Soon to be new T@B 400 owner. Question about taking delivery.

grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
Hi all, the wife and I just put a deposit on a 2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite. Live in the Phoenix area and buying from Tom's Camperland in Mesa. (Was glad to see they were pretty highly regarded here).   We've not owned an travel trailer before so this is going to be a new experience for us.  I'm comfortable with the towing aspect and understand all the hookup's etc having previously owned a 30' powerboat with living quarters (shore power,black tanks etc.).

We are scheduled to take delivery this coming Saturday. Dealer will be installing a brake controller (T.V. is 2018 Toyota 4Runner) and a Curt anti-sway bar.
Obviously we will going over things during the delivery process.  Any specific things we should inspect/verify before we drive off the lot? 
Thanks in Advance.

2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ

Comments

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @grsiepka - We are not the ones to answer this... we bought ours used.  But we are envious you get a walkthru from the dealer.  Make sure you know where all the fuses are (that was hard for us to find).  Ask your dealer if they will let you video the walkthru... that way you can go back and see it a second time.  It is like going to the doctor... you think you have all your questions answered until you push the elevator button leaving the office!
    Remember too that you can make a list of questions later and a good dealer will be happy to answer them (as well as all the fabulous people here on the forum that probably know more than most of the dealers) ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• tombeauxtombeaux Member Posts: 60
    I asked my dealer in advance of pickup about the length of the walkthru, and could I ask questions. The salesman said the walkthru would end when I was finished asking questions (perfect answer). I would make sure you know how to turn on and off every system in the trailer. When they show you, ask to do it yourself and get your hands on the stuff. Try to get hot water flowing, too. It seems universal that the mixing valve is set to ice cold. If you can't get hot water, that's probably the reason and there is no reason not to set it at the dealer. After the walkthru, the trailer was hitched to our tow vehicle and it appeared at the front of the showroom for us to drive off. I would ask at this point to operate the hitch mechanism just so you know what you are dealing with. We were not familiar with the release system on our T@B and they can be a little sticky when new. We couldn't get it to release at our campsite a few hours after getting our unit. We had to call the dealer. They explained it was likely in a bind and we needed to inch forward or back to release the bind. It worked, but we could have saved that scare by working through it at the dealership. Good luck! Oh - on the fuses - do a search of the forum. There are lots of threads on fuse locations for the various models.
    2018 T@B 320S. 2017 Toyota Highlander AWD
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    In case you haven’t done so already, there’re 2 manuals for the 400 in the User Manuals/PDF files category in the left hand category column. Reading those might inform your dealer walk through questions. Have fun!

John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    edited August 2019
    Thanks all for the comments here.  Everything went well. Adan from Tom's Camperland went over everything pretty well.  Only thing we're not really crazy about is the AC compressor noise. We had it running at the dealer and didn't notice it, but when we got it home it seems really loud inside. Will probably record it and post it in one of the AC threads to see if its normal.  Ours is serial #540 and it already had the "hardware cloth" fix underneath to remove the airflow restrictions, but does not have the diverter panel installed like @BigShowSkipper had done. Air temp coming out of the vents is like 65 degrees so it seems ok so far.   Only other thing is there's a little more sag in the back end of the 4runner than i'd like to see so i'll be shopping for a WDH soon. Looking forward to getting out there.
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