When booking sites... travel trailer or popup only categories...

DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
edited August 2019 in Camping & Travel
I've not yet tried to book a site online (have looked but not actually clicked "book" yet), but I notice that when you go to a camp web site they will ask what type of rig.. the options include Motor homes and travel trailers and many will differentiate further with popups / other...

Since "travel trailer" can include small teardrops all the way up to giant 40+ foot monsters.. I wonder if I am OK selecting "popup" since the size range would be more inclusive of my T@B 320s

I know this is probably way over thinking I just was wondering what other folks do when faced with that question.. do you choose Travel Trailer? Popup Trailer? or other?

Does it really even matter?  (I assume that maybe if I choose Popup trailer, there may be some smaller sites that would show as available whereas choosing travel trailer etc might filter those out?)

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I've noticed the same thing and the differentiation is never really clear since all are trailers of various lengths. A more useful description would be "trailers up to xx feet." Some sites do have a field where you can put in trailer length in a addition to type.
    If in doubt, I suggest searching using different criteria and see if you actually get different results. If you spot a site you are particularly interested in you might be able to get more specific information to ensure it is suitable.
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited August 2019
    My experience has been with a pop-up or tent site you will generally have electric and most of the time water but rarely sewer hookups.

We generally stay in either tent or pop-up sites as they can cost less.....sometimes half price.    

Some tent sites may only have 15 amp service which means you can run your ac.....but probably will need to run the fridge on propane to keep from tripping the breaker.

Tent pop-up sites are smaller as well.     The up side is there are fewer folks using them so our experience has been they are quieter and less busy than a full hookup site.    The last negative is the pads are rarely paved or concrete so if the weather is wet mud will be an issue

The biggest downside would be you need to manage your black and gray tanks......but over a weekend we have never had capacity problems.....if we go for over a week I have a waste tank on wheels from our previous pop-up that I will use so I don't need to move the trailer to empty the tanks

If reserving a tent site make sure they will let you put a pop-up on the site......some will not..  most will say tent only, ran I to that near bardstown

Before you book look at the campground pictures, consider the weather and your style of camping.   Are you going to use the shower house, pool or rec activity's then a closer site might be good for you.  Like quiet smaller loops further away might be what you need

Experience is the best teacher go and have fun, who care what others think.   We get the rolling eyes when we park among the whales....and more than a few knocks on the door wanting to look inside.  

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    X2 to look at the photos of the campground. Some tent sites have a boulder “barricade” to prevent campers from driving into the site.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    It doesn't have to do with size.  It's the construction.  Many campgrounds will not allow you to stay if you have soft sides ie: popup or tent.  This is due to predators, mainly bears.  But, there are others.  In Florida we have panthers.  We consisdered this when we were looking at other styles of trailer such as Livin'Lite with their pop out bed.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    I have also heard of people being put in a very small site that was unacceptable because it was also very sloped, just because they had a "small unit", whereas people with the bigger units got the better spots, and they were charged the same as the premium spots.  I try to get a google view of the campground whenever possible.  Actually being able to see it gives a lot of information.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    That happened to me once--that's one of the reasons I try to stick with state and national park campgrounds that allow you to pick your own site--if I'm not happy I got only myself to blame...  ;-)
    Probably true for some private CGs as well, but less consistently so.
    2015 T@B S
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    lkc001 said:
    I have also heard of people being put in a very small site that was unacceptable because it was also very sloped, just because they had a "small unit", whereas people with the bigger units got the better spots, and they were charged the same as the premium spots.  I try to get a google view of the campground whenever possible.  Actually being able to see it gives a lot of information.
    Had that happen to me at the KOA in Crescent City, CA. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    On my most recent trip I had two reservation requests denied.  They asked for my trailer length and year when I called from the road. When I gave the length they said they don't allow in anything that small.  Sadness.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

DougH said:
    On my most recent trip I had two reservation requests denied.  They asked for my trailer length and year when I called from the road. When I gave the length they said they don't allow in anything that small.  Sadness.
    What length are you telling them?

Odessa, Fl.  

• DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    @Cbusguy Actually I am very happy with just 15A electric.. I have a 320s with the 5k BTU AC and have no issues running my fridge on propane .. ran it for 2 weeks straight recently and heated water for a shower at least twice and still haven't run out of that tank (though I'm guessing it's on fumes)

I've been "driveway camping" with a lot of folks.. I keep my tank usage to absolute minimum, using indoor plumbing whenever possible. Thus far I've managed to keep it so I can dump my tanks into a 5 gallon bucket and flush as it's liquids only.

So yeah, actually sites with just electric would be fine for several days the way I use it.
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

Sounds like you just need to push the book button
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @GatorEgg :  I've been saying sixteen feet, which may be from tip to toe...   not sure.  Can I just create a 10' extention made out of painted cardboard?  Something I could unfold and attach to the back of the T@B right before park entry?  Reporting it as a 26' model might get me into the parks with the elite crowd...
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

So far we haven't had any issues with bad spots.....we use it like a motel room.   Into town to the bars and restaurants, tours or ??????.   Then back for some tv then sleep.

Not really hanging out around the old fire pit.     Had enough of that style of camping in boy scouts.
    Cbusguy said:
    So far we haven't had any issues with bad spots.....we use it like a motel room.   Into town to the bars and restaurants, tours or ??????.   Then back for some tv then sleep.

Not really hanging out around the old fire pit.     Had enough of that style of camping in boy scouts.

We’re the same.  Never any bad or problems with any campground.  We won’t stay in any private campgrounds.  The trailer is a hotel room and restaurant for us. Wife has food allergies and I’m “allergic” hotels that charge $100 a night to sleep for 8 hrs. Not into the camping thing.  Many years of that with a couple sons all the way through Scouts.
    Odessa, Fl.  

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    It takes all kinds!  B)
    (That's the nice thing about it!)
    GatorEgg said:
    Cbusguy said:

We’re the same.  Never any bad or problems with any campground.  We won’t stay in any private campgrounds.  The trailer is a hotel room and restaurant for us. Wife has food allergies and I’m “allergic” hotels that charge $100 a night to sleep for 8 hrs. Not into the camping thing.  Many years of that with a couple sons all the way through Scouts.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya