DVD Player Doesn’t Work Either? Easy QC Check.

This morning I decided to test out the Jensen entertainment system and the television.  Followed the included directions.  Radio works.  DVD player does not work.  I tried 4 different standard DVDs (not blu-ray) that we routinely watch in the house.  Every one of them just say “loading” on the Jensen screen and I never get beyond that point.

Am I doing something wrong?  I’m back to wondering if there is any Quality Control in place at NuCamp. 

Comments

• JujuandBayBayJujuandBayBay Member Posts: 6
    Could you get the dvd in?  Ours wont take the dvd
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    TNOutback said:
    This morning I decided to test out the Jensen entertainment system and the television.  Followed the included directions.  Radio works.  DVD player does not work.  I tried 4 different standard DVDs (not blu-ray) that we routinely watch in the house.  Every one of them just say “loading” on the Jensen screen and I never get beyond that point.

Am I doing something wrong?  I’m back to wondering if there is any Quality Control in place at NuCamp. 

This disappointing this things dont work, but this would be quality control at Jensen and not nuCamp.

The Jensen is mediocre, at best, but there are very few options in the RV entertainment system world. None of them seem to get stellar reviews. 

I have noticed that your DVD needs to be fairly in pristine condition for the Jensen to work. 

I have noticed on the walkthroughs of the 2021 mode

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    May try resetting the unit. Small pin hole next to the "Menu" button. Use a paperclip to push it. It should reset. Jensen unit is substandard. Know space and $$ is an issue but it would have been  better if NuCamp upgraded the unit to higher quality stereo and either install a hdtv with built in dvd or a separate dvd. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    AirBoss said:
    Jensen unit is substandard. Know space and $$ is an issue but it would have been  better if NuCamp upgraded the unit to higher quality stereo and either install a hdtv with built in dvd or a separate dvd. 
    I don’t think that it makes sense for NuCamp to upgrade the TV (and pass the cost on to customers) when many of us barely use the TV. For example I recently surveyed clamshell owners here and the majority of us don’t use the outside TV and many of us have removed them. The reality is that most T@B buyers aren’t keen to bear the cost of higher end AV equipment. If you’re an audiophile or into movie watching it’s easy enough to replace the stock units (although 12v TV options are limited). 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    Good points, Marceline ( my mom's name BTW). Just saying perhaps a different approach would have been more advisable and reflect more positively on NuCamp. To your point, main use of the unit is Bluetooth for music and other than a hiccup with that function, its serviceable. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

• TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Dealer replaced the unit under warranty, as well as a bad HDMI cable.  Now the DVD player and the TV sound works.  Like many, we don’t watch TV while camping, but may put in a movie to watch when it’s a rainy day or in the evening.  The context of my earlier note was that we had a lot of items (16 to be exact) wrong or not working when we took delivery, and they were all, for the most part, things that could have easily been caught before the camper left the factory with a little attention.
  • WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    edited February 2020
    There are many options to replace the Jensen.  My Jensen in my T@G worked okay, but was pretty basic. I replaced it with a Seicane 2 din Android unit and love the upgrade. Just about any automotive radio head unit will go right in.  Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood all make good, DVD-capable units that are more or less drop-in. My Seicane has cellular, wifi, radio, GPS and a host of other features.  
    The Jensen has a larger than 2 din mounting hole but it's a simple affair to make a filler panel from plywood and mount it up. There are hundreds of options from there...

Here's a thread I did over on the T@G forum (same Jensen radio) on swapping it out:
    https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/429/an-interesting-radio-upgrade-perhaps/p2
    Upon first inspection, the wiring looks daunting, but it's pretty intuitive and not too difficult to do.  The wires are all labeled and it's just a matter of matching the new harness to the trailer wiring, one wire at a time.  There will be many wires on the new radio/head-unit that simply are not used. For example, most automotive radios come with a block of wiring that's for the "CAN bus". That's just tech-speak for "steering wheel controls". Unless you have installed a steering wheel in your trailer, you can simply ignore them. 

For those with deeper pockets, a great upgrade choice is to install a boat radio. (check places like "West Marine" or "Overton's"). The primary advantage to marine radios is that they can, in some cases, be had with a wired (ALWAYS go with wired) remote. You can stick your radio in its stock location but add a remote panel in the galley or other handy spot.  They are also mostly waterproof and hardy.  Don't bother with radios that have wireless remotes unless you also want to accidentally turn on the TV or led lights, etc.  Cheap wireless is rife with problems of that sort.

Then there are the computer based units.  They generally use a touchscreen tablet as the user panel and have pretty much the same capabilities as a tablet. My entire music collection is in my trailer on a USB flash drive and is accessible from the menu. I can get from Chello Concertos to Aerosmith to Ricky Skaggs with the stab of a button.  Once you've added USB, the sky really opens up.

Don't forget to remove the cheesy FM antenna and replace it with a better (longer) one if, like me, you listen to the radio....
    WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have seen other brands that don't use12v. That is a real drawback for boondockers. I dont spend enough time in my T@b to justify the cost upgrade but glad I have one.

I notice the 2021 models are using a Jensen that has an HDMI port, but no DVD player, which is fine by me. I generally use miracast and my phone, anyway. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Jensen is good about replacing these (earlier?) units where the DVD mostly doesn't work. Our replacement unit was manufactured in a different country, and now works fine. 
    2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
    Jeff --Front Range of Colorado
  • MickerlyMickerly Member Posts: 342
    We ran a cleaning disk and that helped. Also, up graded the speakers to Pioneers and stuffed the cabinet behind them with fiberfill to prevent the echoes in the cabinet.
    2018 320CS-S
    "Just Enough"