Options

tab 400 with fantastic fan. what is best option for rain operation?

I have been researching the best option to have my roof fan open all the time.
Option 1. Replace fan assembly with Maxx air fan and cover, or a similar unit.
Option 2. Fit a lowering or permanent vent cover to allow fantastic fan to be open in rain.
Option 1. Researching the popular Maxx air assembly.- easy to fit but poor service from manufacturer, no warranty with Amazon and control module prone to failure if there is a lot of condensation. Maybe some protective spray coating for the control board?
Option 2. None of the permanent covers last longer than a year or maybe two. The material gets brittle and falls apart.
Anyone got any other good options?

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Aero Flo vent covers are my choice. I put one on my T@B S Max soon after I bought it and it still looked good after 3 years when I traded it in. It was in the sun most out of its life with me. 

I had an Aero Flo vent cover on my Silver Shadow teardrop for two years before I upgraded to the T@B S Max. It was in my garage a lot when not traveling, 

I had the factory install an Aero Flo vent cover on my T@B 400 with the 13 speed Fantastic Fan and it has done well for the past 15 months. It still looks good, still doing its job of me being able to vent with A/C or with heat in any weather.  My 400 has been outside since the day I brought her home. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 611
    I just spent several days of rain in BC on our first voyage, one being quite the down pour day, with the basic Fantastic fan at the minimal open setting that allowed the fan to operate and had no issues with rain getting inside.  Now there was no wind, but it was totally doable.  So I would consider Option 3 (5?).
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    edited September 2019
    I agree with @Verna. I installed an Aeroflo hood 15 months ago and then upgraded to 14 speed 7350 kit. The Aeroflo does not block the factory solar panels on my late 2018 400. I can operate the fan in full rain/wind without issue.  
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Thanks peeps. Did you screw the cover or use silicon adhesive?
  • Options
    @Tundra57, if you follow the directions on the Aero Flo, you will drill 4 holes into the upright flange of the roof vent. The Aero Flo will be connected via screws to the flange. The top of the Aero Flo can easily be removed to clean the inside and outside of the Aero Flo.

There are no holes drilled into the roof, and no need for any sealant. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    What is this 15 speed upgrade kit? Does it make fantastic fan more efficient?
    There are two ways to control a DC motor speed. 1. Have a resistor in series, the bigger the resistor the slower the motor. But the resistor gets hot so is eating up energy. 2. An electronic variable output drive which is very efficient. There are two basic types and the PPM is the most efficient. I don't know what the fantastic or others use but I would be curious to find out.
  • Options
    What's the part number of the aero flo lid?
  • Options
    It looks like a camco 404. Anyone tried the fantastic fan cover which is supposed to fit easily on any fantastic fan?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Try this one, the one I used in 2015 for my T@B S Max:  

@Tundra57 I have no knowledge of the Fantadtic Fan Cover. I like the sleek look of the Aero Flo vent cover.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Thanks I'll order one. :-)
  • Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    Horigan said:
    I just spent several days of rain in BC on our first voyage, one being quite the down pour day, with the basic Fantastic fan at the minimal open setting that allowed the fan to operate and had no issues with rain getting inside.  Now there was no wind, but it was totally doable.  So I would consider Option 3 (5?).
    My 2020 T@b has the standard 3 speed fan. I do plan to install the upgrade kit to garner the power efficiency and quiet running benefits. But so far, I've left the vent cover open about an 1\2-1 inch full time for months with the windows at their cracked open setting to prevent any staleness, heat build up, or dampness. Through major, blows and storms and all day drizzle I've not gotten a drop of water inside.  I suppose I could also be running the fan on a low exhaust setting to further promote fresh air and prevent water infiltration against the current of air.  I do not anticipate ever needing an Aero Flow or other cover, and do no like what it might do to my gas mileage or added clearance concerns.
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    I have to admit I left my fan open a little in a storm and never got water inside. My Tundra gets low mileage anyway lol. But the clearance issue is worth thinking about.
    Also if the power saving is fractions of a watt then it's not worth it. I have to see a real comparison.
    My other issue with the standard fan is getting bugs in it. I got a huge beetle in it last camp and it drove me nuts till it died and I could get it out.
  • Options
    @Tundra57, I camp without electricity all winter in Arizona. With my T@B S Max, I could not use my 3 speed fan because it was such an energy hog. With the 13 speed Fantastic Fan, I can run it on one of the lower speeds and there is no drop in battery voltage as was on my other T@B. And, the noise level is unbelievably low—it seems that the high speed of the 13 speed is the same volume as the low speed of the 3 speed fan. Do a search on 7350 because I do believe the comparison in power consumption is on a discussion here.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    jrhameljrhamel Member Posts: 101
    I just bought the Maxxair fan and plan on installing tomorrow. I like the idea of being able to run it up or down. 
     20 T@G XL Boondock and 2019 Ford F 150 4x4

