev equivalent of your 150. I'm going to investigate your link today.
    ...Doug

• Options
    I have an Outback with the spare tire up on the Yakima.  Getting the tire down from there isn't easy, either.  I've practiced a few times and I know what to expect, but you still wind up easing down a heavy spare by holding it up over your head.  The main advantage of the racik is you aren't sprawled in the dirt! 

I have my sewer storage on the rack, and I'm looking at other tube type storage, also.  The rack is pretty useful in camp:  clothes drying, securing lines for various tarps, etc.  I've even hung my flexible solar panel from it. 

Good point on getting the tire down. It's probably okay for me, but might be nearly impossible for my wife, should that be necessary. Thanks.
    ...Doug

• Options
    Thanks to everyone for very quick and useful responses. Much appreciated.
    ...Doug

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’m not sure how long the installation took because I left it with Austin all day. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    When ordering my 2015 320S I requested the Yakima rack, a decision I have never regretted.  We like the looks of it.  Granted I have never had to remove the tire but I'm tall enough so reach isn't going to be an issue.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
    My T@B 320 came with the Yakama rails but not the basket.  I added the basket myself and now use it to transport my SeaEagle inflatable. Really convenient. Have a bungee net that hold it in a long with a safety strap.  It looks pretty cool without anything in it. :)
    Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

• Options
    linolino Member Posts: 225
    If you contact Austin directly he can walk you through it

Would be a great time to get any other modifications or maintenance done since you’ll be at the NuCamp repair shop anyways

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I've got the 320s boondock with the rack and tongue mounted spare. I'm wondering whether moving the spare to the rack would impact gas mileage for the better or worse? I have the same question as to whether putting a bike on the tongue or lashed to the rack would be better. It seems there is the potential for less wind resistance on the tongue where it may be in a slipstream behind my TV? Any thoughts or experience with these choices out there?
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi