Battery alternatives

Forgive me, this has been discussed before but not for a while and prior posts are conflicting.  I have the original 12v battery in my 2017 320 CS-S.  I have a single panel solar panel, but this is not enough to allow me to use the full capabilities of the Tab (water pump, lights, USB ports)  when boondocking on cloudy day or shady campsite.  I would like to either install 2 6V batteries or a lithium battery.  Would like it to fit in the same space as the 12v battery in the tub on the tongue.  I would like to boondock for 3 - 4 days without worry. If you installed 2 6v batteries or lithium, where did you put them and who installed for you?  Local T@B dealer says one of the two 2 6v batteries would be outside of the battery/propane bin.  Not an ideal plan.  Thank you.

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I have the original 12 v battery and a 100 watt solar panel.  It is a challenge on a cloudy day, but I've always made it through fairly easily.  Unless you have a big need for more water pump, more lights, or more USB, the added expense of a thousand dollar lithium or the time and effort for 2 6v batteries might not be necessary.  A larger AGM battery might do you just fine.  I plan on replacing my stock battery of 70 amp hours with an AGM of 100 amp hours.  I will get a roughly 50 percent boost in usable power for about 200 dollars.  I will move from 35 usable amp hours to 50 usable amp hours. 

The real issue for you is probably the fridge, which does use plenty of amps.  For that reason, 2 6v would be a good improvement.

How big is your solar panel?  How do you monitor your battery?  What are you using your USB ports for?  The water pump hardly uses any power.  The reading lights can run for 10 hours and use only 1 amp. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • mikeimikei Member Posts: 6
    When wanting to add a battery I was told about these guys: www.enhancedperformancesystems.com.  They have a battery tray that fits into the single tray that allows you to fit either two 12 v. (which I did) or 6 v. inside the tub. The 12's fit tight. The 6's you may need to unbolt the tub and move it forward a bit. No room for the battery box however.  I had a leftover piece of horse stall mat which I cut to fit on top so nothing could touch the terminals with a piece of heavy plastic under it.

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2019
    Have you considered a single larger capacity 12V battery?  Some of us have a 150 Amp-Hour 12V battery, either golf cart or AGM.  They require a new custom battery frame(or platform) & box, but can still fit in the standard tub next to the propane tank.  They work well with solar panel & give enough capacity for 4 days of conservative use (~18-20AH/day) with frig & alde on propane.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods