What to expect from a dealer-am I expecting too much?

manxtalesmanxtales Member Posts: 15
edited November 2021 in Trailer & Towing
We looked at our T@B 400 Boondock in early February 2019 and took possession on May 2.  It is our first trailer and was new.  When we looked at it in February we noticed the plastic strip along the hinges on the bathroom door had 3 cracks in it and were assured that it would replaced.  When we picked it up it hadn’t been replaced.  We were told the part hadn’t come in yet.  When we got it home we discovered the TV didn’t work and the bathroom fan was very loud and the fan blades were hitting something on the sides.  We let the dealer know and they said they would look at it when they fixed the door.   In June I called to check on the status of the part and they reported it was still on order.  We checked again June 20th and it still wasn’t in.  At that point I sent an email to NuCamp asking if they would check to see if it had been ordered and was told I had to go thru the dealer.  Finally discovered on August 1st that it had never been ordered.  We got the part in early September and they had to order a new TV.  Just got the trailer back September 26th.  The trailer looked like new when we dropped it off (we have only spent 4 nights in it) but it wasn’t very clean when we picked it up.  I cleaned greasy fingerprints off the bathroom door on both sides, scuff marks on the cabinet near the main door, dirt, footprints and drill shavings from the bathroom floor and leftover parts from the fan replacement and a dirty rug in the main area of the trailer.  Before we had left the dealership I noticed the old TV was sitting on the dining table and I took that into them.

For some reason I expected them to clean up their mess and also to get the trailer back in time to enjoy summer.  I feel like we have been cheated out of several months warranty too.   What is normal in these situations?

Thanks!
T@B 400 Boondock Lite named Tabby pulled by a dark gray 2012 Toyota Tacoma (Emily)

Comments

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    You should certainly discuss this with nuCamp.  NuCamp will want to know about your displeasure.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Email customerservice@nucamprv.com as they are interested in how the dealers are treating the customers. They will direct you to the proper departments for your concerns. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Unfortunately, the RV industry suffers from too many sloppy dealers with poor customer service.  That is why there is a forum Category for members to report their experiences for reference - good or bad.  Report your experience to nuCamp customer service as they pick and choose who will sell their products.  To have the dealer service department follow through with your order, complete your repair work in a timely manner and return your TaB to you tidy and clean are not excessive expectations.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • manxtalesmanxtales Member Posts: 15
    Thanks everyone.  This dealer has mostly very good reviews so I’m glad to know that isn’t the normal experience.
    T@B 400 Boondock Lite named Tabby pulled by a dark gray 2012 Toyota Tacoma (Emily)

• 3DogHouse3DogHouse Member Posts: 3
    Late to the party - but.... RV dealerships should be at least as responsible as car dealerships... but they aren't.  They don't know as much as they should and they expect you to drop off your vehicle for weeks or months instead of the one day turn-around most should be.  Car dealerships tell you exactly how long something will take, not some vague idea.  The only way this will change is for buyers to start seriously expecting the dealers behavior to be as professional as it should be.  Don't let them over-book for one.  Sur,e there are a lot of different models and companies - but I learned what most salesmen know from just doing basic research for a couple of weeks before buying - they should have all the nuances down pat - and some do... but they all SHOULD... its their job.  Now, when campers are a sellers market, the dealers think they can be even more lax then they were previously.  NO, we need to expect more from them and be vocal about both their faults as well as the dealers that live up to the bar.  Being just nice people doesn't cut it - they need to understand the product, communicate clearly, deliver on their words, and stand by the product.  PUBLISH the misses on each and every one of them - for every reason... they will start behaving like the should.
    2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    For the rest of us in the community--especially someone who is in the market for a trailer--tell us who and where this wonderful dealer is.

• Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I would let the dealer owner know first about the issues and sloppy work, tell them you are going to contact nuCamp about their bad service.  Give the dealer a chance to set this straight first.  Sounds like this dealer needs to re-educate some of his/her staff, or ?
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    My experience has been good. I purchased from Miller Trailer sales in PA. They are awesome. I almost purchased from petes trailer sales, but their service reviews were chronic.
    Unfortunately, even when you do your research, you can end up with a crap dealer, and there are many.
    Make sure you detail all of this to Nucamp. They often will send replacements directly if you feel a bit handy. BTW my bathroom fan collapsed too. The plastic supports for the motor broke. I did an emergency fix and contacted Nucamp (out of warranty), they still sent me a complete new assembly. Took a hour to fit. My dealer is 4 hours away so I chose to do some of the odd jobs. But i have always had the parts sent to me and awesome support to put the stuff in.
    I think the bathroom fan is the only part I think is rubbish in my whole camper. Love everything else.
  • CharlieRNCharlieRN Member Posts: 438
    edited November 2020
    Tundra57 said:
    My experience has been good. I purchased from Miller Trailer sales in PA. They are awesome. I almost purchased from petes trailer sales, but their service reviews were chronic.
    . . .
    I think the bathroom fan is the only part I think is rubbish in my whole camper. Love everything else.
    It's great to hear that Miller is a good dealer - we ordered a 320 BD through them rather than take one from stock from one of the larger dealers nearby. They have been terrific to deal with and it's good to see our initial favorable impression borne out. The only drawback is that we have to wait until March for delivery.
    It's also great to hear that only one part of the camper is sub-standard. We looked at a number of other campers, before settling on the T@B because we liked the thoughtful layout and it seemed better built than the competition.
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock / 2022 Telluride - Phillies/Eagles/Flyers Country
  • lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    Absolutely report your experience directly to Nucamp and post it here as well.  You will be helping out another Tab owner when they start shopping.  These lazy sloppy and questionable dealers should have their feet held to the fire and know people are reporting on their business model.  I have reported on dealers in my area, good and not so good.  JMHO
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    I make it a point not to expect much when it comes to any type of service, and I am rarely disappointed.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    @CharlieRN make sure you have over an hour to spare when you pick up your Tab. The Miller walkthrough is very thorough. These guys camp on one too. They know the campers inside out, you can ask any question. I live in Connecticut, so its quite a drive, but I am so glad I chose them. i have met both the Millers but not the two younger children who help out. They are not always there when you call, but leave a message or EMail them and they get right back.
    Enjoy your new Camper. The cabinetry is made by the Amish I was told. Proper dovedail joints not screws and chewing gum lol.
  • linolino Member Posts: 224
    I actually recorded my walkthrough with Preston Miller

He is very patient and the recording was a great reference for me
    The dealer is Apache on 82nd Avenue in Happy Valley/Clackamas, Oregon.  We just contacted them with another issue and they are not helpful.

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @manxtales coincidentally, I was probably on the phone with them the same time you were (3pm)! Yeah, not friendly and very curt. (I bought my '18 in Bend at Big Country RV and they weren't very good either-luckily I didn't need warranty work).  I want Apache to order a platform and new aluminum tub plus a lithium compatible WFCO converter (8735LiS) for a direct swap to work better with my BB lithium battery. I wish I were sure I could do the work myself after reading about the condition of your trailer after they were done.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @dsfdogs for the converter I would consider am solar in Springfield, I know it is a bit of a drive but they are good with everything battery, solar, inverters, etc. The platform and tub has to be a dealer and the killer is the shipping otherwise I would recommend Gerton's in Indiana, might still be worth it.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    @N7SHG_Ham, ok thanks. I'll contact them tomorrow to get pricing for comparison.
    Debbie in Oregon

@dsfdogs. Do you anything about Blue Dog RV in Redmond?  We are looking at selling the T@B and getting a class B Thor Sequence and they seem to have the best deals.  
    Good luck with Apache!

@manxtales no personal experience, sorry. Very exciting about the move to the class B though! Good luck!
    Debbie in Oregon