Towing question and WD hitches

RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
Hello Folks, 
I have read as much as possible on towing a NuCamp T@B 400 and what the best TV is etc. However, I am not completely confident in my understanding of all the comments posted. 
We currently have a 2019 T@B 320 Boondock Edge and tow with a 2016 Honda Pilot AWD. The Pilot puts out 280 HP and 262 ft/lbs torque. We have not noticed any major problems towing the 320 Boondock. 
We are considering upgrading to a 2020 T@B 400 as the bathroom in the 320 is rather tiny. However, will the Honda really be up to the job?
As I mentioned above, I have read the really good information and I fully understand that its not just getting the trailer down the road, its also about WD and the overall enjoyment of the trip. We tend to do very long trips and I often drive for a full day. A friend used to tow his Airstream with a Ford Bronco and always complained that he had a very rough day out on the road. I do not want to be in the same position.
Would a WD hitch be advisable and what are the impediments to installing one? I understand the crushing of the frame. Would it be a better solution to drill holes in the frame to mount the L brackets if this is even possible?
Anyone have an opinion of drilling holes in the frame and what does the manufacturer say?
I can see that the 400 has a fairly high tongue weight as the wheels are set back far under the trailer. 
I know this is an old subject and has been covered, however, I am still not totally confident in my understanding of the Pilot and towing a 400.
Thanks,
Keith Stamper
2019 T@B 320 Boondock Edge, 2016 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    edited September 2019
    I have a 2013 AWD Toyota Highlander and recently upgraded from a T@B 320 to 400.  The Highland has a 5000 lb towing capacity with 500 lb tongue load capability.  For me the transition to the 400 was noticeable, but I still felt comfortable with how it handled without a WD hitch.  I do need to aim my head lights down a bit since the rear sags a little bit.  I would check the Pilot towing capabilities, but I suspect they are the same.  I'm sure differing opinions will chime in, but I suggest trying it without the WD hitch and make the decision on how the vehicle handles.  If the wheel base of the pilot is much shorter than the Highlander, then that could be a concern.  Something to consider.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • simonseyzsimonseyz Member Posts: 44

Unless your Pilot has a full frame is not unibody, I would not recommend a WDH.

…… Just my two cents:)

2018 T@B 400+++2016 Chevy Colorado, 3.6 V6
    Hamburg, NY
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We have a 2018 T@B 400, and were towing with a 2016 Highlander. While it did handle the job, we used a WD hitch. We also recently decided to trade in the Highlander for a 2016 Ford F150 because we felt that the Highlander was pretty much at capacity even though it was rated for 5000/500. It struggled a bit in the Smokies, and we'd like to be able to tow through higher elevations than that in the future. The F150 model that we now have is rated to tow 7000lbs, which should be more than enough, plus there's more room in the TV for our gear. 
  • greggillgreggill Member Posts: 45
    I have a 2019 tab 400 and have towed with a 2012 Honda Pilot. I actually like it as a tow vehicle. It's comfortable to drive and generally does well with the 400. I would not use a WD hitch. It would add to your tung weight at the hitch. If I load the Pilot to heavily with the 400 it tends to squat a bit in the back. I realize the WD hitch would correct for that I just haven't seen it used with the Pilot and don't think its necessary. Someone else might feel differently. I know a few people who have the 400 and use the Pilot as the tow vehicle and really like it. Having said that I recently bought a Toyota Tacoma to use as a tow vehicle also.
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    simonseyz said:

Unless your Pilot has a full frame is not unibody, I would not recommend a WDH.

…… Just my two cents:)

@Rerail ^^^THIS. WDH is typically a huge no-no with unibody construction, and the Pilot appears to be unibody rather than body on frame. Please check your owner’s manual for whether or not a WDH is allowed, before going any further with this idea!
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    VictoriaP said:

@Rerail ^^^THIS. WDH is typically a huge no-no with unibody construction, and the Pilot appears to be unibody rather than body on frame. Please check your owner’s manual for whether or not a WDH is allowed, before going any further with this idea!
    This is a little overstated.  Many manufacturers of unibody SUVs allow for the use of WDHs.  In fact, frequently you will see two towing capacities listed—the limit for weight carrying hitches, and then the maximum capacity the vehicle can take with a WDH.  As mentioned above, the real problem with the Pilot is it’s relatively low tongue weight limit, not that it’s a unibody.  If we were talking instead about a Jeep Grand Cherokee, another unibody SUV, towing the 400 wouldn’t be an issue.  Jeep limits towing without a WDH to 3500 lbs.  WIth a WDH the limit jumps to 7200.

The unibody vs body on frame debate is a holdover from the debate about whether you should ever tow with a vehicle other than a truck.  Today, there are many very capable SUVs that can tow modest loads without issue relegating the debate to one of preference, not requirement.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
    Thanks you everyone for you valuable input and advice. Just to be clear the Honda Pilot is a uni-body vehicle and the manual only seems to talk about towing capacity. With a transmission cooler it’s 5000lbs and with out its 3500lbs. 
    I will probably test-tow the 400 before we decide. Also it will of course depend on the deal they offer me. The only issue I have with the 320 is the bathroom is small and I did not realize at the time of purchase that it would be a problem. 
    The Honda is an 8 passenger vehicle and has three rows of seats. When we tow our 320 it’s just my wife and I plus two very small dogs. We do not load up the back of the TV
    Thanks again
    Keith