Madison, Wi
  • Options
    My 2020 T@b has the standard 3 speed fan. I do plan to install the upgrade kit to garner the power efficiency and quiet running benefits.
    Rather than the upgrade kit, I would consider just adding a PWM controller.  It is super quiet and uses a fraction of the power of lowest setting of the stock fan switch.  This one from Amazon has a great installation write up in the first review.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    The PWM controller was one of my thoughts. I'll check on the installation. Just gotta find somewhere to put it. :-)
  • Options
    I put mine here, though I tilted it to reduce the height so the fan shroud fully fit up into the enclosure.  I used a combination of dual sticky mounting tape and a glue gun. I put the speed control knob right next to it.

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    That's pretty awesome. Did you notice at slow speed if it was quieter? I'm definitely going to add that to my to do list. In fact I just opened up Amazon to buy it. Thankyou.
  • Options
    Verna I just got the fan cover, it looks great. I'm going to fit it this weekend.
  • Options
    @Tundra57, after having owned 3 of them, I have to say I’m a very satisfied customer. I’ve been in two different RV parks this summer in the Indy area and when I look at the clunky vent covers on the big rigs, I just smile. I know a way to make them look better =)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    It is a good choice. Price is good too. Nice job. B)
  • Options
    Tundra57 said:
    That's pretty awesome. Did you notice at slow speed if it was quieter? I'm definitely going to add that to my to do list. In fact I just opened up Amazon to buy it. Thankyou.
    The fan noise is WAY quieter with the PWM controller.  I looked at the Aero Flo vent cover and it is too big for me, 22" for a 14" vent cover.  I haven't had an issue with rain getting in, but if I do, I'll just clip off the end of the vent cover switch so it will allow me to have it barely open to run the fan at low speed, which is all I need in the Pacific NW.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Which way was the 22”, @Horigan? Mine is made for the 14” opening. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    I got the external dimensions from the Amazon listing for the 14" opening version.

"Rugged UV stabilized resin; Installed size is 22. 5” L x 20” W x 9” H"

Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    Bellingham WA
  • Options
    So fitted the aire flow cowl thanks @Verna and the PWM controller, thanks @Horigan. Both work awesome. So I think I'm done with that task. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Options
    Great news!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mikesnewjourneymikesnewjourney Member Posts: 28
    Has anyone ever install a Maxair fan 7500 on a T@B 400?  Just curious of the difficulty?  I know you cannot walk on the roof so I was wondering how you can do the job?  Thank you mikesnewjourney
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    @jrhamel, did you install your MaxAir in your 400?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44
    I have installed a MaxAir deluxe on my 400. I did not have to go on the roof to it !
    and can be done in a couple hours. I'll will need to type up the short cuts and tricks I used.
    2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Options
    Susan007Susan007 Member Posts: 5
    @Verna Great information.  Interested in upgrading fantastic fan and adding Aeroflow vent.  Any idea of total height for 2021 Tab 400 Boondock?  Looking at 9’8” height for storage unit!  Thanks!
    Susan/
    2021 T@b 400 Boondock
    2020 Kia Telluride AWD/
    Hattiesburg, MS