Winterizing - Hand pump or water pump?

I've been winterizing for several years now using the blowout and antifreeze method.  This past summer, during one of the few times we camped with city water, a leak sprung in the back of the toilet.   When I posted on the forum, it was mentioned that this is a weak point if any part of the system freezes.  Funny that the leak would show up in July though.  Several methods for winterizing discussed on the forum assume using the T@B's water pump to disperse antifreeze throughout the system.  Other methods mention using a hand pump and not using the water pump.  Which is preferable?
2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
States Visited Map

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I don't know if there is a preference. As long as both pumps do same job, it shouldn't matter. I just did my 400, took the inlet hose from the pump off at next connection back and stuck it direct in a jig of antifreeze, it sucked it right out of there and I did flush the toilet to make sure it had antifreeze. I was mostly concerned about the pump and toliet after blowing the system with compressed air. Next spring will be the reveal party to see what broke!
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    @T@Balong, after blowing out with air, I connected the water pump directly to the toilet to pump antifreeze through both without putting any in the rest of the plumbing, except drains..

https://tabforum.nucamprv.com/#/discussion/9137/a-modified-hybrid-winterizing-method-pump-toilet-shower

The above link shows how I also pumped some directly into the outside shower plumbing, using a homemade device.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Assuming the hand pump method feeds through the city water connection, my only (small) concern would be that you might leave some residual water in the pump. The above suggestions ensure that the pump also gets fully flushed with antifreeze.
    2015 T@B S
  • T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Because I've used the blowout/RV antifreeze method for four years, I'm beginning to think that the issue with the faulty valve on the back of the toilet may have been more the result of cheap antifreeze.   I agree that running antifreeze through the water pump seems to be a wise practice.  
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    T@Balong said:
    Because I've used the blowout/RV antifreeze method for four years, I'm beginning to think that the issue with the faulty valve on the back of the toilet may have been more the result of cheap antifreeze.
    Maybe, though I suspect it's as much the result of cheap construction. RV toilet valve assemblies aren't particularly robust, but they are inexpensive and easy to replace.
    2015 T@B S