Options

Ultimate Jack mod to tab 400.

There have been many explanations of this mod. I did this this weekend so I can open my truck tailgate when hitched. I also bought a 11" hitch to also help. I now get an inch of clearance so it's good. The job requires the lower hole that the jack slides thro to be opened up. The top hole is fine. I did this with my Dremel and a small grindstone. Round and round and round the hole inside- 4 battery charges worth. Then sprayed the insides black. The three bolt pattern fits the new jack. But at the front where the hitch plate is I ground the end off the jack plate so it fits flat. You could pack with washers but didn't like the look. Sprayed ground edge with silver paint. Greased everything and bolted up. I put nuts on the bottom of the bolts after they are threaded in. Just in case.
Looks great. I have pictures if anyone needs them but there are many awesome write ups already.

Comments

• Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    Tundra57 said:
    ...The job requires the lower hole that the jack slides thro to be opened up. The top hole is fine. ..
    I'm curious, was the lower hole too small, or just not aligned with the top hole?  On ours, the top and bottom holes were the same size, they just weren't concentric so I had to do the same as you.  If the factory had placed either the top or bottom plate just a hair different on ours, it would have been a drop in.
    Congrats on the the mod.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    Nope the bottom hole was way smaller on my 2019 Tab 400. It is annoying that the release is pointing backward not to the side, but I didn't want to drill new holes in the jack securing plate. Maybe when it becomes really annoying I might.
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    Tundra57 said:
    There have been many explanations of this mod. I did this this weekend so I can open my truck tailgate when hitched. I also bought a 11" hitch to also help. I now get an inch of clearance so it's good. The job requires the lower hole that the jack slides thro to be opened up. The top hole is fine. I did this with my Dremel and a small grindstone. Round and round and round the hole inside- 4 battery charges worth. Then sprayed the insides black. The three bolt pattern fits the new jack. But at the front where the hitch plate is I ground the end off the jack plate so it fits flat. You could pack with washers but didn't like the look. Sprayed ground edge with silver paint. Greased everything and bolted up. I put nuts on the bottom of the bolts after they are threaded in. Just in case.
    Looks great. I have pictures if anyone needs them but there are many awesome write ups already.
    Good install.  I agree with not using washers. I’d be concerned about stability and crud getting under the jack plate and causing corrosion.  An alternative to grinding off the front of the jack plate is a shim like this, designed for the Jack-It bike rack.  https://allproadventures.com/collections/teardrop-accessories/products/spacer-plate-for-jack-it-bike-rack
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    Tundra57 said:
    Nope the bottom hole was way smaller on my 2019 Tab 400. It is annoying that the release is pointing backward not to the side, but I didn't want to drill new holes in the jack securing plate. Maybe when it becomes really annoying I might.
    @Tundra57
    I just tried to install an Ultimate Jack on my 2021 T@B 400...and have the exact same problem with the lower hole being much too small (but concentric). Just venting at this point, but why in the name of all things good, would the lower hole be smaller than the upper one? Seems like a truly stupid bit of engineering from norco.
    I guess I'll try the dremel routine and see if I can get it opened up enough to make it work, but it is in such an inconvenient place to work on! Plus it's already about 1,500 degrees and 3000% humidity here in NC, so outdoor work is a bit painful.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Tundra57 I feel you. I bought an air grinder and spent 30 minutes enlarging the hole. When you are done, it will be worth the trouble.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    It was pretty annoying but worth it. Ive had the mod for a good while and no regrets. Also replaced the wheel with a flat foot. Better for me as i dont manhandle it without my tow vehicle.
  • Options
    @Tundra57
    Thanks for the encouragement to go for it and open up the bottom hole for the jack...and also for the idea of grinding the end off the Ultimate Jack mounting plate so it fits flush on the T@B's mounting surface.
    I ordered this die grinder bit from Amazon and used it in my drill, and it worked perfectly to open up the hole (really only took less than five minutes), and to grind off the end of the mounting flange that was too long (I don't currently have an angle grinder, so this was my use-what-I-got solution...but it worked great.) And by dumb luck I had the perfect metallic silver rustoleum paint to touch up the mounting plate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085T1ZZCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • Options
    @ChrisFix . Thats funny my name is Chris too lol. That cutter looks awesome. I just had grindstones.
    Oh and silver paint. :-)
  • Options
    And the final product:

• Options
    Nice job. Looks just like mine. How do you like it? @ChrisFix
  • Options
    @Tundra57
    So far I like it a lot. The ability to drop or raise the bulk of the jack without cranking endlessly seems like a big advantage. I also like the fact that if I want, I can remove the plastic keeper on the base collar and remove the entire jack very easily. I want to use it some more to decide if I want to just remove that plastic keeper or not...but I like having that option. 
    It also seems very sturdy and well built, and came with a jack foot plate that I wanted to have, so I consider that a small bonus!
    I had initially tried installing it using washers to raise the mounting plate to gain clearance over the welded plate on the coupler, but trimming the Ultimate Jack's mounting plate for a flush fit is definitely the better solution - thanks again for that nugget of user wisdom!!
  • Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    Can anyone tell me how high the collar of the Ultimate Jack  is with the jack taken completely off? I would like to make sure that buying this won't be for nothing, which would be the case if the collar would hit my tailgate. Thanks.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me how high the collar of the Ultimate Jack  is with the jack taken completely off? I would like to make sure that buying this won't be for nothing, which would be the case if the collar would hit my tailgate. Thanks.
    I'm not with my trailer currently, but I'd estimate the collar is about 3"...there is no scenario I can imagine where a tailgate could hit it.
  • Options
    B0atguyB0atguy Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2021
    Just measured our for you , and with the jack removed , the "collar" is 2 3/4" high from the top of the trailer frame (where the jack bolts onto) . 
    2023 Ford F150 Sport 3.5 Ecoboost 
    2024 NuCamp T@B 400 BD,  Grey / White 
    2016 Ford Transit 350 XLT - Adventure / Travel Van / 320s interior !
    2019 NuCamp T@B 320s Grey / Black - SOLD 

• Options
    GrandmasKidGrandmasKid Member Posts: 159
    B0atguy said:
    Just measured our for you , and with the jack removed , the "collar" is 2 3/4" high from the top of the trailer frame (where the jack bolts onto) . 
    Thanks very much. That helped me.
    2021 400 Boondock/ 2021 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I have installed the Ultimate Jack on our 400 as well.  As others have stated, I trimmed off the end of one of the base’s tabs using a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade. (I had to take the foot off of the jigsaw and “freehand” the cut since the foot on the jigsaw was too wide.). I also had to enlarge the bottom hole on the frame mounting plate by 2mm, again, using a jigsaw.  Not a pretty cut, but enough to fit the Ultimate Jack tube through.
  • Options
    SatexSatex Member Posts: 1
    This is now an old thread, but is the Jack e up an easier to install alternative? The cost difference is nill, and the usability is more important than the ease of install. 

Advice?
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    edited September 2022
    Downside of the Jack-e-up is that when you remove it to stow it, it is way more bulky than the Ultimate Jack.  I'm always pressed for stowage space, so it was worth the inconvenience of installation to go with the Ultimate Jack.  On my 400, I only had to enlarge the lower hole by about 1/32" - did it with a file in about 1/2 hour.
    I also modified the top of the ultimate jack with a 3/4" nut.  I now raise/lower with the same cordless drill that I use on my stabilizers.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,274
    The Ultimate Jack was our solution for swinging open the back door of our Jeep Wrangler. It removes by just pulling out a pin and lifting up. Stores nicely in the front basket while traveling. In the lowest position the door will clear without removing the jack.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler