winterizing & shower heads

I am winterizing with RV antifreeze.   After running anitifreeze through the lines & through all faucets/toilet, etc. (with the exception of the Alde),  do you unhook/remove the shower head from inside shower & outside shower & store in the house for the winter or do you just leave them attached?  
2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
Woohoo!

Comments

• HoriganHorigan Member Posts: 604
    Personally I leave them attached after disconnecting them, removing the head, and shaking the fluid out of the complete shower head.
    Rich
    2019 T@b 400
    2013 Toyota Highlander 3.5L V6
    Bellingham WA
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Inside is all we have. I disconnect it from the faucet and let it hang so the hose will drain.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I only have the inside shower and don't do anything special to it other than let it hang for a bit after blowing everything out. However, I vaguely recall there may have been some potential issues with water getting trapped in the outside shower fixture that may have called for some added intervention.
    2015 T@B S
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    When I blow out my lines I include both shower hoses. Just another part of the system. I also only put antifreeze down the toilet, shower drain, and sink drain, about a half gallon a winter. I’m in snow country and this method works well. I do move both black and gray water gates in and out a bit to be sure there’s antifreeze in each so they don’t break during freeze/thaw cycles. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    I would like to thank @Sharon_is_SAM for the "blow out method" winterizing .pdf in the files section.  Went through the process yesterday and seems I made it work.  Took a bit to get the Alde to drain.  I kind of moved the tongue up and down and ran the pump a bit, and was about to give up when there was a burp and a solid stream of water from the drain. 

On the subject of showers:  don't forget your outside shower attachment.  I found plenty of water there when all the other faucets were blowing air.

One question because I've never done this before:  I'm assuming the "water vapor" that I'm finally left with after the faucets expel most of the water is ok?  Even after several attempts at each faucet the air coming through still is a little "moist". 

Thanks again!
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    One question because I've never done this before:  I'm assuming the "water vapor" that I'm finally left with after the faucets expel most of the water is ok?  Even after several attempts at each faucet the air coming through still is a little "moist". 
    A little residual water in the lines is probably not going to cause any trouble. It's when the lines are full that the water freezes, expands, and has nowhere to go so things start splitting.
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Welcome @pthomas745.  I will refer back to that again this year, too.  When you only do it once a year it does not become routine, so the PDF is helpful.  

Regarding the “moist” air - last year I found out it paid off to open only one outlet at a time and let the pressure of the compressor climb in between.  (We use a small, portable 12v  compressor.). The lines were quite dry compared to our previous attempt.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio