Options

Be Careful of Truck Tire Debris on Highway

My 2019 T@B 400 yesterday was decapitated of it's plumbing underneath when a semi merge right in front of me and tire debris came from under the semi to my truck and then my T@B. I have left my  T@B at Hadocy RV in Columbus, Ohio waiting on a quote on repairs.  

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Commonly known as alligators.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I've lost two sewer hose holders due to "road gators"
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Dang!   Well, I guess you didn't need to go to dump, then?  Sorry, that was a sick joke.  I'm glad for you that it didn't do any more damage and you are safe.
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited September 2019
    I know this is a bad situation, but them gators are fast. Even baby gators can be full of poop themselves (I blame my badly-done, sick black-tank jokes on @lkc001 heh). :rofl: I am glad you didn't blow a tire and have that do much more damage, or that semi made you swerve and lose control. Being safe is what counts! The only thing you can do is to drop the speed, find a place to pull over safely, and access the poop, er scoop. :wink: You have earned your T@B University Badge for Surviving First Gator Attack. Here's hoping you get your camper fixed soon!

2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    @Ratkity Oh sure, blame it on me. . ..  . B)
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Road tire debris knocked my 7-pin connector out, and it was dragging on asphalt for several hundred miles last summer. I had no brake nor turn lights during that entire afternoon. Road rash virtually destroyed that 7-pin plug! 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    FergieFergie Member Posts: 143
    To reference older posts, this one was made a couple of years ago. In this thread we discussed having run over a tire tread that damaged our valves on our trip to Alaska in 2017 and having to have it repaired in South Dakota by a mobil RV repairman.

I mentioned there and still feel it would be good to protect these valves with some sort of guard from road debris as, unlike most RV's, the T@B valves are very low and at the front of the trailer. I haven't done anything about this yet, but I have been thinking about some sort of deflector guard attached to the frame and extending in front of the covers, but not interfering with hose attachment.

Wonder if any other owners have thought or done something about this exposure? 

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/82821#Comment_82821

In the above post I detailed our experience.

Fergie

• Options
    manatra2manatra2 Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2019
      $700.00 dollars of damage done to the valves. Haydocy of Columbus said it will take a month to repair. Not happy with that service .
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    manatra2 said:
      $700.00 dollars of damage done to the valves. Hadocy of Columbus said it will take a month to repair. Not happy with that service .
    $700 seems excessive to replace a couple of pieces of pipe! Is there more damage not pictured?

Unfortunately the one month wait at the dealer is extremely common across the industry. Too few trained RV techs. It may be worth seeing if there’s a mobile RV repair guy in your area, often they can get to you sooner.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    The biggest hold up with Hadocy is it isn't an airstream.      $700 seem super over priced 
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    @manatra2 $700??  I agree with the comments that it's excessive, unless they are having to go further into the trailer?   I would also suggest trying to find a mobile RV repair guy to come give you a quote.  Was there more damage to the trailer than just tearing the external plumbing off?  I'd be asking for a very detailed, written quote to start with.  Good luck!  
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    manatra2 said:
      $700.00 dollars of damage done to the valves. Haydocy of Columbus said it will take a month to repair. Not happy with that service .
    Totally outrageous quote. My guess $50 or less for parts and one hour labor. Get pictures of how it should look from another 400. Any RV parts store can sell you parts needed. Any good handyman or plumber can assemble the parts.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun